[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>makerspaces

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 137593505136.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
>makerspaces
>>
>>1142780
There is nothing wrong with makerspaces. Wish I had one where I live. If I want to do woodwork I have to invest in thousands of dollars worth of precision tooling that I'll never wear down in the couple of years that I'll be an unemployed student, after which point I'll start investing. A makerspace would let me use these tools for an affordable fee and let me learn and be inspired from other like-minded people.

Unless you're commenting that of the one or few makerspaces you've visited they're either a hotbed for unprofessional practices or unclean workspaces.

Either way nice b8.
>>
>>1142780
>literally £millions worth of equipment
>along with people who know how to use it all and will gladly teach you
>membership is cheap and can be waived if you're in a tight spot
>best way to find people who are interested in whatever you're working on

Your problem with makerspaces is...?
>>
If you live in any reasonably large urban centre things like makerspaces and men's sheds and co-ops are really the most sane way to go about it.

Space is expensive for individuals.
>>
>>1142915
Ive considered buying or building essentially an interconnected storage facility with a shop in the middle. This way people with access keys can go in 24/7 like a gym and people coild go in with a few buddies on individual locked storage units ro house their shit.so long as it funds itself somehiw i wouldnt mind babysitting it.
>>
>be me
>go to local "hackerspace"
> bunch of autists in an almost lord or the flies enviroment
> so much shit everywhere it's impossible to work on anything
> ask lead autist if we can start throwing shit away so we can actually work
> just starts rammbling incoherntly and sperging out
> build what I need and leave

they do have a bad ass laser cutter and cnc machine tho
>>
>>1144072
Do they actually know how to use the CNC?

>>1142908
Most makerspaces probably wouldn't even cross the $50k worth of equipment. Hobby-grade tools really aren't that expensive. That said it's still a lot of stuff and more importantly they (should) have space to make use of the equipment appropriately.
>>
Yeah i hate those things. A while back i was looking in to whether or not my city had a public woodshop thing with a planer, jointer, lathe etc. What i found was one of these makerspace things. They had dumb entry requirements. You had to go to some meet and greet thing, make friends, get someone to sponsor your membership etc. I would have given them a $500 damage deposit in case i fucked anything up while working but i was not going to participate in their hippy commune rights of passage for the privilege.
>>
>>1144112
>'oh hey we have no problem letting you use our fully stocked workshop we'd just like to meet you and get to know you'
>you: 'autistic screeching'
>>
>>1144118
They wanted more personal information and more commitment than my landlord ffs.
>>
>>1144122

You do realise not all makerspaces are like that right?
Because you imply you know them all by saying you hate those things. While your anecdote describes only one.
>>
>>1144112
Are you in NJ?
>>
>>1144112
Florida?
>>
There's only one in my city and that's run by the university's architecture department, but it only lets you actually use the stuff if you're an architecture student. I don't know why they even have it, it's in the city centre rather than on campus and the university already has shit like laser cutters and 3D printers. They occasionally run one day seminars where you can 'learn how to use a laser cutter/3D printer' (actually just 'you can press the print button on a file they already have set up to run).
>>
>>1142780
Yeah libraries too. Anybody who checks out a library book instead of buying it isn't actually a reader.
>>
>>1142780
>DIY
>with other people
I never understood it either, OP. If you don't have tools, buy them or improvise.
>>
>>1144118
Hahahaha
>>
>>1144287
So you buy a car everytime you go on vacation?
>>
>>1144494

Learn to sarcasm.
>>
File: 1474394559287.png (12KB, 246x200px) Image search: [Google]
1474394559287.png
12KB, 246x200px
The one at my fucking school doesn't even have welding equipment fuck
>>
>>1144072
you for got to describe the smell and the stains on shirts

they always have a laser, thats how they get you
>>
>>1144072
why does a hackerspace need a lasercutter and cnc machine?
>>
>>1144921
my hacker space consists of an internet connection
>>
>>1142780
Since the days of greek bath houses homosexuals have needed a place to congregate and consummate. Times may change but the needs of the people don't.
>>
Whatever man the makers pace is great for bullshitting with other creative people. Nothing ever gets done except lockpicking as far as I can tell but that's cool too.

Where it's at in my city is the men's sheds and boat building collectives. Fucking awesome
>>
Are these the same as communal living for scholars? Where they don't have to worry about cooking and regular household chores?
>>
>>1146786
Nah just places diyers meet up in the evening. Though the one near me gives everyone a key once they've been a member for a year or something. Membership is something like a hundred euros a year.

Mostly computer needs doing stuff with arduinos and lock picking but some have lathes and stuff people in city apartments can't have.
>>
>>1144112
Antarctica?
>>
File: BvTaDZ6.jpg (97KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
BvTaDZ6.jpg
97KB, 900x675px
>server room at the local makerspace
>>
>>1147524
Your makerspace is at Hillary Clinton's house???
>>
>>1144921
To make things? I sell shit on Etsy that's literally just a sheet of wood thrown in with a design cut from it. Easy money out the ass.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.