[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any reasonable priced, decent vises anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: 619rfaLyGZL._SL1200_.jpg (105KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
619rfaLyGZL._SL1200_.jpg
105KB, 1200x1200px
Are there any reasonable priced, decent vises anymore?
>>
>>1140783
Only used. Look for a decent US made Wilton.
>>
>>1140786
It's hard to find good, old US made stuff for sell here in Europe. At least in my country we don't have many yard sales like you guys have there.

Ebay is an option but then there's import taxes that fuck good deals up-
>>
>>1140783
>>1140815
look for shit like that: https://www.olx.bg/ad/shlosersko-mengeme-ID6gXEV.html#f27315f7e7

old vises are usually solid af, if you can invest some time in refurbishing it. this one is being sold for about 90€ (which is overpriced imo)
>>
>>1140815

What's the point in searching for US made? Pretty much every country in Europe had their own steel mills and their own brands of tools. In some of them the steel was actually good too.
>>
>>1140783
>tfw haven't worked with a vise in a long time

I remember using it to make a robot arm of some sort but aside from that I can barely remember what else I used it for
>>
>>1140783
Nope. Chink shit or 100 year old leg vice. Or new...
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (246KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
246KB, 1600x1200px
Are Record, made in england vises for any good? There's some for sell and the price ain't too bad.
>>
File: Prentiss.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Prentiss.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>1140815
>Europe
Look for an English vise like a Record or Paramo or a Polish vise like an FPU (they look like turtles).

Alternatively, you can go for one of those all-steel German vises like a Brockhaus Heuer or a Ridgid.

You won't find many US-made vises in Europe. They've become harder to find and more expensive even in the US. I got lucky and snagged my old Prentiss from an estate sale for $20, but in my experience good stuff at good prices is so rare these days that it's not really worth bothering with estate sales, garage sales, or flea markets unless you actually enjoy the hunting.

If you have something like Craigslist there, check it a few times a day. You'll probably see a lot of junk or good stuff at ridiculously high prices, but there are good deals here and there.

>>1142723
From what I've seen in the vise enthusiast thread on Garage Journal, tons of people have them and love them and say they hold up very well. I think they make some (maybe all) in China now, so be sure to get one that says England on it.
>>
>>1142728
Damn, your pic related look very nice.

I found some really nice ones made in my country, from a local company that was a national flagship for metal related products in the 1900s. But just as expected people know what they're selling and they want a shitton of money for them.

I will keep looking. Thanks.
>>
>>1142732
What country? What company?

I don't know why, but I've developed an obsessive fetish for vises.
>>
>>1142738
Portugal, company was called Oliva.
Funny thing, it had American investors during the 70s.
>>
>>1142740
Ooh. The body, static jaw, and wide slide are similar to the traditional English vises, but that fat bulbous dynamic jaw is rather unique. I like it.

Don't know what the situation is like there, but in the US if you can get a good vise for less than a couple bucks per pound, you're getting a good deal. $3-4 per lb. isn't unheard of and not too unreasonable for very nice examples.

For general purpose use you probably want something around 20-30 kg. Maybe as little as 15kg if it doesn't have a swivel base and you're not going to be too rough on it. Try to shoot for <4 Euro per kg but maybe go up to 8 or so if it's a really nice vise and you're getting impatient.

Also when you're looking at old vises, make sure they're not broken in any way. Check for cracked slides, cracks where the dynamic jaw meets the slide, cracks or broken off slide supports (the part that sticks out of the front-bottom of body that the slide rides on top of). If you're not familiar with what a braze looks like, find some images of them, and avoid vises that have brazed repairs on them unless they're extremely cheap. Cast iron has a reputation for being difficult to repair and you can't really trust it unless you trust whoever did it to be skilled enough.
>>
File: 1509196.jpg (103KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
1509196.jpg
103KB, 800x799px
>>1140815
why would you buy a us made vise in europe

a question does anyone know why US vises are always move the front jaw

every quality vise in germany is back opening pic releated

that just seems much more durable because the front jaw is mounted on the bench
>>
>>1143005
>why would you buy a us made vise in europe
Because the ones I found more info are usually made there. But feel free to share some european quality vises and I will look into them.
>>
>>1143005
Well one advantage to the front dynamic jaw is that you can always have stuff hang down past the bench. With the rear dynamic jaw, you can only do that for very thin stuff before it would be hitting the bench.

