[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatcha Think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: bubble.jpg (87KB, 873x487px) Image search: [Google]
bubble.jpg
87KB, 873x487px
So I learned about these japanese dome homes the other day. They're expanded polystyrene structures that the company claims is fireproof, ecofriendly, cheap, more resistant to natural disasters than traditional structures and have excellent insulating qualities. I can't find much info on these outside the company website and they don't mention any cons and their pros seem kinda out there. Would you guys use one of these as a remote cabin? And if anyone can tell me any negatives they see right off that bat that would be appreciated.
>>
Also forgot to mention they're modular and come in pieces that you put together and plaster up. Basically you can make them the shape that works best for you and you can set up the whole thing by yourself.
>>
>>1141304
>>1141307
>one company making (((claims)))
>no use cases outside company website
>is this legit?

Yes I remember them from Star Wars. Good stuff.
>>
>>1141304

Looks like an interesting way to build a single story cabin. Domes are stupid though, just build something square.

http://archive.vcstar.com/news/concrete-covered-foam-creates-durable-buildings-ep-292658867-351684041.html
>>
>>1141331
Circles are more space efficient. Learn to math faggot.
>>
>>1141339
>Circles are more space efficient
On paper yes. Not in the real world.
>Volume =/= area.
>Furniture is not round.
>Building material is not round.
All those things mean at the end of the day you end up paying more for your square footage in a dome home. And less of it is used.
>>
>>1141304
>They're expanded polystyrene structures that the company claims is fireproof
lmao
>>
>>1141344
You use like 33% less material building a round house in the traditional sense with stick framing and make more useable square footage. Holy shit are you new.
>>
>>1141304
whats the [manufacturer] website?
image reverse jist throwing up the hotel or what/wherever pics from.
>>
>>1141339
>>1141348

You are even shittier than CIA at memeing, go to /lgbt/ for ball houses.
>>
I'd also like to say that they have videos of these things and seem legit. I'm just wondering how strong these things could be. Like do you think they would collapse if they got covered in snow or if you had a wild animal trying to get in. Like I get it's a different type of polystyrene that has more density than regular styrofoam but it's still styrofoam right?
>>
>>1141349
The website is http://www.i-domehouse.com/
>>
>>1141345
I'm skeptical too, the demo has a guy taking a blowtorch to it with nothing happening and they say it's got a fireproof coating, but its styrofoam so idk
>>
More pics of the dome home
>>
>>1141356
fireproof does not mean heat proof, it could degrade or deform and slide off and make the whole thing explosive... in extreme cases
>>
>>1141356
>But wait, there's more!
>>
>>1141358
Totally agree. It looks like the flame retardant coating they put on it it does something though. Here's the video https://youtu.be/NC5BtN7j57Y The blowtorch happens at about the 3:55 mark
>>
>>1141359
I get it, really do. Not looking to sell this shit or sing it's praises, just trying to figure out if it's not a total load of bull because it could potentially be a cool cabin for like weekend hunting trips
>>
>>1141352

An inch of fibre reinforced concrete can take a bit of force.
>>
>>1141367
>Weekend hunting trips

Just build a Quonset hut.
>>
>>1141304

Domes don't fit conventional furniture well as couches and shit are designed for straight walls

However, they survive hurricanes and other kinds of wind storm extremely well
>>
File: 20 camo.jpg (708KB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
20 camo.jpg
708KB, 2848x2136px
>>1141304
Weekend hunting trips really are a case for a shipping container. Have it delivered, place first railroad tie under outboard end, then place a second under the "truck side" end.

You can make them blend in. This is my 20ft (I hate using less than a forty but it fit the spot nicely) standard height.

Doors and windows are easy if want. You can fab them elsewhere then install at site.

Containers are tough, easy to work with, and if there's a forest fire it can destroy the paint but isn't likely to destroy the container. (You'd need to recoat promptly to avoid corrosion though.)

I have four and want more.
>>
>>1141344
Solution is to make building materials round and furniture round.

