[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patching power into USB-C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: 81TADDnuUgL._SL1500_.jpg (195KB, 1212x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81TADDnuUgL._SL1500_.jpg
195KB, 1212x1500px
Hey there /diy/
I'm trying to patch power into a USB-C cable being used for DisplayPort alternate mode. I was planning on getting two of these

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10013707/2412400-u3-206-smt-type-usb-3-1-type-c-female-socket

running one of these cables to it

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Chromebook-Thunderbolt-3840x2160/dp/B01EXKDRAC

and then soldering a typical USB's power rails to the second female jack for power.
Is there anything wrong with this plan? Any easier way to do this?
I'm trying to run a USB-C monitor without the proper cables (due to the fact that I fucked up when purchasing it but w/e).
>>
>>1143256
Can you explain more clearly what you want to do, or draw a picture? Wouldn't you need a male and female usb-c plug to make a pass through? What are you actually using the second female connector for?
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 955x438px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 955x438px
>>1143431
With the DisplayPort to USB-C plugged into one end and a regular doublemale USB-C plugged into the other side going to the monitor
>>
el bumpo
>>
>>1143626
Seems ok, just as long as you keep the jumper wires as short as possible. You're basically inserting a source of noise in to a high speed data line. If your jumper wires are too long then the noise will be enough to disrupt the video signal. If you keep it small, short, and clean then you can probably do it.
>>
>>1144159
Thanks!
I just wanted to confirm, because the folks over at /g/ were saying that the idea was "fucking stupid" so I just wanted to verify before I fried something important.
>>
>>1144161
You won't fry anything. The worst case is that the data is glitchie because video data is high bandwidth. Just keep everything nice and clean and report back with results.
>>
>>1144179
Parts shipping from the land of the rising sun now. Only like two companies make USB-C breakouts that aren't itty bitty SMT affairs

Almost forgot to ask- I can't seem to find it online because I am apparently super retardo, but USB-C and 3.0 have the same/similar power ratings, right?
>>
>>1144393
All the parts should get here tomorrow unless something fucks up. Will report back with results.
>>
>>1144393
USB-C is just the connector for the version bumped 3.0. Double check yourself, but it is.
>>
>>1144784
Update?
>>
As far as I am aware, all USB-C connectors are rated for the maximum allowable charging power, which is something like 80-100W according to the USB 3.1 Power Delivery spec.
This means that as long as the cable itself is rated for 80-100W, you should be able to carry the power across just fine by using one of those things.
>>
>>1146867
>>1145345
Parts got delayed, arriving later today.
No matter what it won't look pretty due to how I'm doing it (just using header pins to connect the two together so the two females will be on the same side), but I want maximum chance of it actually functioning.
>>
File: 20170319_185520.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_185520.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Well sheeit. The display powers on but it doesn't detect and doesn't get signal.

I get the feeling that it might be the DP cable, since I got a confirmation from google that theirs would work but I ended up buying a cheaper one since I figured they'd all be the same.

If I reverse one of the sides even without the power/ground bridged at all, the monitor no longer powers on, which seems strange to me. My first config had this problem too, which afaik shouldn't happen because it's supposed to be reversible.

Worth noting that the shitty patchjob shield connection was added after things already weren't working in a last ditch effort.
>>
>>1147693
Your red wire looks like a cold solder joint and your yellow wire isn't even soldered. I would recommend going back over all of your solder connections, this time with flux.
>>
File: 20170320_013430.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170320_013430.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1147721
Red joint was super cold but that was the power, which was working. I'm workin with what I've got here, which ain't a whole lot. I only have a soldering iron, solder, and wire. I reflowed all the joints so none of them are too gnarly anymore. I also soldered in both ends of the shield wire.

Still no dice. The power joints look bad because they're coming off of slightly melty jumpers.
>>
File: 20170320_013257.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170320_013257.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>1147807
holy shit just go watch the pace solder videos and see how yours are so shit

literally just tier
>>
>>1147809
>no tools
>no wire snippers
>the header pins are way too long
no shit my joints ain't gonna be perfect, I have none of the tools I need for that.
That being said, I have no overflowed or cold joints. It isn't pretty but the joints are actually all solid.
I know how to solder. The fact that the headers are so fucking big and the fact that I don't have my desoldering tool are why the back pins look so jacked up.
>>
>>1147812
Try cutting the cable and see if it works maybe you can start blaming it
>>
>>1147813
I ain't blamin shit, I'm just explaining why it aesthetically doesn't look prime. The joints are all solid and aren't overflowing.
>>
>>1147814
You explaining? You should explain to the cable why you fucked it up
>>
>>1147815
I don't really get what you're getting at, anon.
>>
>>1147816
Not sure what is the point of this thread if you will not acknowledge a so-fucking-obvious problem
>>
>>1147817
What is the problem anon
you have not mentioned a problem other than the fact that the joints look nasty even though they are solid.
It doesn't matter if they look bad if none of them are cold or shorting.
>>
>>1147819
There is no problem if it is working. Is it working?
>>
>>1147821
No, but I'm pretty sure that that's because I got a usb-c to displayport cable instead of a displayport to usb-c cable becase there apparently is a meaningful difference that I wasn't aware of.
>>
>>1147824
What is the difference that you are not aware of?
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 855x166px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 855x166px
>>1147826
No idea. I'd imagine diode(s) that only allow signal to flow one way or some shit.

Google claims that theirs is bi directional so I'm ordering one of those now.
>>
>>1144159
you don't know anything about what you are talking about, do you?
>>
File: 1485131657716.png (62KB, 435x572px) Image search: [Google]
1485131657716.png
62KB, 435x572px
>>1147827
>diode(s) that only allow signal to flow one way
no.
>>
>>1148074
>>1148069
Well seeing as it should literally only be a pass through according to usb spec, what else would prevent the cable from being two way?

All that displayport alternate mode is supposed to be, according to the spec, is a straight up passthrough with no frills. Seeing as no actual conversion is happening and there's no logic board in the cable, what fucking else would be preventing the signal from working both ways? Remember, this is NOT a two way data transfer. The high speed rails only need to be one way for the cable to funcion.
>>
>>1148101
the host has to tell the device that it can draw power and how much
the device isn't going to draw power unless it is told it can
the host does not know you nigger rigged an alternative supply
do you see the problem?

high speed data lines such as USB have differential pairs, the current is AC, your diode logic is downright stupid
>>
>>1148213
>the host does not know you nigger rigged an alternative supply
My "nigger rigged" power supply is working. As I said, the display powers on.
As I said in this post,
>>1147827
the reason that the display is getting no signal is because the company ignored USB-C spec when building their shitty overpriced cable.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.