[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to test how much load/amps an outlet can take?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: outlet-overload-1.jpg (46KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
outlet-overload-1.jpg
46KB, 200x300px
Is there a way to test how much load/amps an outlet can take?

I suspect one of my 15amp breakers is being shared by another outlet or something else because it routinely trips with low usage.
>>
First check which outlets are connected together by switching off the breaker.
>>
File: 1374803555571.jpg (23KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1374803555571.jpg
23KB, 500x382px
>>1143664
take a multimeter and put it in amps mode and stick it in the socket it will tell you the max amperage the socket can provide
>>
>>1143678
Skip this step or wear a face shield
>>
15amps x 120volts = 1800watts
Breaker should trip at around 1800watts.
Turn off breaker like anon suggested & see what goes off.

Breaker could be failing if no other loads are found.

>>1143678
disregard the shitposter
>>
>>1143664
I'll give you one free no bullshit response, and this is a rarity on 4chan.
STEP1: home Depot, buy a 30$ multimeter with the clamp looking g thing on the end. This device reads amp draw. Buy gloves while you're there.

STEP2: go to breaker box. Take off the surrounding cover and find the wires going to the breaker. Carefully clamp around the black wire going to it. Doesn't matter which.

STEP3: plug everything in you normally use. Monitor the amps at which it trips. Chances are the outlet also powers lights and other outlets. The breaker may also allow a short burst of high ampdraw.

Be mindful that this box contains 240V as well. Turn the main off for more security, but this does not turn off power to that box. It only turns off power to the breakers. Power is still sitting at the switch where you terminated it.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you could do the same test on the black wire AFTER ALL LOADS outside the box, but this is much harder to find.
>>
File: 41nMQyqE75L._SY355_.jpg (15KB, 182x355px) Image search: [Google]
41nMQyqE75L._SY355_.jpg
15KB, 182x355px
>>1143675
>>1143688
>>1143695
Thanks but I don't have access to all the outlets (but do have access to the breaker). I'm in a larger building and think other outlets may be on my breaker.

My (probably bad) idea was to use one of these and plug in some larger appliances to see at what amperage the breaker trips. If it's something like 10a and the breaker is 20a, I would assume something else is drawing power.

>>1143695
It's a super old school one with socket fuses. I guess I could take it apart and get to the wires behind it.
>>
>>1143695
>>1143709

Oh so my main question is what can I use to max out the circuit, or are there testers that do this?

I'm imagining a device that can put 10, 15, 20 amps of load onto a circuit on demand, instead of me stupidly plugging in more and larger appliances.
>>
>>1143711
Using 1800watts simplifys things
Heaters & hairdriers usually run 1000-1500 watts. Throw in a few 100watt lightbulbs.

>socket fuses
You could test for a draw by unplugging everything, unscrewing the fuse then measuring the voltage across the fuse connectors. There shouldn't be any. If it reads 120VAC, then there's a load connected.

If the fuse connectors are corroded or dirty, they generate heat which would make them blow easier.
>>
>>1143664

6/10 worn breaker.

The more a breaker is tripped the weaker it gets, till eventually it pops for no effing reason at all.

Only way to test current is to measure at the breaker with a ammeter.
>>
>>1143711
Yeah, no.

Just cause an outlet or wire is rated for 15 amps doesn't mean that it likes being pushed to that limit.

If you think your circuit contains several outlets(which, unless it's a dedicated line for a large appliance, it does) why don't you turn it off, check everything to see what doesn't have power, then calculate your draw by what you normally have plugged in.

Doesnt equal 15 amps? You've got a problem, maybe a worn out breaker, maybe you have metal boxes and whenever the outlet moves it arcs and trips. Could be a dozen things, but a load tester isn't going to solve your problems.
>>
>>1143664

It could be a bad breaker. Sometimes these things go out of spec and trip too soon. Or not at all.

>>1143709
>Thanks but I don't have access to all the outlets

Leave breaker off for a few days and see who complains about their shit not working. Probably some secretary who gets chilly and brought a 1000W heater to plug in under her desk.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.