[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumpster Diving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 15

File: 171-0211092005-dumpsterdive.jpg (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
171-0211092005-dumpsterdive.jpg
24KB, 320x240px
Well Its getting nice out and be thinking about hitting up dumpster again and anything use able under the free section on Craigslist.

Post what you found so far this year and share what you found last year.
>>
File: IMG_0337.jpg (1003KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0337.jpg
1003KB, 2592x1936px
Posting what I found last year. I use to live in a duplex behind a strip mall and shared dumpsters with them (the person that owned the strip mall also owned the duplexes).
>>
File: IMG_0338.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0338.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140123
>>
File: IMG_0339.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0339.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140125
>>
File: IMG_0340.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0340.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140128
>>
File: IMG_0347.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0347.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140130
Inside pic of the alarm control panel
>>
File: IMG_0341.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0341.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140133
>>
File: IMG_0343.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0343.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140134
Forgot to add, some of this stuff was still in sealed bags and boxes that didn't get used.
>>
File: IMG_0342.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0342.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140137
>>
File: IMG_0345.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0345.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140138
>>
File: IMG_0349.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0349.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>1140139
>>
File: IMG_0336.jpg (944KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0336.jpg
944KB, 2592x1936px
>>1140141
The Dell is a Dimension XPS R350 with a 350MHz PII. Found it one night along with other that I went back to get but a scraper came and cut all the wires from the monitor and the 2.1 speaker system. I havent got around to testing the dell.

The Lenovo, can't remember the model is an AMD Dual Core with 4GB RAM and 80GB HDD with Vista Business and 7 Pro keys on it. Only thing wrong was a dead power supply which I had a few used ones to replaced the dead one.
>>
>>1140144
>>1140144
Other stuff I found includes a Dell LCD monitor with a few scratches.

I did have a few more of the security system hardware but around winter time I started to desolder parts off from some of the hardware.

I'm not plan on keeping all of this stuff. Some of it is going to be used to teardown videos and desolder stuff off that I can reuse for other projects.

I found all this stuff in the same dumpster too. There was more stuff that I never got around to grabbing such as 3 or 4 LCD TVs that were the same and used for displaying information till they got replaced with bigger ones, more alarm system shit, and furniture and displays from businesses that got remodeled or closed down.

I also had a problem with a scrapper that drives around all the strip malls in my area and just cutting cables from stuff or destroying stuff to get to the copper wiring on the inside such as in CRT TVs. One time I threw away 3 dead drills, 4 or 5 dead batteries, and 3 chargers. Later on that day I went back to throw more shit away and seen that the charger cables got cut off and someone took the drills and the batteries that went with them.
>>
>>1140122
I live on a military base and I find lots of cool shit all the time.

I've gotten multiple sets of camo netting (desert and woodland), noise-cancelling pilot headphones, knives, pouches, armor panels for vehicles, multiple full tool boxes, machinist's squares, a soldering kit, welding jig, 2 voltmeters, a 50lb bag of assorted nuts and bolts (one of the most-used things I've ever found), and a bunch of other shit.
>>
>>1140145
You are a loser and have only found junk.
>>
>>1140264
I'm interested about those armor panels. How good are they? The 10k per square meter kind?
>>
>>1140145
>LCD TVs
I've found that these can be worth taking. They'll usually have a decent psu board in them that's separate from the control board, a lot of them have inverters which I like because I work with tubes, and I've found some that have removable PLCC microcontroller chips, which can very usable if you know how to program them (usually just asm or something)
>>
Last year I got over $1500 worth of PC parts in the form of two mostly put together gaming PC. This year a big ps2 that Im trying to determine if it works or not
>>
Dumb Question, are there laws surrounding dumpster diving? or would that be an state to state kind of law?
>>
>>1140553
If there were it would be state-to-state, because they would be local recycling-firm protection laws as opposed to practical laws, unless there was a particular problem with the homeless in the city. Check out your city and state, but the general law is if you don't need to trespass, cause a ruckus, or make a mess, it's legal.
>>
In general, you are free to take the content of a dumpster because once something is in the trash it is no longer anybody's property.
But the dumpster itself is somebody's property. So is the land its on.
You can still get in trouble for trespassing.

Also, some European cities give recycling companies contracts to "dispose" of electronics and appliances.
They usually have separate bins for these items. The contents of these bins are property of said company. Taking them would be the same as taking something from a recycling center.
>>
>>1140264
Sheit anon, us other anons might be interested in buying some of that shit. For a fair price, of course.

What kind of knives we talking about, bayonets, or folding, or what? Pouches sound pretty good, too, but those are easy enough to come by.
>>
>>1140385
K u n t
Y
S
>>
this is how it's done.
> https://youtu.be/LDVCQfdC4Xk
Also, i found a fully functioning Canon HD camcorder in the electronics bin at the office.
tons of network and power cables, mice and keyboards, too.
a laptop with a smashed screen is my openmediavault nas right now.
>>
>>1140385
someone sounds mad
>>
>>1140553
Its state by state. I just called the police and asked and they told me that there are no laws.

