[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shed - not the cuck kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: shed.png (21KB, 1343x756px) Image search: [Google]
shed.png
21KB, 1343x756px
TL:DR the question: Can I span about 10.6 feet half lapped on top of 4x4" with 2x8" ?? and support the roof of a shed?

so I live with my parents, I'm in the process of getting my CDL and I wanna long haul, they are fine with me living with them because I wont be around and they know I'll be making money, saving up for my own place, instead of wasting money on renting some place that I wont even be there for 1/3rd the time I'm renting it for.

anyway I need a place to move my tools and motorcycle into. so I'm in the process of building a shed, but because of local rules and code, anything besides a tent needs to be fucking permitted and built like a fuckin house practically. but its cause "Florida" and hurricanes and shit, they don't want your cuck shed flying into someone else house.

so can I span this distance?
>>
File: span.jpg (143KB, 998x947px) Image search: [Google]
span.jpg
143KB, 998x947px
probably
>>
>>1142830
Like you said. It depends on your city and zoning inspector and whether or not they will allow it. As a framer I would see no problem with this. You would want 2x10 if it were any longer, or in an area that gets snow.
>>
>>1142965
Yeah I looked in the library for some sort of code book even an old one.. And couldn't find any. My only other issue is whether or not the 4x4 can be used. Or a 6x6 needs to be used. And I kinda need to know. Because when I pour the concrete slab I need to place a threaded rod with a nut and washer into the correct place. (like I said.. Hurricane proofing the thing e everything needs to be bomb proof.)
>>
>>1143009
your city or township, wherever you get youre building a shed permit from should be able point you towards a code book or the local building ordnance.
>>
Do you.have plans made up? If so you could send them to the city for a preliminary inspection. Or get in touch with an inspector and just ask them about your couple variables. It seems as though as long as you are properly anchored and clipped all should be well.. I am in western canada so I have no idea about Florida's structural guidelines
>>
>>1143141
The pic related is my plans.. They are all on sketchup? Is that a valid set of plans or do I need something else?
>>
>>1143009
Check the library at your local trade school or at a university with civil engineering. They'll have stuff that public libraries won't.
>>
>>1142830
I wouldn't use 4x4s, it's getting really hard to find them that haven't been twisted to hell.

Why not just use 2 2x4s, and then cut one shorter to allow the 2x8 to sit on top? No special joinery needed, hell of a lot less likely to twist.
>>
>>1142830
>Can I span about 10.6 feet half lapped on top of 4x4" with 2x8" ?? and support the roof of a shed?

Will it have a roof?
Google 'roof truss' and select [images]
(you can make trusses at home)
2x4 truss is more than adequate for your shed
>>
>>1143772
Looks ghetto as fuck. And the 4x4s I picked through in home depot looks fine to me.. An I always pick the best timbers.. If they don't have them 1 week ill go back another until I get what I want.

>>1143782
Yes it will have a roof. But because the way the yard is graded (retardedly) I'm limited to a single pitch so it drains mainly one direction.. And I'd like to add gutters on the onside an run a drain pipe underground to the front of the house at the street. But shit that's getting too fancy and expensive..
>>
>>1143957
>And the 4x4s I picked through in home depot looks fine to me.. An I always pick the best timbers.. If they don't have them 1 week ill go back another until I get what I want.

You are wise. I do that too without problems. Also check with local building suppliers AFTER noting Home Despot prices so you get the best deal.
>>
>>1142830
im pretty sure that span will require a 2x10 laminated header with jack studs. i would ask the building safety dept. they are the ones that will be doing the final inspection, just do what they say to avoid problems
>>
>>1143152
Not the anon you replied to, but I'd go bigger, at least 2x10 like the other anon said. You'll never get in trouble from over building, OP. I'd definitely call the permit office and make an appointment with the building inspector at the very least. They will gladly tell you what they expect to see, and they'd rather stop problems before they start than make multiple inspections because you just went ahead without asking first. Just an aside, your plan that you did in SketchUp, a 2x8 will not measure 2x8. Not trying to sound like an ass here, just saying in case you didn't know.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.