Also it just gives you a bit more room to stand back and work with stuff as opposed to having to hover over the bench. There are certain things you'd actually want to be over the bench, but a swivel base can usually accomplish that for vises with a front dynamic jaw.

The rear dynamic jaw probably is inherently stronger, though. Also the Germans make those forged steel vises (like the Brockhaus Heueur and Ridged branded ones) which are basically indestructible without being huge and heavy like American cast iron vises. Even modern ductile iron vises have to be very beefy to withstand heavy use.

>>1143008
Record, Paramo, FPU, Brockhaus Heueur, Ridgid, Leinen... probably more but I don't know much about European vises.
>>
>>1142728
Damn, they have that vice at the firestation where my dad works. First saw it when I was a kid. It's still there, used all day every day. I've broken 1 stanley and 1 chink, now looking for a used "Pëurg" or something. Heard they were circulating secondhands.
>>
>>1143045
>search for Pëurg
>only result is this thread
Good job coming up with something completely unique in the entire history of the internet.
>>
>>1143067
An old fashioned googlewhack? Is
this 2004?
>>
>>1140815
I got one Brockhaus Heuer for €25, I think it's 14cm. It looks a little old but it is still in great condition. And real solid.
At a flea market a brand new Ridgid Peddinghaus Matador 100cm for €70,-. And I mean brand new as in new in the original box. Also a very solid vise. Both brands are excellent, when you buy a second hand one just check if the jaws are not completely worn I guess.
>>
I encountered the same problem when I wanted one. I bought a Record no3 for about £15 used because of all the reasons given in this thread. Obviously being in the UK helps and being near Sheffield helps as the collapsed steel industry means there are basically fields of the things kicking around for modest sums as long as you'll collect. They aren't very economical when posted for obvious reasons.
>>
>>1143090
>Brockhaus Heuer
Like this, or an older style? Not sure if they always made forged steel vises. Either way €25 is a steal for any good 14cm vise.

>I bought a Record no3 for about £15
Another fantastic deal.
>>
File: brock.jpg (113KB, 2000x1288px) Image search: [Google]
brock.jpg
113KB, 2000x1288px
>>1143095
>forgot to attach picture

Bad headache, brain is fried.
>>
>>1142728
T H I C C
>>
>>1143095
It kind of looks like this, it says 'Heuer Front'. Anyway yeah it was a steal. Initially I went over there to buy a small welding table, just the right height and an indestructible construction. Also for €25,- .
>>
Got a solid one from an old woman who came into my shop the other day. Her husband had just died and she had a lot of gas cylinders she wanted to get rid of, I went to her place and her husband had a ton of good shit, welding supplies, torches, tools, and that vice. She wanted to give it to me for free but I gave her $100 for it all, would have felt like a robbery otherwise
>>
>>1143248
>not posting pictures on an imageboard
>>
>>1142740
>dat jaw
H I G H T E S T
I
G
H
T
E
S
T
>>
Brand does not matter unless you are a collector.

Any old vice that has survived this long and still works smoothly is guaranteed to be good.
>>
>>1140783
Go to ebay, look for collection only items. Check the item for cracks, if none you can get a top quality vice for ~£10.
When someone's grandpa dies, the children put his top quality loved tools on ebay. It is too expensive to make good iron tools these days, so the old tools are the best (at reasonable price).

The older it looks the better - as long as there are no cracks. Also avoid aluminium vices - they suck.

>>1142723
Old Record, Stanley and Woden are all good.
I got 2 Record Imps for a tenner each, real nice and solid. The old Made in England iron stuff is real good quality.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.