[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make windows more soundproof?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: street.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
street.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
From now to september we have a detour through our street, it's loud as fuck, trucks, bikes, everything.

I want to seal the windows some more so the sound is more acceptable.

Is there a cheap way to make them soundproof? I thought of building a frame with insulation and putting it into in front of the window.

It sucks because no more light, so is there any other way? maybe sealing off any air that comes through from the sides with some foam or something?
>>
>>1143100

Get a quote on some acoustic glass. It's double glass, but one of the panes is actually two laminated together with a clear rubber in between.

If it's too fucking expensive (probably) you could try laminating two pieces of glass together with a layer of clear rubber in between, then put that behind your old window. It's the DIY spirit. If you do that, do throw some gel packets in between the old window and your new one for condensation.

Glass is pretty cheap and clear rubber resin doesn't seem all that expensive :

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/fc-6630.html
>>
>>1143113
Solid advise here. Hobby lobby sells clear vinyl. Coukd try staoling like 5 layers of that shit up. It woukd be pretty thick then. After a few years it will turn yellow and look like shit. But if it works its cheao enough i'd just make it an every 3 year project or something.
>>
>>1143100
have you considered vacuum ? it is very sound proof
>>
>>1143100
complain to the city traffic department, see if they can put up some kind of temporary barrier
>>
>>1143100
I don't know what type of windows you have, but where I live a window pane has a seal all around it. When you want any air to come through (for ventilation) then you put the handle in 45 degree position and it cracks only a few mm to let air through. So if air comes through your window then definitely put a seal there, there's a huge difference in sound.
>>
>>1143100
Actually op u might try some souble pain windows from lowes. You can get those shit andersons for like 100 bicks a hole.
>>
> souble pain

yeah, right, my GF spent $4000 on new double panes, and it accomplished nothing. a diff company told her she'd have to go to triple pane, filled with some noble gas, to get a proper bit of reduction. that would be like $6000. and they would test the sound levels before and after. but, having been screwed once, she sold and moved instead.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.