[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog fence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Portable-Dog-Fence-Round.jpg (253KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Portable-Dog-Fence-Round.jpg
253KB, 1000x750px
Hey guys, tl;dr story:
>want dog
>work in home with big yard which remains open to the street on working hours.

So I want a dog, but i dont want it to disturb patients or escape while Im working in other room.
How do I go on building a fence for it? I was planning on buying something like pic related, but maybe you guys have an I dea for a better more cost efficent way to do it?
Tbqh I dont have any expierence building fences and I feel that even smaller or medium dogs could jump the one in pic related.
>>
>>1143595
Think about a tethered run instead of a fence. Much cheaper.
>>
>>1143597
Im not huge on the idea of chaining a dog, even if its only for a few hours
>>
>>1143603
Fences can be escaped from pretty easily. If you chain instead, just hook the chain to a harness instead of a collar so the dog can't choke itself.
>>
>>1143603
How huge are you on doggo becoming roadkill because you lacked the will to CONTROL doggo?

Tethered runs may look unappealing to you, but are you doing this for yourself or the dogs personal welfare. Dogs aren't smart about traffic.
>>
>>1143595
>>1143597
>>1143603
I've always thought a good solution would be a retractable lead hooked from a harness to a zipline. so the doggo has a fair sized wander area 30 feet wide (15 foot retractable tether) by however long the zipline is.
for comfort, make sure that they have both a shaded and sunny area to lie in, and a windbreak if its cold. lots of dog breeds are comfy to below freezing as long as they can curl up out of the wind, and don't overheat until very hot if they have shade and water.

the worst part of chaining is dogs stop trying to move around much because the chain gets caught in stuff/ and/or people only give them a few feet of chain.

and or because people who chain their doggo dont do enough social time with them. but done correctly, imo its the same as crating them or leaving them locked in the house with dog gate etc.
>>
>>1143776
What if you also make it a bungee cord to avoid choking?
>>
>>1143789
Just do
>>1143640
>>
>>1143595
>work at home
>patients

I sense your need for a dog run is a sub plot to a more interesting situation. Care to indulge us?
>>
>>1143595
get a car tyre or an old axle and just chain your little four legged friend up to that in the front yard while you're doing your business.
Although make sure it's heavy enough
>have german shepherd cross bull terrier cross blue cattle
>tie him up on an old axle in front yard because no fence, only a couple of hours a day, stays inside for rest
>few months later
>notice axle has moved but not sure, possibly imagining it
>look out front one day
>no doge
>no axle
>go for a walk to find him
>not hard, just follow axle drag marks on the road
>find dog at beach with a huge trail leading up to him and the axle
>>1143603
Don't listen to this faggot, dogs have to be tied up occasionally, there's a reason dogs watch our faces for guidance all the time. We are their masters. Don't fall into the trap of thinking dogs think like us OP
>>
>>1143595
Senator strategy.
>>
>>1144293
Nah, just a physician
>>
>>1143595
We installed a Petsafe underground electric fence on 2 acres for 2 black labs. They got shocked once, realized the flags meant stay away and never tried again. Buy it at big box hardware stores. You slowly remove the flags and they learn where the boundary is. Plus if they start creeping closer to it, they get a beeping from the collar before they get close enough to get shocked.

People scream about it being cruel, but I disagree. I tried it on myself and it isn't pain, it's more a powerful force causing an overwhelming impulse to move back. Plus, they realise what the flags mean very quickly. Just check the collar batteries every couple weeks and you won't have issues with them escaping.
>>
>>1145845
My guess is that OP isn't a big fan of using negative reinforcement to train an animal. He probably uses child psychology instead. I'm sure the fence bothers him as well, but it's the least immediately restrictive option. City people can be so interesting. Wasting our time is what they do.
>>
https://youtu.be/UzNM6ZEko9A
>>
How big of a dog are we talking about?
Multiple methods may be best. Teather and harness retain dog. Fence keeps ppl or other animals away from dog while on teather. Electric fence at real fence keeps dog away from fence if teather fails.

Side note, really cheap fence, google wattle fence.

Also check local laws. You may need permit for fence, or dog
>>
>>1143776
We did this when I was a kid with my dog. We had a really long clothesline and we just attached the lead to the clothesline. Roughly tripled the area he could access. We used a harness and a lead with the little spring at the end so if he ran after a squirrel or something it wasn't a sudden stop but an elastic one.
>>
>>1145845
These work great for most dogs, but keep in mind it's 'most.'
We had an afghan when I was a kid that would just charge the 'fence' and go through it, once he got like 15 feet last it stopped zapping.
Dunno if they're different now, it's been 15 years.
>>
>>1146343
My buddy had a pitbull that would do this. It would charge past the border to try to jump on us. She would still be getting shocked while she was licking us. Never ran past it for any other reason than a couple of black guys cutting through the field once, not even for rabbits.
>>
>>1145874
The opposite of negative reinforcement is just positive reinforcement, no need to be edgy.
>>
File: zb_wildzaun_01.jpg (50KB, 495x371px) Image search: [Google]
zb_wildzaun_01.jpg
50KB, 495x371px
>>1143595
easiest and cheapest you can build for yourself,
1" steel pipe galv + wildfence + a little bit galv steel wire

I used thread pipe so 3,25mm thickness should hold at least 10+ years outside. Cut it to 2m long pieces ,hit with a big 5kg hammer and later used a great drill hammer to plow it in the ground.
>>
>>1144770
>just a physician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgjlLCZJSg
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.