[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make a RC Plane

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1488738374712.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488738374712.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
I'm new in this thing and I want to know how to make a RC plane. My niece is quite into airplanes, and I want to make her one, that flies and shit, obviously. Could you help?
>>
>>1141600

Go to an RC hobby store...pick out plane kit, and other goodies necessary, build kit...fly...
>>
>>1141600
This is not /spoonfeed/ so fuck off. We don't tolerate this kind of threads, there is nothing to discuss.
>>
>>1141600
DON'T MAKE YOUR FIRST PLANE. Pick up a ready to fly (includes transmitter) or bind & fly (requires separate transmitter).
>>
File: lc01-01.jpg (56KB, 450x386px) Image search: [Google]
lc01-01.jpg
56KB, 450x386px
I like to start with a balsa framed plane, usually from Guillows, and turn it into an rc from there. Its way more fun and technical to make
>>
You can make a foamboard frame for a couple dollars. Nice thing about that is you can fly and crash it without worry, since it won't take much money/time to replace anything.

In terms of electronics, a general list:
TX/RX
Motor
ESC
Servos
Battery
>>
I'd suggest adding an 'ardupilot' or similar flight controller.

It adds complexity/price - but it will auto stabilize and smooth out poor inputs. Plus you can put it a holding pattern for when you get interrupted.

As for the actual place, something like a foam 'bixler' is a good starting platform. It's cheap, the prop is in the back, and a large userbase.
>>
>>1141600
Make a J7W1 Shinden please, also pusher propellors are harder to destroy in a crash landing.
>>
>>1141701
Great suggestion for someone who has never touched one before numbnuts.

>>1141696
Very this OP, but first, play with RC aircraft simulators on your PC. Get used to flying "backwards" (inverting control inputs when the aircraft is flying towards you), basic things like turning and level flight close to ground. If you can get a USB flight controller, all the better to develop your "fine thumb skills" (reads, not jamming the sticks from end stop to end stop in a panic, guaranteeing a crash). Learn how trim effects flight, and how twitchy these aircraft can be.

Then, get a styrofoam RTF Cessna from ebay for $50, and feel less pain when you inevitably crash it. Once you feel you can get a few circuits in without killing everyone, buy yourself a balsa kit, and build it up with your niece. It's been a long time since I have flown but piper cub models were always renowned for their stable and slow flight characteristics (much like their real world brethren) and were the recommended choice for new flyers. Be ready to explain to her the importance of the wing chord, what each control surface does, things like prop torque and how to combat it, all the things she may ask as you build.

Godspeed.
>>
File: 1487946116269.jpg (179KB, 617x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487946116269.jpg
179KB, 617x600px
>>1141603
Speak for yourself fucklord.
>>
>>1142053
Oh, we have another bingo card and it's even more worthless than the earlier one. That's quite an achievement.
But hey, at least you can win with this.
>>
>>1142045
>ardupilot
Not OP, but it sounds like it requires an arduino. It may be a bit complex to configure for a neophyte. Arduinos and Raspberries aren't exactly user-friendly for inexperimented folks.
>>
>>1141600
Look up "flite test", i think they have what you need.
>>
>>1142053
Oh look, it's the special snowflake cancer feeder that posts his shit edit bingo card in these cucked threads. Fuck off already.
>>
File: flite test logo.jpg (24KB, 406x190px) Image search: [Google]
flite test logo.jpg
24KB, 406x190px
>>1142128
flite test or RC Groups are good starting points, flite test has some beginner specific videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiNZni-QuE

RC groups has more content, but you'll need to know where to look (google "rc groups" then the topic to search, you need to create an account to search on the site itself). I can tell you from my own experience, don't try and design your first plane. You can build one from a kit, like the Tiny Trainer, but definitely start with something that someone else has flown. The Tiny Trainer was my first successful plane, if I had started with that instead of trying to make my own from scratch, I would've had a much better time at the beginning.

Once you can fly, then you'll be much better off when you start designing and building your own planes. Check out Experimental Airlines designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xk9ecvgkU0

>>1142100
it's an arduino based flight controller. it's not necessary for simple planes, yes it adds stabilization, but you're better off learning to fly without it first. Most of the trainer planes will be inherently stable and easy to fly.
>>
>>1143681
It's not that hard to make a decent first plane if you know what you're doing
>>
ay niggers, can i put my video transmitter right next to a pile of other electronics and just use a rp-sma extension to get the antenna away? would this create RF interfearance anyway?
>>
>>1144187
How do you know what you're doing if you've never done it before?
>>
>>1144692
courses about fluid mechanics/airplanes senpai
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.