[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

asbestos for the rest of us

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3189.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3189.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
i am a total idiot with no idea what i'm doing.

when i signed my lease, there was an adendum that our building has not been tested for asbestos.

if i just want to drill a couple of holes to hang curtains, should i take in a sample to a lab to test for it?

i've researched the topic a bit and found an accredited lab that quoted me a $50/sample (+ $25 processing) fee, which definitely seems steep.

pic related is where i want to put a few holes. once again, i realize that i'm an idiot asking dumb questions. please help me be less of one.
>>
>>1144203
>if i just want to drill a couple of holes to hang curtains, should i take in a sample to a lab to test for it?
Asbestos generally isn't used in drywall or wall insulation. It might be in the ceiling if you have popcorn ceilings or some kind of paneled ceiling. It is also found in pipe insulation, HVAC ductwork insulation, attic space insulation (Xonolite), and laminate floor tiles.

Either way, drilling a half dozen small holes is not going to release enough asbestos to cause harm.

How old is the house? If it was built after 1980 is probably has zero asbestos in it. If it is older than that the odds go up the older it is.
>>
How old is property?
That's a standard clause, saying it hasn't been tested for asbestos. Primarily when there's 99.9% the only asbestos in the place is in the chinese furniture you bring in to the place.

Just like everything causes cancer in california. Instead of going through the list of materials for every product, they just put the disclaimer on everything, it's cheaper and no one cares about the warning anyway.
>>
Don't worry OP, you're probably not an idiot, you just don't know.

Asbestos is in drywall, typically less than 1%. Its more commonly found in drywall mud at about 1-4% rates, only before 1985. Everything else in this post is true >>1144218

Drilling holes? are you putting up curtains or picture frames? Just whack a nail in, take it out, then screw your screws in.

If you're overly worried about it, get a spray bottle of plain tap water, wet the materials, and spray the drywall as you go, or as the dust comes out. Sponge it up. Don't use a vacuum cleaner, it'll just get it back in the air faster unless its built for ultra fine particulate filtering.

Asbestos is only bad if you inhale it or eat it. Try to avoid that and you'll be fine. Same goes for lead paint (for old houses).
>>
>>1144224
>>1144218

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate the information.

The apartment was built in 58 according to apartments.com. It's been heavily renovated since.

I just read through the lease and it says that the apartment tested negative for lead-based paint, which I would guess is also a good sign.

The language re: asbestos does come off as a general libability disclosure, as stated above.

Would it be worth it for me to grab a $30.
>>
>>1144232

*$30 respirator mask
>>
>>1144228

Awesome, thanks so much for the help.
>>
>>1144232
Grow a set of balls, drill the damned holes, and quit being a whiney urbanite little bitch.
>>
>>1144232
Instead of paying 30 for the mask (plus filters) I would do the lab test for the 70 bucks... Obe time investment an you wobt have to worry for the rest of your living there... And if it comes out positive I'm sure you can take some legal means and gain somemoney out of it
>>
>>1144203
As it's residential you get away with a lot. Here in the UK if someone were to drill into a surface what later turns out to be asbestos, everything in that room has to be disposed of, at least in the commercial end of the spectrum.

Frankly if you suspect it, don't touch it.
>>
File: dangers-asbestos-infographic.jpg (2MB, 902x3742px) Image search: [Google]
dangers-asbestos-infographic.jpg
2MB, 902x3742px
>>1144228
>Asbestos is in drywall, typically less than 1%. Its more commonly found in drywall mud at about 1-4% rates, only before 1985. Everything else in this post is true >>1144218 #

You're not correct and your ignorance only poses a major health risk to anyone who isn't educated on it such as home gamers. That 1% is enough to lead to asbestosis. And it's much higher than that and was only outlawed in the US in 1990 and 2000 in the UK so there's a chance that products pre-this date may still contain asbestos.

>>1144232
A $30 respirator won't protect you.
>>
>>1144218
This.

Mesothelioma dudes are lifer construction or factory workers. U good
>>
>>1144461

This is incredibly wrong. People have been known to suffer the effects of asbestos from residue on the clothes of their partners who have worked around asbestos. Please stop spreading misinformation. It's not a meme lads.
>>
Rather have asbestos in my house and die in 50 years from cancer than die screaming in a fire.
>>
>>1144477
That's still an above average exposure level.
>>
>>1144532
Exactly my point, so you certainly should go drilling into anything that has a chance of containing asbestos.
>>
OP here again. So is my move to take a small sample into a lab? Just use adhesives to hang my blackout curtains (the only thing I'm doing btw - 3M jumbo hooks wouldn't hold even one though)?

Thanks.
>>
>>1144572
Fuck your asbestos shilling.
After i paid a company to remove my shit they put a hole in my ceiling and left a six foot flue in my attic. Now they tell me to just grab it in my unntrained hands, walk it through my house and leave it on the curb for them to pick up. Because now its all fucking okay because i already paid them.

You're all fucking criminals.
>>
>>1144492
I'm sure the other twin tower that collapsed first and shocked it's neighbor would have rather had 100feet more asbestos like it's brother got

Even though it was burning an hour less,it still collapsed first because they did t habe any comparable replacement for asbestos and it didn't meet it's original burn time requirements anymore.
>>
>>1144613
Not sure what you mean by shilling but as long as it's not my lungs you can fuckin' chew on it for all I'm bothered.
>>
>>1144203
>$50/sample (+ $25 processing) fee, which definitely seems steep.
lolno.
Pretty cheap for lab work really.
Not to mention if they sample a test negative and then 2years later asbestos is found that lab/company is fucked.
>>
>>1144613
>paying the entire price when the work isn't finished.

It's like you didn't know what you were doing even when you started.
>>
>>1144477
yeah and they were powdered with asbestos from work and the woman at home would shake the clothing in the yard and wash it
>>
>>1144235
>>1144232
All you're doing is drilling holes, man. Asbestos does nothing as long as you don't disturb it, and even then, the major diseases caused by asbestos require heavy exposure. The people who match this description of heavy exposure are the people who initially built the house you live in, and the factories that produced the materials.
Those people had to deal with breathing in a fog of asbestos everywhere. You're just drilling a hole.
>>
>>1144421
don't listen to this troll. even if your walls did have it (they probably don't), a few holes is not going to harm you. You'd need long term exposure before developing any issues.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.