[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

jacking floor and sistering joists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

Hello me and my lady purchased this house its about 100 years old.the whole place needs work but the most stressful problem is the front room. It has a significant slope
>>
I just want this room to be supported and level so we can lay laminate and get on with the rest of the work
>>
>>
Down in the basement the supports are pretty rigged, and some of the joists are cracked, my thought processes is that i am gonna need to rip out the old subfloors and jack and sister the joists so that the new ones are level and i just wanted some opinions on this
>>
>>
>>
>>
Not sure where i should start this is a funky problem that has just been bandaided over the years, the foundation damage was repaired, thats not going anywhere tge whole thing was repoured around the outside, but inside the basement you can see the old brick foundation looks like shit, but only in the front. The rest looks fine just old
>>
>>1143460
Holy shit!
>>
>>1143467
>>1143470
>>1143472
>>1143475
No wonder it is having problems. How many joists actually cross the entire floor from foundation wall to foundation wall?

Get more floor jacks, some beams to trow on top of them, support everything, start jacking things up slowly until level, install some floor joists that can go all the way across.

Make sure to use bolts and really wide washers on both sides for sistering. I double up the washers so they are extra thick and don't deform easily. Use wood glue between the sistered joists and lots of C-clamps. Make sure the glue is dry before drilling the bolt holes.

>>1143480
Remove, clean replace, use real mortar. Using completely different blocks will be much faster fyi.
>>
please video document all the work you do, op.
id love to watch /diy/'s version of 'this old house'
>>
>>1143485
The floor underneath this room is really weird compared to the rest of the house. I dont think there is 1 straight joist from foundation to foundation under this room. Like the mid span ends at the wall between this roomand the living room, and the living room doesn't slope at all towards the front.
>>
>>1143493
Does the room look to be an addon to you? Not apart of the original floor plan? Baby boomers tended to do that without pulling permits and half assed it..
>>
>>1143490
Haha im no where near the level of this old house

>>1143494
Yeah thats the first thing my gf said
>>
Is the roof above the crooked area sloped/dipped? The exterior photo shows what look to me as painted windows.
Good luck with the project, support the best you can and start ripping out all the crap.
Is one support wrapped with duct tape? I've seen some cobbled crap but that's outstanding.
>>
>>1143496
Yep duck tape, the roof looks alright on that side and i have no ideaa what the thought process was with painting up the 4 old windows and walling it up inside, and as far as i can tell the plastic on the side was to protect the siding from the rain where the gutter is broken.....
>>
>>1143498
hum, kinda looks like another annon eluded to as being an added on "sun porch" with a built in slope using a crooked level. I'd almost expect more damage if it was a sever foundation problem.
PS former owner of a crooked room house - drove me nutz and then we sold the POS
>>
>>1143467

Tear it down and start over.
>>
Call in an engineer.
>>
>>1143460

Just pour some sand down, level it out, then put wood on top of it or something.
>>
>>1143472
wtf

someone didn't understand the purpose of floor joists
>>
Dont drink the water lol
>>
>>1143576
Yep tear it down , seriously
>>
I've remodeled houses for 35 years....
Gut the interior and all inside walls except load bearing walls, Tear up decking and re install proper floor joists per code. Myself I would demolish and start over
>>
That looks pretty well fucked. To be honest, I'm thinking it might be a loss and easier to just tear down. Looks like you have wood directly in contact with the dirt/leaves on the outside; did you have it inspected for termite damage?

Joists don't have to run all the way from end to end of the foundation if you have a beam in the middle that is properly supported. Make sure to give them a good overhang though. If there are load bearing walls in the middle of the house make sure they are covered by joists from both sides.

If it can be salvaged, as others have suggested just get a shit ton of floor jacks and SLOWLY move things upward until it's where you want it. Anything that was installed when it was out of square will break; you may want to rip out drywall first. Once you've got it in line install the sister joists (remove ones that are destroyed) and as suggested bolt them together and put construction adhesive in the middle. Make sure to crown the new joists; that is put the curved side facing up and not down.

Good luck OP. I've seen this done before but damn.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.