[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3-D Printed House

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: 3d printed house.jpg (199KB, 1280x567px) Image search: [Google]
3d printed house.jpg
199KB, 1280x567px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktwDfasPGQ
>>
File: RjMWYwMWMwZg.png (359KB, 507x448px) Image search: [Google]
RjMWYwMWMwZg.png
359KB, 507x448px
It'll be interesting to see how it holds up in 10-20 years. And I have to wonder if it would actually offer any benefits over premade foam molds.

Also lol at the back of the fridge right up against a window.
>>
There are a bunch of ways to drive down the costs of housing and I think that this is definitely in the step in the right direction. Automating the construction of housing is going to be a boon.

I think utilizing materials on the property is the way to go as well when it comes to what the house is made out of. People in South America, for example, buy brick making machines and they mix rocks with the clay that is already in the ground they stand on to create the bricks for their own house.

I don't want to say that people should be entitled to owning a home, but I think having your own home is the most important thing to have in life.
>>
>>1142378
How do they get the robot out of the house once it's built? Alternatively if the robot doesn't put the roof on itself (which it probably can't), do they have prefab roofs or another robot or do they have to get real people in to do those?
>>
IMO 3d printing is only good for making one thing in one material in one process, building a house involves different material and different processes mixed together and 3d printing as it is only makes things more complicated because you now have to do everything around this one thing.

And houses in general are not very complex shapes, usually they are in straight lines and are literally boxes, 3d printing a box makes little sense even at small scale.
>>
File: buildblock-ifc-wall-large[1].jpg (114KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
buildblock-ifc-wall-large[1].jpg
114KB, 1200x800px
>>1142387
those foam molds come in big blocks too. stack them like you would with lego. This technology is way more mature. Your building comes with insulation and an easy way to install electrics and plumbing, because you can cut out the foam to lay the wiring in.

Big problem is 3d printing will always be layer adhesion.
>>
>>1142421
Stop making walls out of drywall.
>>
>>1142409
People built the roof and took apart the robot.
>>
>>1142378

With that much manpower you could use prefab blocks or ICF to build a single story hut in a day as well.
>>
>>1142378
Holy fuck now you cant ecen get a job in construction...
>>
>>1142387
Said it was cement. Probably last generations
>>
>>1142396
Kek.

Literally building a compressed dirt block machine from an used log splitter.

Pretty excited about it honestly.

Will either have a kickass free shack or die in my own made grave.

Someone will have a nice beer can and paper log bailer at least.
>>
>>1142601

Not sure an automated press makes much sense, unless you turn it in some huge machine which can make a dozen blocks at a time.

People make soil/cement bricks with a hand press and the actual pressing doesn't take most of the time.
>>
it would seem to me. that it would be better to make houses at a factory. then ship the pieces to the site.

>steel frame
>floors, walls, roof, ceilings all finished in pieces at the factory
>pour a reinforced concrete foundation. can have basements, crawlspaces, or slab. just need to make sure you have the connection points required.
>bolt all the pre fabbed pieces to the waiting foundation.
>connecting electrical, vent, and plumbing as you go. like they do in modern large ship building.
>>
>>1142741
>it would seem to me. that it would be better to make houses at a factory. then ship the pieces to the site.

That's already an option (they pointed this out in the video, even).

It's more expensive and far less customizable. I'd be willing to bet less durable, too.
>>
This guy is working on a House Printer that also has a mechanical arm that lays down electrical and plumbing as it goes.
>>
>>1142378

Wow imagine in the future skyscrapers etc literally being printed from the ground up from nanotubes etc completely automated

that's pretty mind blowing to thing about
>>
>>1142752
more like imagine being a blue collar building cuck that's soon to be out of work lel
>>
>>1142753
Wont happen. Keep practicing your automation memes. Our population only grows. There for it will always be cheaper to use manual labor over automation. Especially in building an assembly.
>>
I anyone else gonna point out that the total square footage of that "house" is less than a standard two car garage? Where I live it wouldn't even qualify as a house since it doesn't have a bedroom. It's a glorified pool house or mother-in-law unit. No heating/cooling was quoted in the total price either, from what I can tell. In some placed that can be $2-3k alone.
>>
>>1142752
t. guy who has no fucking clue how the structural aspect of skyscrapers works.
>>
>>1142762
t. guy who thinks 3d printers won't be able to build in phases
>>
>>1142757

Need to lower minimum wage then ...
>>
>>1142757
developed countries all have below replacement birthrates. developing countries are approaching below replacement nation wide.
>>
File: carpentry-classes[1].jpg (90KB, 935x572px) Image search: [Google]
carpentry-classes[1].jpg
90KB, 935x572px
>>1142771
You earn minimum wage for flipping burgers. You don't earn minimum wage for framing a house.

It's probably going to be going that way in the next 20 years, though. Putting a house together is becoming so simple that it won't even be considered a semi-skilled job soon. They will probably come out with some cheap framing material made out of high-end carbon fiber or aluminum or whatever. It will have standard sizes and shapes with all the knockouts needed to run the water, power, and data lines ready to go. Some tard will probably snap the whole house together like fucking Lego and then use some special glue or chemical or whatever to make it permanent. Pop out the knockouts with a hammer and you're ready to start finishing.

