[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ant hill castings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Takei Oh Yeah.jpg (30KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
Takei Oh Yeah.jpg
30KB, 441x408px
Ok /diy/. I've gone and melted close to 400 pounds of aluminum into muffin shaped ingots, and now I want to do something. Namely, ant mound castings.

Problem is, I'm in an area where ants are virtually non-existent. Mounds like you see in the deep south? No way in hell.

That said, would it be feasible to grow an ant colony (like you would an ant farm) in a bucket and just cast that? Any idea on if this is feasible?
>>
Would you ever have a reason to travel south? It would make a neat souvenir. It would be really interesting to raise the ant colony in a form to achieve a colony roughly the shape of the form. Also I believe they only cast abandoned colonies to avoid dead ants stuck to the thing everwhere
>>
>>1143177

They'll use the wall of the bucket as part of their corridors, so you'd have to have some layer lining the buckets the ants couldn't penetrate but which you could knock off later. Plaster of Paris?

If it leaks you don't really want it to just go through the plastic either. So maybe a galvanized steel tub, plaster of paris on the walls?
>>
File: 20170301_172122.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_172122.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>1143177
As someone doing the same exact thing, where did you get all of your aluminum? I'm having trouble finding scrap to melt and would appreciate any tips.
>>
>>1143653
Would the ants not at least melt? I mean, you are pouring molten metal onto them.
>>
Op here
>>1143653
No real reason to go south, plus I wouldn't be able to bring my gear. My forge is a pretty good size (internal diameter is 10" and I use a #16 crucible, able to melt 15 pounds at a time or so.) I wish though. Got an old friend who moved to Alabama who works forestry, and seeing some of the mounds he deals with...

>>1143659
I was planning on using something like a steel barrel or garbage can so it would resist the heat (not because of the ants themselves, but that's a damn good point I didn't even consider.)

>>1143744
Cans, kitchen foil, and getting others to collect for you works too. I pay folks who bring me cans $0.35 a pound, which is the going rate at local scrap yards. Saves them from having to drive 30 miles to haul it in themselves. I will note that 400 pounds is accumulation over 16-18 months, so it still takes a while.
>>
>>1143759
You right. I just know I've only ever seen it done to abandoned colonies. The ants, if anything is left of them should clean off with everything else. Perhaps ants could clog up the tunnels and ruin the casting.
>>
>In my ant house with my colony bros
>Everything is fine
>Everything is good
>Suddenly a wall of burning molten metal
>I die to become some super chimp's modern art masterpiece
You sick fuck OP
>>
File: 2016-07-09 16.41.19.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-09 16.41.19.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>1143744
i get mine from the unhealthy amounts of soda i drink as well as aluminum foil and heatsinks from broken electronics i scrap on occasions. it takes about 2 months or so to fill up a kitchen trash bag with aluminum and usually yields roundabout 10 lbs of slugs.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.