[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PWM control for a 3-pin fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: PWM to 3-pin.jpg (16KB, 465x339px) Image search: [Google]
PWM to 3-pin.jpg
16KB, 465x339px
I have a couple of 3-pin fans in my computer an I'm annoyed that they are always running at full speed as my Mainboard doesn't have voltage control.

After a bit of search I found this simple circuit that uses the motherboards PWM signal to switch the fan on/off using a MOSFET, which seems reasonable to me.

Simple enough, I could probably build that for 1-2€, but am I missing something here?

I mean what does this much more complex circuit [1] to instead, when the same thing could be achieved with only 3 parts?

[1] http://www.aquatuning.de/wasserkuehlung/ueberwachung/steuergeraete/20355/phobya-4pin-pwm-auf-3pin-transformer-single
>>
circuit [1] isn't that much more complicated. It just uses other parts and needs a smaler transistor to switch the mosfet also probably some filtering in there.
>>
>>1140057
well you could do it with 1 part, put a resistor in v+
>>
>>1140072
This. Make it a rheostat if you want speed control.
>>
>>1140072
>using resistors to control the voltage
literally nigger tier
>>
>>1140761
I felt ashamed to even post it, I'm not even sure how it works,I thought pc fans were brushless but I have fucking akasa case fans that have a speed switch that swaps in a resistor. Couldn't fucking believe it.
>>
>>1140057
circuit in [1] is a simple switchmode converter
also, they fucked up the footprint of the smaller transistor and had to rotate it, kek
>>
>>1140418
>rheostat

Its not fucking 1880 anymore, we use semiconductors now.
>>
>>1140057
555 timer. Astable configuration with a potentiometer for pwm control. Cheapest possible way of doing it that I can think of.

Of course, you're limited to control fan speed with an analog potentiometer. Otherwise get some shitty μcontroller or PIC so that you can control the pwm digitally.
>>
>>1142566
Not OP but in similiar situation. Can you link to an article or something explaining how to do this? I know next to nothing about electronics, only what the units represent and vaguely how/why the electrons move
>>
>>1143037
Not that guy but i wouldn't recommend that. A nig-rigged chopper circuit will do the job just fine
>>
>>1143105
My google skills must be horrible because I can only find schematics that have choppers in them, not how to make one or even what they look like. I would like manual speed control, I tried using a potentiometer but the fan in question doesn't work almost at all with voltages below what is specified on it (12v)
>>
>>1143297
see:
>>1142340
They talk about it needing inverted.
Here's a circuit similar to a motor driver I used(might be overkill) I'm unfamilliar with mosfets, so a mosfet may be a better solution.

output through 2.2k to 3906 PNP transistor base
3906 emitter to V+
3906 collecter through a 150+100 (2 used to keep power<1/4watt each) to TIP31 NPN base
TIP31 emitter to ground
fan from V+ to TIP31 collecter
also Diode reverse biased across the TIP31 E&C to kill high voltage motor spikes
>>
File: Chopper-Circuit.jpg (17KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
Chopper-Circuit.jpg
17KB, 480x357px
>>1143297
They look like this
The only thing you really need are a pulse generator, mosfet and a diode
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.