My plumbing friends raved when PEX came out because it was so easy to install. Once they dumb that shit down a little more you won't even need plumbers to install it. They will be out of work. Electrical is probably gonna go the same way. They will probably put an extra wire or two in a Romex line and use it for data. Everything will be "Smart". All the lights and switches and shit will be hot 100% of the time. Turning a switch "off" just means it sends the smart light that it is synced with a command to turn off. Outlets will just have a port on it that you stuff a loop of the Romex into and it will use vampire connections or some shit to interface with all the wires. No cutting and stripping required. It will be smart enough to know which wire is hot, ground, data, etc and just work. Then all the electricians will be out of a job.

Back in the day doors were nonstandard sizes and were often made on-site. Now they are standard. Fuck, you buy them prehung. Sooner or later all the fixtures of a house will be like that. You will get your entire kitchen delivered. It will be made by robots in a lights-out factory and it will pop together like something from Ikea on-site. Then all the cabinet makers will be out of a job.

Who will be left?
>>
File: modularfactory1.jpg (167KB, 990x566px) Image search: [Google]
modularfactory1.jpg
167KB, 990x566px
>>1142748
>
> > it would seem to me. that it would be better to make houses at a factory. then ship the pieces to the site.
>
> It's more expensive and far less customizable. I'd be willing to bet less durable, too.

My buddy has a factory-built / manufactured home and I’d say it’s more durable then a hand-built house, as all the tolerances can be held closer.

And while I don’t know what he paid for it, I would think factory-built homes would be cheeper, as it’s quicker and easier to build framing sections in a shop then in the field and those tighter tolerances also mean less waste and a quicker build time.

As for customizing, even that should be cheeper and easier, as you can make all your personal modifications with a CAD program before knocking anything together.
>>
File: awkward-family-photos-14.jpg (69KB, 570x712px) Image search: [Google]
awkward-family-photos-14.jpg
69KB, 570x712px
Here's an question:

What do you think the value of these houses will be?

I've heard alot about how it's incredibly difficult to sell a pre-fab house and make back what you spent on it, and I'm not sure why. Personally, I would think that a house that was constructed in a controlled environment where it can't rain/snow on it in the middle of building would be ideal, and it'd be a lot easier to inspect small parts to make sure they were OK/correct issues before the final assembly.

But for some reason, pre-made stick-built houses hold a higher resale value. With these houses being somewhat limited in size and using a new construction technology, I wonder how well they'd actually sell/re-sell.
>>
>>1142846
I've lived in one that was only a few years old at the time (about 7 years ago, so maybe 10 total). They aren't that nice. They are made pretty cheaply and it kind of shows. Half the time people don't even put them on real foundations. They are right between mobile homes and real houses in terms of quality. So, they have a resale value similar to mobile homes. It's not about their durability either, which I have no clue what it actually is. It's that everything in them is cheap. Cheap carpets, cheap walls, cheap fixtures, cheap cabinets, etc. You don't buy something that is half the cost of a real house of the same size and expect to get the same quality. It is also pretty fucking obvious that a home is a premade type just by looking at it.
>>
>>1142852
The house I own now had an extension built onto it in a standard-construction manner, and the same thing could be said of it. Cheap everything, nail pops and leaks that needed to be fixed, etc.

Honestly, it seems like quality itself seems to be non-existent, no matter what the construction method.
>>
>>1142792

> You will get your entire kitchen delivered. It will be made by robots in a lights-out factory and it will pop together like something from Ikea on-site.

System kitchens are already the vast majority over here (Netherlands, but Germany led the way).
>>
>>1142853

>Honestly, it seems like quality itself seems to be non-existent, no matter what the construction method.

Fucking this. Never been to a site yet where everyone knows what they are doing from a to z, something is always fucked and band aided over or just fucked off if the inspector isn't checking it.
>>
>>1142791
lol take a look at africa buddy

And the middle east

your children will pray towards mecca
>>
>>1142792
Having 200V+ line right next to a data line sounds like a recipe for interference.
>>
>>1142877

> Having 200V+ line right next to a data line sounds like a recipe for interference.

Twisted pair won't give a shit. That said, I'd sooner expect to just have power lines only. With all the home automation being done through ISO 14908 power line communication.

Plug a light switch into the power with two thin wires (thin because it's not switching, no need for ground either, just attach it to the power lines with capacitors so mains power doesn't even reach the switch). Press a pairing button on the switch and a power socket, done.
>>
>>1142763
>relying on some largely undeveloped technology
>>
>>1142378
>no rebar
that's about as large as that house could be without collapsing on itself
>>
>>1143253

Steel fibre reinforcement can pretty much replace rebar altogether, although I don't think that thing could pump it.
>>
>>1143253
Fiber reinforced concrete is making gains. But I imagine it can't pump out like shot Crete well
>>
>>1143273
Replace Steel with titanium fibres, now you have reinforced non-oxydizing fibre concrete, it will outlast you and possible any modern day bunker. Unless lots of mercury and such falls from the sky/river.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (716KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
716KB, 500x386px
>>1143279
>Replace Steel with titanium fibres
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.