[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

insectary safe coating?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Hermetiaillucens.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hermetiaillucens.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
I'm raising soldier flies and redworms. I want to build a wooden box to house them. i assume pretty much all wood will rot in the nutrient rich substrate they live in so i'd like to coat the interior with some sort of sealant. polyurethane perhaps? trouble is most of these products exude poison while they're curing and they can leach stuff that the bugs might be sensitive to into the substrate.

what coating will prevent rot and not kill bugs?
>>
>>1141542
in the 21 century these are almost exclusively done in plastic or glass boxes
>>
>>1141545
lots of people make wooden boxes for them out of plywood or OSB. this for example. but something tells me soaking it in nitrate rich waste reduces the service life significantly.

I'd like to keep it outside and it frosts here sometimes which is why i'd be building it out of wood, so I can have a two layer box and fill it with spray foam for insulation. wood is much cheaper than glass and has superior insulation properties $/area
>>
>>1141542
Fiberglass resin probably. Don't even need fiber glass fibers. An old bedsheet will work good to. Just the resin.an fiber glass resin. NOT epoxy.
>>
>>1141542

How did you get soldier flies?
>>
>>1141542
Why not just lay down a tarp or some contractor bags, stapled onto the inside wood? Cheap, durable, replaceable, and if something goes wrong, makes cleaning the whole thing out a lot easier too.
>>1141573
You can order eggs online without too much trouble
>>
>>1141564
The fuck? I'd never use vinyl ester or polyester resin for living things. Epoxy is fine, you can make water tanks and stuff with it. They even make food grade epoxy specifically for this kind of purpose.
>>
IPE wood if you can find it the shit is indestructible
>>
>>1141573
Ebay. I feel kind of sick atm. just ate cocopops after turning it and the goddamn cereal looks like BSF.

>>1141601
yeah, well, resin, epoxy, ester, these are all replaced by the term "epoxy" or "coating system" in the painting world. the name doesnt mean anything other than goop in a tin that you roll/spray onto a substrate. they can have largely different composition. you just need to go on the grade and substrate compatability. yeah, they have food grade epoxy but for some retarded reason they also call food grade epoxy lining in tanks, "glass" just like corning glass is aluminium oxide. its a clusterfuck of nonsense.

trouble is, most industrial coatings are not available to consumers.

do you think just doing the usual wash for the poly resin after it cures is enough or will it continue to exude that toxic grease for a while?

>>1141847
ipe = Brazilian Walnut???
are you insane?
>>
Shellac is made from bug spit so it might be okay.
>>
>>1141989
The differences make big difference as a boat builder. Honestly I would just go with epoxy.
Polyester resin is going to give you problems with delamination and water getting into the wood.
Just get epoxy and some strips of woven fibreglass mat for all of your joins.
>>
File: 1381716833006.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
1381716833006.gif
2MB, 356x200px
There's this hentai manga where the girl's dad has a bunch of insects as a pet hobby and they rape her but then it kind of becomes her thing and she fucks all these bugs and feeds the larvae with her boob milk. It's alright and everything until this praying mantis gets her pregnant and she breaks up with her boy friend and her dad is ashamed of his daughter having an abomination baby, so he takes her to this lab and never comes back. She has this abomination bug/human baby hybrid and it's all fucked up looking but she's breastfeeding it and stuff and then fucks it too. I felt really bad for her because she was really cute and had a nice life until she started fucking bugs. I wish they killed her abomination baby and treated her to act more normally and re-enter society.
>>
>>1141542
You'll need epoxy if your want the box durable, and that means you guys are just in a polymer.

Do them in a plastic tub, and put the tub in a wooden box.

If you're hellbent on wood, you can use marine grade plywood or epoxy sealer. But that's a lot of unnecessary expense.

Think of a fencepost and how they rot fairly quickly, and that's in soil that dries out, pressure treated wood, with copper sealer.

Ship's hulks back in the day were covered in pitch (sap) - modern equivalent would be epoxy.

What I cant tell you to do is it dissolve expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) in acetone and paint the inside with it. It can be as hazardous as plastic during a fire so you totally shouldn't do that. This paragraph is me telling you not to use the cheapest and most effective form of sealing wood.
>>
>>1141989
>ipe = Brazilian Walnut???
>are you insane?
You asked dumb fuck
>>
>>1141542
My BSF generator is under the porch which is sealed and dry at all times. So I built mine with chipboard, some 2x4's for legs, and threw down some pond liner. I used bulkhead fittings for the BSF drop and some silicone caulk between the fitting and pond liner. there's a bulkhead fitting at the bottom for drainage as well.

It's going on 5 years now and doing great.
>>
>>1141542
Also make sure you cast out a few of the larvae into the yard every couple of days. You really want to encourage the local population to thrive.
>>
>>1141542

Hot wax/gum rosen dip the wood. They do it to beehives whick are considered food containers.
>>
>>1143780

For breeding purposes right? Since you need them to come back and lay eggs for the continued production?
>>
HPDE ( you can get massive rolls of this as pond liner)
>>
>>1141542
do you process them for food?
if so, how?
drying and crushing into protean rich powder or something?

seems like a good skill to have in case the world goes to shit.
a lille weird though.
>>
>>1143848
Yes.
>>
>>1143909
Second that. Get a sheet of high density polyethylene, it's inert up to strong oxidizing acids. Use hot iron or air to weld it to base.
For rot resistance and economy you can try making large ferrocement containers pretty easy: ram a pile of earth to resemble insides of the container, cover it with PE, smear some concrete over fine mesh on top of it.
OR, try finding cast iron bathtubs with good enamel on nearby scrapyard.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.