Not rocket science.
>>
>>1141387
Most people are not spherical, except in Burgerland.
>>
>>1141397
People are not square either.
>>
Sooooo...like Japanese earth ships? Save the recycling bit. Earth ships are cooler in general
>>
>>1141304
>fireproof
>polystyrene
yeah but that doesn't mean they don't release toxic gas when you wash your 1000° knife in cold water and the shrapnel digs into the walls.
>>
File: latest[1].png (318KB, 526x395px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
318KB, 526x395px
>>
>>1141464
Dragonball right? Thats exactly what I thought of when I saw these.
>>
>>1141354
So what does it cost? I'm not seeing any prices on the website, and I wonder what shipping is going to cost for these 10' sections that are 100 lbs each.
>>
>>1141494
I've seen different prices for it based off the source and what kind of structure you build. To give a rough idea I've seen between $5000-$10000 for the type shown in the original picture I posted.
>>
>>1141494
this be /diy/ - just need to figure out the best alternative for 20 vol polysterene, or nearest equivalent - I doubt, it is native to Japan.

Cutting is actually fairly easy, had a homemade machine for making (fuckbig) packaging once - basically, a wire and a shitload of current.

tldr - 20 vol poly, US or Yuro, where? how? - ta.
>>
>>1141411
I had an earthship kick going for a while, but realized the building materials for that was its achilles heel. The tires they use eventually break down and cause gas pockets that are toxic if they leak into the house if there a crack in the wall, or if the wall is very well sealed, then the gasses build up and will eventually break the house open. I actually thought it might be cool to combine some of the elements in the earthship model i.e. water recycling system, ventilation system, built in greenhouse, with the building material of these domes. You can put roofing tiles on these things so you could use the tesla solar tiles and a power wall for energy generation which would be cool. I don't know how the rain catchment system could be adapted to a sphere like structure though. Also I don't see these things being able to be built into any sort of underground foundation without serious reinforcing. Might be a cool idea to develop a cost effective eco home thats modular to allow for self sufficient amenities to be separated from living space. Kind of like an above ground bug out bunker.
>>
>>1141331
The fuck you say?
>>
>>1141348
there is a reason that timber frame houses are considered the go-to option for budget construction.
>we know it lasts for 100+ years with minimal maintenance if built to code
>you literally just pick up bits from the hardware store and cut it to size and glue/nail it together

OP:
>but circles are more efficient
ok how many cuts do you need to make in a square piece of timber to make a perfect sphere?
the answer is an infinite amount of cuts and joints

birds will demolish them pic related.

>>1141378
they're really a case for a rental motor home. in the majority of cases when people get something planning to use it all the time, they use it like twice a year. either way, it would still be cheaper to buy a used caravan or convert an old 4WD van/8seater landcruiser than to build a dedicated structure. also resale value. when you realise you made a mistake and built some bullshit inawoods, you cant sell that shit later on.

tl;dr a wooden box or 4WD w/ canopy tent is cheaper and better than this horse shit
>>
>>1141406
people are pretty rectangular prismy
>>
>>1141553

It looks like there's only a decorative layer of plaster on top of that, A proper layer of concrete is not going to be demolished by birds.
>>
>>1141556
yeah i've seen those russian inflatable concrete fabric buildings. they're good for their purpose: rapid deployment. they're very expensive though. at least 10x the cost of timber frame. but OPs post is about buildings make with expanded polystyrene not foam core, shotcrete and rebar coated cement then extract the form type construction.
>>
>>1141553
>infinite cuts
Maybe if you're a nerd. Get a 8" dia pvc pipe and a carpet steam cleaner. Enough patience and clamps, you can make any type of bend you want on that wood. No cuts, excepting maybe some to relieve pressure on the inside.
Or you could approximate a circle with an n-sided tipi type deal.
But earthen construction is far better suited to circles, be that cob or concrete.
>>
>>1141553
what is concrete
>>
The most obvious downsides have the same reason as some of the claimed advantages: it's shape. To reiterate what has been mentioned in this thread:

>>1141374
>Domes don't fit conventional furniture well as couches and shit are designed for straight walls
>>1141397
>Most people are not spherical
A dome just isn't a good fit for a human and furniture. You usually stand, so you need a height of let's say 2 meters. With that in mind, in a dome there is a huge amount of dead space, or in other words, for the same amount of space, the building needs to be bigger.
Of course you can work around that, arrange your custom built furniture in a way that exploits the given space restraints effectively, but all in all, you're less flexible living in a world adapted to square houses and rectangular furniture.
Furthermore, building several level high buildings will become more difficult with the same materials, I'd assume.