But be careful for signs, thats where they get you at and don't break locks or make a fuckin mess.
>>
>>1140763
He probably found maggots inside his vintage soviet dumpster-scope.
>>
>>1140766
I was going to say he found a bottle full of piss and thought it was vodka.
>>
>>1140385

>>1140763
>>1140766
>>1140768
I bet he is one of those scrappers and is mad because you came along and took all this stuff before he could swing on by in his shitty ratty ass truck to cut all the wiring out for dem pennies.
>>
I scored a used, but fully working hoverboard this year. As well as 100% brand new tri scooter as well as some other new products @ some Decathlon store.
>>
Pallet wood stool
>>
>>1141376
That's not tee bag, give 'er another slab o' timber and she'll be skookum as frig!
>>
last time I dumpster dived was at a aldis for food.

I dumpster dived a elementary school (at night) as I was leaving who else but a cop on the road to pull a U turn and pull me over, I didn't have insurance had to pay a fine (not mad about that) what pissed me off is how they made me stay for 45 minutes asking me fucking questions and taking picture of me, i felt if I said no to any of their questions it would've just been worse night for me.

>got a bank statement with full account number and balance of 100k in the account from that elementary school.

Cops shined their light in my car and saw the box full of paper. when they asked I bullshit and said my dog wasn't feeling well and I stopped at the school to see if she was going to throw up. I took the box and put paper in there and I was gonna put her in there if she seemed like she was going to puke.

I didn't do anything with that account obviously, I didn't want to go to jail.
>>
>>1141537
That was a shitty night for me, and that was the last time I dumpster dived, I should probably do it in the day for less suspicion.
>>
>>1141538
I would stay away from schools, just because the bullshit that is going on the past few plus years. A college, you can blind in most of the time.

Just hit up stores or apartment dumpsters.
>>
>>1140765
It's city to city. A lot of cities (read as rich white cities) have local ordinances that make it illegal.
>>
>>1141537
Used to work at a school. We threw away awesome crap because loltaxpayersmoney.

Way to random to capitalize on though for a random diver. Not to mention all the fucking food waste.

If you find out what the last day of school for students is and the last day for teachers is before summer, go those days.
>>
File: caveman snake pleased.jpg (10KB, 383x281px) Image search: [Google]
caveman snake pleased.jpg
10KB, 383x281px
>>1140122

Missed out on a nice dehumidifier (phase-change refrigeration, not peltier) and mini-fridge tonight. Saw them in the dumpsters at work yesterday, both were gone when I went to get them tonight.

Sad times. I can always use a good radiator and compressor.

On the plus side, I scored about 800ft^2 of 3/32 mass-loaded vinyl. Total fluke that the timing worked out perfectly, as I just ripped out the carpet in the new-to-me truck (serious mold problem in addition to being old and jank), and was lamenting that I couldn't justify the extra-cost of any sound treatment. This solves that issue nicely. I don't even know what I'm going to do with all the extra.
>>
>>1140264
Hope you got some dd214s for that stuff or your ass is grass.
>>
>>1140123
A 1970's intercom and some old telephones? You know you are making Africans poor by stealing this.
>>
>>1140763
nope, I habor no anger. I merely wish you awake.
>>
>>1142006
>dd214s for that stuff

I hope that was sarcasm. DD Form 214 is a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty

He'd be wise to be discreet though since he's got no receipt, but they shitcan many tons of stuff because it's motherfucker to turn in if not in box or used or custom. We used to have shitloads of good paint, lube and solvents that had to disappear before inspections. I got told to fill my truck so I did. I'm still working off a five gallon tub of high dollar molybdenum aircraft wheel bearing grease. Our 200ft custom extension cords were not UL listed and the metal outlet boxes on the ends were not considered vapor safe so I got those too. They didn't have NSNs so we couldn't turn them in nor could anyone else have used them if we had. Supply HATES "Found on Base" timewaster shit and I don't blame them. Waste of money to process when it'll liquidate for pennies.
>>
>>1140138
Of all the things you posted, this is probably the most valuable. You could get a couple hundred for a honeywell 2 door controller and interface card. The uplink gsm is worthless, and those Lynx panels suck balls. The soldering gun is a neat find.
>>
>>1140122
My dad once founds a ton of electric dremels/drills in the dumbster because the owner thought they was broken but the problem was that they needed a oil/lube change
>>
File: 00K0K_4aDW45YhjQN_1200x900.jpg (79KB, 1200x625px) Image search: [Google]
00K0K_4aDW45YhjQN_1200x900.jpg
79KB, 1200x625px
I guess this would be a good place to ask about this
Found a peter wright anvil on craigslist and im gonna meet up with the guy soon, hes asking 1185 for it and if im not mistaken its 138 pounds.
Only thing is I think hes asking way to much for it and im a bit ignorant of the honest pricing for these things so I was wondering about what you guys think is a fair price?
>>
>>1143209
its probably only worth half as much from the research i did.

a brand new 120 lb anvil can be had for $600 usd.
>>
>>1142779
Intercom speaker is dated 2002. Telephones, 1999.
>>
my anvil cost 400, and it was 155lbs. that is way too much.
>>
just got into 18650 salvaging.
topped by the IT department of my school.
turns out they delivered some 200 laptop batteries for recycling 2 weeks ago :C

know any good places to look for laptop batteries?
>>
>>1143982
Check the dumpster behind computer/tech stores. Craigslist under the free section.
>>
>>1140122
What do you do with all of this dated tech?
>>
>>1144146
Teardown videos and salvage parts from some of them. Some stuff I reuse after cleaning. It depends what I find.
>>
>Thread save
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.