[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is this? Found in a dumpster.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 20170210_141614.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170210_141614.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
What is this? Found in a dumpster.
>>
its a drll
>>
*drill
>>
>>1140405
>>1140407
I figured as much, but any idea what type? I've never seen one like it.
>>
>>1140401
It's a Black & Decker D handle power drill.
It appears to have an adapter in place of the chuck to adapt it to a specific use.
(mixing machine for sheetrock, etc.)

>>1140401
>I figured as much, but any idea what type? I've never seen one like it.
It's rather old - I'd guess from the '50s or '60s.
>>
>>1140411
Dubs confirm. You're the best, thanks.
>>
>>1140413
>>
>>1140411
That logo looks somewhere between the mid 60s and early 80s, the old half-inch black and deckers used to be good drills and will probably still have parts.
Might be worth dredging out and refurbishing as vintage power tools are pretty popular
>>
>>1140401
Trash
>>
File: drill_bits_MT2_shanks.jpg (46KB, 640x324px) Image search: [Google]
drill_bits_MT2_shanks.jpg
46KB, 640x324px
>>1140401
Upon further research I believe the adapter on the end is a machine taper shank adapter, for bits like this.
>>
>>1140411
Really close. It is indeed a Black & Decker D-handle drill from the 60's. They started using that logo in 1960, so it is after that time. By the 70's they were starting to use plastic in the body and double insulating their tools. The chuck looks to be a Morse taper adapter. Very strange to find that on a hand drill. That is mostly used for very large drill bits and other things like that. You generally only see it on drill presses, lathes, etc. That drill has an extra long handle. That means it is probably one of their really powerful models. You needed the extra leverage to keep if from breaking your wrist. It likely originally had a 5/8th or 3/4th inch chuck on it. If it still works you can flip it for a mint on eBay to a collector. You can also use it yourself. The older drills had plenty of power but tended to have lower RPMs than modern ones. They are also heavy as hell. That was back when B&D made some of the best tools you could buy, though. Great find.
>>
File: black_decker_logo_history.png (97KB, 600x301px) Image search: [Google]
black_decker_logo_history.png
97KB, 600x301px
>>1140415
>That logo looks somewhere between the mid 60s and early 80s,
>>1140435
>Black & Decker D-handle drill from the 60's

Good catches.
The logo on the drill was used from 1960 to 1984.
>>
>>1140435
Oh, one more thing. Can you post a picture of the original data plate? You can narrow down the age by seeing which plant is was made at. Also, if the address has a zip code then it is after 1976 and before 1984 (They changed their logo again in 1984). No zip code and it's before 1976 and after 1960.
>>
>>1140435
I actually preferred the lower RPM ones, less likely to flip their shit and snap your wrist off when you have to drill eleventybillion holes in wooden fence posts all day.
Plus the steel gearing was usually really heavy duty and won't strip out unless you do something fucking weird with it, they will rust though so it'll need to be checked out. They're pretty electrically retarded though the only things there that really die tend to be the bushes, which aren't a hard job to replace if you can find spare ones
>>
>>1140401
it looks like a "shovel handle" drill with a Morse taper spindle.
Maybe a NÂș1 morse, due the small groove on the side.
That groove is for removing the drillbit
>>
>>1140454
btw morse tapers are mostly exclusive to metal work.
Wood drillbits had other types of tapers
And concrete/cosntruction don't use tapers that i know. Only SDS bits
>>
>>1140401
Its heavy junk that is borderline unusable because of its size
>>
>>1140474
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=exercises+for+a+limp+wrist
>>
>>1140401
Something that will break your wrist if not used properly and will most likely shock the shit out of you when you pull the trigger.
>>
>>1140701
>Something that will break your wrist if not used properly
Same with any high power drill. That is kind of the point.

>and will most likely shock the shit out of you when you pull the trigger.
Why is that? They did ground the tools back then.
>>
>>1140455
Came here to post this. I use flat track bits in tapers like that for drilling bolt on equipment blades and I fucking hate it.

You could clean and sell that drill if it works but in that case I'd pawn it as is.
>>
I'd keep it if you can get it working.

Small drills are fine for most work but if you have to spin heavier bits something with serious power is needed. Morse taper bits are cheap on ebay because it's a very common metal working taper. The reason for a taper instead of a Jacobs chuck is tapers will take far more torque without slipping.

I don't use my Milwaukee Hole Hawg much but when I need it, I need it, and that beast in OPs pic looks plenty stout.

The more good tools you own the better. The jobs will find them...
>>
>>1141400
BTW the bits are removed by tapping a "drift" into the oval slot.
>>
>>1140401
>dumpster

yeah right, you're at DRMO aren't you?
>>
>>1141401
> tapping a "drift"

you mean a wedge?

>>1141032
>flat track drills
whot?
>>
>>1140401
>b&d
It's trash, you should return it to it's natural habitat
>>
>>1141481
Old B&D was the equivalent to what Festool is today.
>>
>>1141493
Yeah
>trash
Lrn2read
>>
>>1141493
stop listening to grandpas stories sonny boy
>>
File: 716tavG+PnL._SX355_[1].jpg (12KB, 355x218px) Image search: [Google]
716tavG+PnL._SX355_[1].jpg
12KB, 355x218px
>>1141479
>you mean a wedge?
Chucks held in place with a Jacob's taper often use wedges to remove them. Morse tapers use 'drift keys'. Picture related.

>>1141481
Believe it or not, 40 years ago, B&D was one of the greatest power toolmakers on the planet. They basically ruined their brand back in the 80's and 90's by making crap and selling it under their own name while still releasing good stuff under the names like B&D 'Professional' or 'Industrial'. Then they realized the huge fuckup they had made. Too late, of course, the damage was done. So, they took the DeWalt name, which they had bought in 1960 and retired in the late 80's when they stopped selling radial arm saws, and relaunched it. The did a huge marketing campaign and renamed their 'Professional' and 'Industrial' lines to DeWalt. The rest is history.
>>
>>1141501
yeah, i was talking about those.
Here we always call them Wedges, never heard of drift keys before
>>
>>1140408
usually good for mixing shit like concrete in a bucket
>>
>>1141495
>premium tools are trash
epic troll dude

>>1141497
used to think along the same lines when I was a /diy/ noob, but after coming into some vintage b&d tools i did a little research and it turns out they were the leaders of innovation back in the day. Literally the best tools money could buy at one point.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.