[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOPE!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 15420_image3.jpg (21KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
15420_image3.jpg
21KB, 400x450px
This shit is awesome, why did nobody tell me about this sooner?

My plumbing skills are pretty basic, just your typical homeowner stuff, and I have had leaky plumbing under my kitchen sink for several years now. It seems like it always has a slow drip, eventually corrodes, and after 2-3 years, completely fails. I've replaced it all 3 times now.

This time I replaced everything (again) and used some dope on the threads.

HOLY SHIT! NO LEAKS! NO CORROSION! EVERYTHING FUCKING WORKS!

Where have you been all my life, you fucking awesome-sauce dope!
>>
>>1140888
>not wrapping joints in teflon tape
Jesus anon, this is basic shit.
>>
>>1140888
You're pretty fucking retarded if took this long

>>1140892
Or this for everything that is supposed to be removable
>>
>>1140888
>Where have you been all my life
same place as the boss white, the hemp cord and the plumber's mait: IN A FUCKIN MUSEUM
>>
White tape for water, yellow for gas and air.

Welds if it's high pressure.
>>
dope is really used as a lubricant some help as a sealant but use tape before.
I'm a gas fitter and we've done jobs without tape and some without dope, but tape always is more important
>>
>>1140888
I really was hoping this was about aircraft dope and where us americans can get it. I'm severely disappointed
>>
>>1140897
Sometimes.

Fucking A I hate fuckers trying to use teflon to seal joints that aren't tapered thread.

Compression sleeve? BETTER TAPE THE SHIT OUT OF IT. Oh what, I can't compress the ferrule properly because there's too much tape? Better take it off, put some more on and try again

Rubber compression sleeve? Keep on tapin'
Anti-gallin? Naw dawg, I got 8 layers on here. Water ain't going nowhere. Oh shit, it is,. Oh well. Cya, I left already.

Your hot water heater? Yeah, teflon the shit out of those nipples. Anti-galling? What's that? Put 4 wraps on there and torque the washer-sealed flex hose so much it damages the dielectric seal in the nipple.

Fucking god damnit you can't even hire a plumber around here that's not a fuck up.
>>
File: 1486950315730-mu.gif (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1486950315730-mu.gif
1MB, 500x280px
>>1141534
Well anyone that uses basic tape to seal is doing it wrong, more tape than a wrap or maybe even 2 is not helping anything. it's only intended to provide lubrication so you can get connections tighter with less force on the thread itself. I know of some sealing tapes(some as cheap as $30 for a roll the size of a typical teflon roll!). I never bothered with them, never needed to.

I prefer tape because I'm forced to not rely on dope sealing it, I have had way too many issues come up where I have to disassemble something and the just a little bit of tortion breaks the dope up enough to cause a leak down the line which requires more down time and more work.

That being said, flares, compression fittings, unions, anything where the threads aren't doing the sealing rarely ever require tape. I do use tape on them occasionally, if they're old and have been reused a couple times. It's likely unecessary but I know that after repeated tightening for a decade, or even a near a century, the thread will be weakened(whether it's enough to matter I don't know, i gurantee I'd be making more money if I did) so it's more to take some of the work from the thread. Besides, it only takes a bottle of soap water and some inexperience to realize that most leaks on those types of fittings arent at the threads.

I do keep some nice dopes with me though, from lubricating to metal infused to epoxies, and I do have to use them from time to time. The main refinery I work at doesnt have tape in their procedures, it's all this high VOC weak dope that's very budget friendly, it's trash, I spend more time scrubbing it off than anything.

Tl;dr tape rules, use it right, know it's limits, it won't solve every problem, quarter turn past hand tight is bullshit though
>>
File: PS77- 250ml_D.jpg (6KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
PS77- 250ml_D.jpg
6KB, 310x310px
>>1140888
>not using 3M products
>>
>>1142290
Anyone else feels like this is pasta potential?
>>
>>1140888
No idea. Looks kill, nig.
>>
>>1141524
i also thought was that Dope
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.