[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

magnet fishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

File: 001.jpg (382KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
382KB, 1400x1050px
I wasn't sure where to put this, I figured this was the best spot.

Has anyone heard of or gone magnet fishing?

It's when you attach a magnet to a rope and throw it and drag it though lakes/ponds/rivers.

I want to try this, What type of magnet would work best to pick up maybe 3-10 pounds?

I was thinking of doing it at the Detroit river to see how many stolen cars I get snagged on or murder weapons I pull up, Will probably keep the police busy the good part of the day and have some fun too.
>>
>>1140201
yes its all over youtube
>>
File: shopping.jpg (17KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
17KB, 800x800px
>>1140201
It's a lot of fun. I've found more old fish hooks and bottle caps than anything though.

I use pic related.
>>
>>1140266
What's a good rope that does OK with water and rubbing on concrete (given I hook something big), A 150lb magnet is pretty strong.
>>
>>1140270
I just use cheap twisted and braided nylon rope. Won't rot, and handles abrasion fine. Just tie your knot especially well, or it may untie and you'll lose your magnet.
>>
>>1140273
What's the coolest thing you have ever found?

Thanks for the advice! I'll pick some up tonight
>>
>>1140274
Nothing cool yet, but just started last fall, and it's been too cold to go lately.
>>
>>1140283
Well good luck!

I don't necessarily want to find someone's murder weapon or a stolen civic (as I can't keep those things) but anything historical would be pretty cool, Even If It's just old tools or farm equipment.

Was kind of thinking of heading to any pond/streams near Gettysburg when I get PTO from work later this year or when I head down to TN to visit my family
>>
>>1140286
Yeah definitely, I wish you luck as well.

If you do find a suspected murder weapon, turn it in to the police. Many states and localities have a "return after 30 days" policy, which means if they cannot find what case it was used in, they will let you keep it. It may be something like a drive by where no one was harmed, but the perpetrator panicked and tossed it anyway.

If you do come across something like that, make sure to ask and follow up regularly!
>>
>>1140290
It's not IF It's when lol. It's Detroit, Yearly they pull bodies and dozens of stolen cars out of that river. It's probably littered with guns because no one ever drains it lol.

I do plan to tell Detroit police what I'm doing before I go do it, So they aren't surprised when I call them 3 or 4 times to come pick up guns I'm pulling out of the river.

I will write down what I pull out and take pics to post on /diy/ later but I honestly don't want a gun If It's been laying at the bottom of river, Unless It's in impeccable condition or a very rare or expensive gun I doubt I'll follow up on it

Probably going to head out there this week based on the weather and If home depot has my magnet in store or I have to order it online
>>
>>1140290
This article was pretty interesting,

Probably the reason there are so many guns down there is because the police divers can only run their hands on the bottom of the river, They haven't figured out magnets exist yet and they can stay dry doing it

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/02/01/guns-cannons-cars-history-detroit-river/96833680/
>>
>>1140303
Holy shit lol that's is fascinating. If I found a goddamn British cannon, I'd get that bitch home somehow and never tell a fucking soul.
>>
>>1140201
Here's my rig. The magnet has a pull of 230lbs. Found an anchor and a shitton of bungee cords down at a local boat launch. It's a fun thing to do on a hot day, or when you're heading back in after fishing all day.
>>
>>1140342
Nice.

That pulled an anchor up?

You should look near bridges, Apparently that is a good place to find shit
>>
>>1140201
I've got about 10 600lb. maglock armatures laying around. I'm intrigued by the idea of waterproofing them enough to use them for that. It would be useful to be able to turn the magnet off if it hit a car or something.
>>
>>1140369
It's really quite easy to pull off even a 300lb force permanent magnet. It would be fun to do that, but not really necessary.
>>
>>1140377
>fun
>not necessary

My kind of project. I'm going to make some gausser/degaussers from some of them one of these days.
>>
Anyone have a link to a good maginet for this? Worried about it cracking.
>>
>>1140201
if you find a coffee can full of gold coins, do not tell any one!
>>
HF has one for $9, nice
>>
So is the anodized coating enough to repel fresh and/or salt water, or do you have to cover a magnet like that in a coat of epoxy if you want to use it more than a couple of times?
>>
>>1140201
Canadian coins are magnetic so its popular up there
>>
>>1140478
It shouldn't corrode with the existing coating, depending on the magnet, but when a chunk of metal flies up and hits the magnet, you can expect that coating to wear off, so I'd put a waterproof epoxy on the underside of it, and maybe on the other sides too just in case, it only needs a mm or so. Magnets are pretty brittle too, and the danger of them shattering when something is attracted into it increases with magnet size.
>>
>>1140298
Yus.

Report back also
>>
>>1140342
That thing can pull 230lbs upwards!?
In water or in air?
>>
>>1141042
>In water or in air?
Friend... were you in special classes in school?

