[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cut stationary leadscrew - 3D printed boogaloo edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 7

File: Leadscrew.jpg (10KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
Leadscrew.jpg
10KB, 361x361px
Alright /diy/ hold on to your hats, this is a doozy.

The problem can be divided in two for a better understanding:

1- (Pic related). I need to move a piston in and out of a tube (5cm ID) a couple of centimeters (10max). The piston however can not rotate. So I have used a threaded rod with rotating nut (picture of rode comes in next post). The threaded rod is grinded/Cut on a side (so the threads are cut). This cut area is then used to prevent the rotation of the rod. To move the piston up and down I rotate the nut.

This already works, however:
- The threaded rod has a metric thread, which is not so ideal for linear motion.
- There is only one cut area, so when you change directions, there is some backslash. I want to use two cut areas on opposing sides of the rod.
- I need to repeat the setup twice. The first time was an expensive custom CNC job.

So I want to use an acme-threaded rod or a leadscrew this time.

My doubts are:
- Will the same principle work with an acme/trapezoidal threading?
- Will it work even if I use TWO cut areas?
>>
File: Threaded_Rod.png (31KB, 324x234px) Image search: [Google]
Threaded_Rod.png
31KB, 324x234px
Pic is of the threaded rod we are using right now, the custom CNC job.

2- Is it possible to 3D print the whole screw setup?

We will have a pressure of about 3 bar inside the column, so about 60kg on the hypothetical plastic screw,
>>
By the way, how is this called?

I have tried looking for "stationary leadscrew" or "cut static thread"
>>
>There is only one cut area, so when you change directions, there is some backslash.
What does the "flat" have to do with backlash?
1)Is the rod still turning a bit?
Are you turning it by hand by hand or is there some other reason you need to reduce backlash? 2)Why is the backlash a problem?
3)Why not use a guide rod or two like cnc linear drives?

An actual pic of the setup or an explanition of the purpose would be helpful.
>>
File: Nut_for_Threaded_Rod.png (75KB, 367x378px) Image search: [Google]
Nut_for_Threaded_Rod.png
75KB, 367x378px
>>1141199
The rode is this one
>>1141183

- The backslash is not that important, so one flat area maybe enough. You are right.

- The rod works pretty well, but it is sometimes a bitch to turn. An acme or trapezoidal threading is however most likely a better alternative. Except that I do not know if the flat area will create problems with such threading.

>3)Why not use a guide rod or two like cnc linear drives?
What do you mean with this? Google does not return much.

Some more details. We are using this to pump a mixture into a bed of absorbers (beads) so we run tubes inside the threaded rod.

Picture - the rotating nut that goes over the threaded rod.
>>
File: Stopper_Flat_Area.png (38KB, 277x333px) Image search: [Google]
Stopper_Flat_Area.png
38KB, 277x333px
The "tongue" in this disc is in direct contact with the flat area of the rod.
>>
File: Assembly.png (29KB, 423x327px) Image search: [Google]
Assembly.png
29KB, 423x327px
This is the assembly of the threaded rod, the rotating nut, and a couple of discs including the one with the "tongue".

The rotating nut (>>1141216 )has a disk in its lower part which is sandwiched between two other discs (>>1141217 and another one), so when you rotate it, it stops and forces the threaded rod down or up.
>>
>>1141199
> 3)Why not use a guide rod or two like cnc linear drives?
something like this. Just attach a solid rod from the carrage to the piston

Here's most of the stuff for $33
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x-BQLZR-8mm-Lead-Screw-40cm-Linear-Rail-Bearing-Block-Slide-Bushing-Horizontal-/152194430282?hash=item236f7eb54a:g:U3kAAOSwARZXpFws

Theres also these anti-backlash nuts that keep tension on the screw
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-T8x2-Lead-Screw-Trapezoidal-ACME-Brass-Anti-Backlash-Nut-Adjustable-Preload-/322001322283?hash=item4af8c6412b:g:1LsAAOSwKfVXIYyb
>>
File: linear drive.png (188KB, 464x327px) Image search: [Google]
linear drive.png
188KB, 464x327px
>>1141221
>like this
Forgot pic
>>
File: schematic.jpg (46KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
schematic.jpg
46KB, 1600x1200px
>>1141223
The piston is inside the tube and the piston ends in the tube.

There can be no rods or anything in front of the piston.

Piston - black
White - inside of the tube, only water and beads
Gray - threaded rod or leadscrew
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.