[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which 3d printer to buy? Also general 3d printing thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 26876073403_8de4a82a34_h.jpg (883KB, 1600x1248px) Image search: [Google]
26876073403_8de4a82a34_h.jpg
883KB, 1600x1248px
Fairly new to 3d printing, but I know I'm going to be using whichever I buy quite a bit throughout my industrial design education. Both are decently similar in cost and have great feedback but there are so many things to consider that I can't decide.
I was a Tiko backer so obviously I'm frustrated, amplified because I just recieved the M3D micro a few days ago (pissed at how tiny the print bed is)
The monoprice is built like a tank, and besides all the acrylic so is the tarantula. both are very customizable, but I've heard calibrating the monoprice is frustrating. The tarantula's print bed is much larger, (especially with the upgraded 200x280 bed) but it's a DIY kit which might be a downside considering I've never built a 3d printer before. soo many things to consider.
What do you think would be the better way to go?
>>
This would be more suitable for the /3dpg/ thread, whenever the new one pops up. Which monoprice are you refering to? Monoprice just sell rebadged stuff from other manufacturers.
>>
Go for monoprice since you were stupid enough to fall for tiko and M3D.

If you were retarded enough not to see the red flags in those machines, you putting a kit together that is known to be a fire hazard straight out of the box isn't a good idea
>>
>>1144176

No need for the insults, guy. But i agree, it may be best if OP gets a prebuilt machine. The various printrbot models are "just werks" type of machines, but they cost more also.
>>
File: 1455996310372.jpg (28KB, 400x390px)
1455996310372.jpg
28KB, 400x390px
>>1143761
Please check the catalog before making a thread, to make sure that you're not bumping any other more developed threads off into oblivion. This is a slow board, and threads take some time to properly develop. It's bad enough as it is with people continuously making threads about tiny houses, container stuff, headphones, tools, and off the grid type shit without doing any research themselves.

Not only does posting in a thread made for the specific subject help the dynamics of the board, but you'll also come across people that are more experienced in the subject matter. If you had just bothered to go to the catalog and search for "3D Printing" you'd see the thread I'm referring to.
>>1144211
You don't get called a retard without acting retarded.
>>
>>1144216
>wants people to be part of a community
>calls them retards
>>
>>1144248
Every shit eater is hopping on the 3d printer fad and falling for shit tier kikestarter stuff because they don't like the communities answer towards said products. They fall into the hype machines of sites like gizomodo, that swear up and down how its the most ground breaking product to come out and how its going to put big business in the poor house
>>
>>1143761
tarantula is a piece of shit get the Anet A8 (but not off fucking gearbest that site is run by the shadiest chinks)
>>
>>1144433
>recommends acrylic crap over metal frame

You better have some solid arguments to back up that recommendation...
>>
File: chink merchant.jpg (44KB, 600x701px) Image search: [Google]
chink merchant.jpg
44KB, 600x701px
>>1144436
>>
>>1144433
A8 is solid but it's one of those "kinda bad out of the box, needs lots of upgrades" things, which might be difficult for a new printer user

alternatively; it's a good way for a new printer user to learn stuff

if you want something cheap that just works, hoppyking has their fabricator mini which is pretty robust
>>
>>1144488

There are chinaman stores that sell i3s with "up to spec" steel or aluminium frames for about as much as an A8 you know... Just search for "Prusa i3 metal" on Aliexpress
>>
>>1144498
what tends to get you is the quality of the hotend and extruder, actually. non-rigid frames start to matter only when you're printing at higher speeds, which newbies probably dont care as much about.

which is why the number one "fix" of an A8 is to immediately replace the hotend with an e3dv6 and the extruder with an e3d titan
>>
>>1144505
If they are the same price, why not start with a metal frame and upgrade the hot end, rather than needing to upgrade the hot end AND the frame.