>Implying metal weighs less in water
>>
>>1141109
Ever heard of the difference in density of air and water. Did you finish your diploma or not get that far
>>
>>1141109
Do you not understand resistance?
Try to go for a run underwater and tell me how quick and light you are.
>>
>>1141042
I'm the one you directed the question too friend, and no, unless the magnet is completely flush with a fully magnetic surface it won't have full pull. I have lifted two 40lbs bumbells that were ziptyed together by sticking it to the handle of one and it seemed sturdy enough.
of those dumbbells were underwater and I had to drag them I doubt it would have worked. Lifting stright up out of water it would work.
>>
I'll be trying it this spring. Soon. Got a magnet with 90lb pull.
>>
>>1140286
DNR says you can't keep anything of historical significance, which means anything man made. You can open yourself up to fines and jail time for taking or disturbing artifacts. Just telling someone what you found can invite DNR to look through your house. They can come in without a warrant based on suspicion.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn48SaX00sA
>>
>>1141201
>without a warrant based on suspicion

So the 4th Amendment doesn't apply to the deer police in Trump's Amerikkka now?
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1140274
a big magnet
>>
>>1141109
Mass and weight aren't the same thing.
>>
>>1140201
Anyone know much about magnets?
Which one should I buy? https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170308162138&SearchText=Magnet+fishing
>>
>>1141541
Why?
All my sheckles are non-magnetic, so it can't be that
>>
>>1140201
take apart a microwave and take the magnets from the magnetron. those are strong as fuck. just don't electrocute yourself or break the ceramic insulators on the magnetron when taking it apart
>>
>>1140404
I bought a $40 vacuum pump on amazon and I can degas anything. I don't need to degass anything but thats besides the point. last christmas I vacuum packed all the gifts I gave. it was useless but people enjoyed it so it was worth it
>>
>>1141636
It didn't break your other big magnet did it?
Big magnets have a way of smashing the fuck out of each other.
>>
>>1141643
Correct, but weight still doesn't change in water.
>>
>>1141977
Degauss, not degas
>>
>>1140270
550 paracord?
>>
>>1142013
Just report it and move on. They get deleted and hopefully le ebin maymay redditor cops a ban.
>>
>>1142004
Incorrect. Weight does change, unlike mass. You measure weight with a scale which actually measures force, not mass. As the downward force decreases the weight (force) decreases.
A diver is essentially weightless underwater, unless it's a shit diver .

"Thus buoyancy is expressed through Archimedes' principle, which states that the weight of the object is reduced by its volume multiplied by the density of the fluid."
>>
>>1141109
>I don't know what buoyancy is!
LMAO
>>
>>1141975
>electrocute
...who takes apart a plugged in machine?
>>
>>1142002
nah was just joking mate
probably the friction of the water will lessen the impact of 2 magnets smashing each other
>>
>>1142209
capacitors mate, look it up
>>
>>1142010
/k/ pls
>>
>>1142042
No.
Weight is the force due to gravity. You will feel less weight if you're in a dense fluid, but the weight force from gravity isn't changed unless you change the value of g (e.g. alter the distance from the earth) or change your mass.
>>
>>1140342
What's the thing around it? Looks like a plastic shroud of some kind?
>>
>>1142761
It's the cut-off top of a soda bottle to prevent snags.
>>
>>1142761
>>1142776
Ding ding ding correct it's a poweraid bottle to prevent snags on roots/branches/rocks.
>>
>>1141201
Wait, I metal detect. We pull up coins, pocket knives, various tools and shackles etc. are you saying it's illegal. I'd expect i'd know about that if it was true.
>>
>>1141636
For you
>>
>>1142209
Capacitors hold a charge even when not plugged in. People (well at least one guy I read about) have died trying to fix a microwave that was unplugged
>>
>>1141489
The fourth amendment died with the NDAA. A bipartisan bill signed into law by asshole 44.
>>
>>1140201
Is this legal? Could I go magnet fishing in baltimore and pull up guns?
>>
>>1140201
>throw magnet in river
>pull out a live ww2 mortar shell
>throw magnet in lake
>pull out ruskies live hand granates
>throw magnet in another lake find a barel with a dead body
ah i love my country
>>
>>1140201
your just going to get a bunch of fishing hooks and fishing equipment
>>
>>1142392
Technically, under newtonian physics, you're wrong, as it takes other forces into account (not just mg=W)
>>
>not getting 20x n52 100kg magnets, putting them all on a large steel structure, attaching, a steel wire and using a 12,000 pound wench to reel it in
>>
>>1143606
>12,000 pound wench
Dude your mom needs to lose some weight
>>
>>1142209
lots of electronic devices hold a charge even when unplugged and left unplugged for a long time. It's one of the reasons those devices have "WARNING, DO NOT OPEN" stickers. Those items hold a charge capable of potentially killing you if handled improperly.
>>
File: 1482391612117.jpg (365KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482391612117.jpg
365KB, 900x900px
>>1143639
how will he ever recover
>>
>>1143578
No.
Weight is a force. It is specifically the force due to gravity. Which DOES NOT FUCKING CHANGE IF YOU'RE IN WATER OR NOT. The buoyancy from the displaced water is irrelevant to the weight of the object.

>technically
No. Fuck off.
>>
>>1143734
Weight does not change in water.

>>1141109
Is a retard for not being able to infer what >>1141042 asked. That being said, things in water APPEAR to weigh less due to upthrust. We balance out forces. So a magnet will be able to lift two different weights in air and under water.
>>
>>1141201
Only in historical sites controlled by state or federal employees like Gettysburg battle field. Anywhere else is okay.
>>
>>1140273
>>1140274

Add tape or heat shrink over the knots.
>>
>>1140201
Is that Čezeta?
>>
>>1144647
I just look at it and it really looks like ČZ.

https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75
>>
>>1140377
Interesting, I was wondering about that. The place I'd be looking is littered with old boat mooring which wouldn't be going anywhere in a hurry
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.