So while I think the company certainly puts the advantages in a good light, they're more or less truthful. The problem is, do they outweigh these issues, and even if, are there other solutions that have the same advantages without the downsides?
>>
>>1141559

I'm not sure that's true as long as you keep the rooms relatively small (and thus the necessary layers of concrete thin). Also use COTS EPS sheets instead of the expensive curved stuff the dome makers are peddling of course.

The most likely alternative for a low maintenance siding is corrugated metal, that's not really cheap either.
>>
Oh look, more tiny house shitposting

When will this meme end
>>
>>1141304
its not actually ploystyrene its this stuff
http://www.aircrete.co.uk/benefits/sustainable-credentials.html
>>
>>1141687
I don't know, they were pretty clear on their website and video that its polystyrene that just doesn't have as much air mixed in as the stuff you use for shipping.
>>
>>1141304
i think they're damn near ready for the earth to flood.
>>
>>1141304
>buyfag
MODS
we need some ban hammers in here
fucking JANITORS, do your job.

these threads are cancer.
>>
>>1141304
These sound like a joke. I doubt anyone would really want to live in them.
I'm pretty sure they're just joking and trying to make Dragon Ball come to life (this is what the housing in Dragon Ball looked like).

Anyways, if they said this is ``ecofriendly'' they would be lying. Ecofriendly would be a large, brutalist apartment building made out of modern materials, designed to scale vertically rather than horizontally.

Regardless of how much of a fucking hippie you are, it is more environmentally friendly to build housing closer together, especially in an island like Japan, where people live shoulder to shoulder.
>>
monolithic.org/

murican version

Friends dad had a book from them with all the possible floorplans (well the < 500k ones). looked like a good amount of usable space.

Less moveable space yes, but they can be more heating efficient (and less wind shear). Pretty extreme weather resistant too.
>>
>>1141464

So does the white dome house have a path leading to his neighbor's house so he can fuck his neighbor's wife?
>>
>>1141378
Now this is a good idea. I've always dismissed shipping containers because I've only seen people use them for stupid shit like tiny homes and underground bunkers (that collapse almost immediately) but I think you found a proper use for them.
>>
Expanded polystyrene = Styrofoam. It's important that you know this.
>>
File: namek.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
namek.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>1141304
Looks like a set for Namek in a new DBZ movie
>>
> not realising they use this " Expanded Polystyrene " as a shell to cover with shotcrete.
Shotcrete is a form of concrete used in making sphereical houses.

people being this fucking stupid.
facepalm.jpg
>>
>>1142238
Yellow buildings are living space the white one is a shop.
>>
>>1141339
wouldn't a honeycomb be objectively better?
>>
>>1141304
>They're expanded polystyrene
>resistant to natural disasters
>fireproof

I have serious doubts that they are better than brick at either of those with the only exception being earthquakes, which would make sense for Japan.
>>
>>1141304
No more spiders I guess, I mean, in corners and shit.
>>
File: Tatooine.jpg (147KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Tatooine.jpg
147KB, 960x540px
>>1141304
If it's good enough for Luke, then it's good enough for you.
>>
>>1141331
Look man we have no use for common sense were meming in here.

Want useable space and save on matierial? A frame. Need more? loft.
>>
>>1141331

Domes can tell tornadoes to fuck off better.
>>
>>1141687
That looks suspiciously like the breeze blocks that form the internal structure of most all masonry houses in the UK. Which is most houses.

Nothing revolutionary about breeze blocks, pretty sure "aircrete" is just a brand name for the most used blockwork in the UK.
>>
>>1142345
>Being so insecure about your Styrofoam house that you have to say a seven syllable phrase instead of a three syllable word

It's a styrofoam house with round walls. It's fucking retarded. Just like you.
>>
>>1141304
Traditional Japanese houses are so beautiful, and then some of them come up with this shit?
>>
>>1143925
in the world i think. its made with fly ash. literally building your house out of radioactive coal plant waste. i wish i never found out coal plants produce more fallout than nuclear plants.
>>
File: barbra papa.jpg (29KB, 374x176px) Image search: [Google]
barbra papa.jpg
29KB, 374x176px
holy shit they literally stole this idea from barbapapa
>>
How do you hang a picture in a round house without it swinging in the breeze? Or have a table up against a wall, or the sofa? How would you get up from a chair without banging your head on the damned wall that arches in above you?
Why the hell would anyone want to live inside a plastic pumpkin? The entire concept is fucking pants on head retarded.
>>
>>1145573
Are pictures of your wife's son really that import to you?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.