I've seen lots of Anet shilling since hackaday or whoever got paid to post an article about it however long ago. Yet, I've yet to see a single post on /3dpg/ of someone that has one. Reason? Anet is a shitty printer and we all know it. Much better options are available for the price.
>>
>>1144537
at this point, the a8 might not be the best thing in its price range but the massive amount of support for it is a huge plus. there's tons of mods available on thingiverse and lots of videos on all kinds of improvements.

you might get some no-name thing that's objectively better but a large community is really helpful for new printer users
>>
>>1144560
It wouldn't need support if it worked a-okay in the first place. The fact that is needs so many fixes for it to have serviceable prints is a huge red flag.

New printer users shouldn't need to deal with the trivial issues the A8 presents. And also, it's based on the i3, which there is a shitton of community already. The community for the A8 developed because there are so many inherent problems with the damn thing and the people who spent money on it were stubborn enough to try and fix the damn thing.

New users should get economic printers which have the least problems and produce the best prints they can. Not a piece a garbage that can be made to perform very well by replacing every component after dumping twice the amount of money into it.
>>
>>1144560
Do you have an Anet A8?
>>
>>1144563
you still haven't listed alternatives?
>>1144564
no, i actually don't even have a cartesian, i have a heavily modified ultibots delta
>>
>>1144308
>Emerging tech
>Hate that it's not old and establishmed
>>
>>1144560

What sort of massive support is that? The reprap community or Prusa Research who invented the thing it's cloning... Or is documenting all the places they cut costs at supposed to count as support...
>>
>>1144583
3D printing is 20 years old faggot

>>1144433
Instead of getting this one house fire, let me suggest a different type of house fire for you

Its easy for alternatives to chink shit starts a house fire
Monoprice select mini, Cetus3D
Monoprice maker select v2/ plus, makerfarm pegasus series
powerspec 3d pro
prusa i3 mk2, 12" pegasus, rostock max v3, ultibots d300vs, monoprice ultimate, wanhao duplicator 5s mini
>>
>>1144610
the deluge of model-specific support videos on youtube
the entire forums or subforums dedicated to it
the fact that almost everyone seems to know exactly how to troubleshoot it and make it print really well for not much investment.

honestly any chinese model could have ended up like this, the A8 just got enough momentum from the start to keep rolling i guess
>>
>>1144878
Ever think the reason why there is so many model specific support videos for it is that it is so crap tastic that it needs it for the majority of people to even manage to print a half way melted looking benchy?
>>
>>1144932
if you're the same guy who's been ragging on it for a while, i'm still waiting for ther alternatives you're implying?
unless this is they
>>1144634
which is an alright list
>>
File: ub1smht[1].jpg (43KB, 400x350px)
ub1smht[1].jpg
43KB, 400x350px
>itt
>>
>>1144537
>>1144560
I have one. It isn't a particularly bad printer out of the box; I wouldn't run high temp plastics through it without upgrading it first, but it's good for what I got it for (mucking about with PLA).
>>
>>1143761
Wouldn't your school have one much better than anything you can afford?
>>
>>1143761
I've had my monoprice IIIP since like early last December. No issues. Making things having fun. I recommend it and I'm kind of a noob.
>>
>>1145065
Leveling the IIIP is easy if they give you the allen wrench and all you need to buy a mini picture frame level. They are like a few bucks.
>>
File: IMG_4429_1024x1024.jpg (200KB, 1024x1024px)
IMG_4429_1024x1024.jpg
200KB, 1024x1024px
anyone got any idea if this is up for free anywhere?
>>
Who makes good PET or PETG filament?
I'm looking to try something other than PLA
>>
I've got an A8 what is some interesting shit I can print with it?

also: fuck capatcha
>>
>>1145143
wish I knew, maybe a private tracker
>>1145154
Push Plastic, Atomic Filament, Hatchbox is ok, eSun is meh, MG Chemicals , StainSmart, 3D Solutech, E3D edge, rigid.ink, Taulman TECHG, Taulman t-glase, Taulman guidel!ne
>>
>>1144634
>Uses jargon to appear smart
>Uses pejoratives to prove idiot
>>
>>1145143
I am also interested in quin, anyone got it?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.