/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New shitty apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1489384573410-2130099210.jpg (830KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1489384573410-2130099210.jpg
830KB, 2560x1536px
My exhaust fan above the toilet would just hum and do nothing when i turned the light switch super annoying.

I want to clean all the pieces and grease the moving parts on the fan but im not sure if its the motor

Explain how it works like im an idiot cuz i would expect the motor to have wires attached to the source
>>
File: 1489384787944-1579885187.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1489384787944-1579885187.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>
motor shaft holds the fan blades, one drop of light mineral oil each into where the shaft goes into the motor case. Grab the shaft and move it up and down to get the oil slide into the (plain) bearing. Spin by hand and add more oil if it is still not spinning easily.

replace with new exhaust fan if shaft is still hard to rotate
>>
File: 1489384885550264164864.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1489384885550264164864.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
Dammit sorry my stupid phone is posting these pictures facing the wrong way
>>
>>1143816
ac induction motor. power flows through wire, makes magnetic field in the iron plates, spins the fan via the magnetic field formed.
>>
>>1143820
Cool thanks one more question

Whats powering the motor? Just contact with the metal and copper?
>>
>>1143822
By george DIY ur community is known throughout the internet for your nobility and honor
>>
>>1143816
>just hum and do nothing

Can you spin the propeller freely? ( with the current turned off)
If no, grease the bearings.

If it spins freely with your hand, but still hums it could be the capacitor.

To check, turn the power on and "help" the propellor to start spinning. (Without losing a finger)

If its a problem with the capacitor, the motor should then kick in and start spinning as normal.
>>
> If its a problem with the capacitor

these little induction motors dont have capacitors. the two most common troubles are (1) blown thermal fuses, and (2) seized shaft. since it hums, it has to be #2, and the solution is cleaning and oiling.
>>
>>1143823
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-pole_motor

>A shaded-pole motor is a small squirrel-cage motor in which the auxiliary winding is composed of a copper ring or bar surrounding a portion of each pole.[1] This auxiliary single-turn winding is called a shading coil. Currents induced in this coil by the magnetic field create a second electrical phase by delaying the phase of magnetic flux change for that pole (a shaded pole) enough to provide a 2-phase rotating magnetic field.
>>
>>1143882
Could also be the bearings have too much play and allow the rotor to hit the stator. The rotor will turn by hand, but once energized, the magnetics will cause it to stick and just hum.
>>
>>1143835
>It could be the capacitor

It's a tiny 120v bathroom fan. He even posted pictures you dense cunt.

It's clearly the bearings.
>>
>>1144278
these always wear out over time. if it doesn't work after a cleaning or greasing then its toast. you can often find a replacement motor as they are pretty common. just get another one and swap it out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.