[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does any company even make a decent hand planer anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

My dad has an old porter cable planer like in the pic, and I've used it several times. I want to get one of comparable quality but it seems like the only thing anyone makes anymore is cheap plastic China trash.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a quality hand planer?
>>
>>1139945
Secondhand from antique stores or markets, in the US at least. There's a thread on at the moment about one.
>>
>>1139947
But I'm not talking about regular hand planes like in >>1139852

I mean power planers.
>>
>>1139945
So, you want a power planer? You probably won't find one with a metal body. Power tools started to go double insulated (plastic body) back in the 70's. Porter-Cable made some of the best power tools available back before they were bought out by Rockwell in 1960. Even the "Divison of Rockwell" P-C stuff was top of the line (not including the budget 'Green Line' tools). So, they will be hard to top with a modern tool.

The main issue is that no one uses them anymore. Trades rarely use them because most jobs that require them have gone away. Fuck, most of those tards can't even hang a door anymore. They just buy it pre-hung, throw some shims between the frame and the studs, drive a few nails and call it good.

Power planers are 'too new' for people that like to do things old school. They are all still using hand planes. So, it's not hard to find a good new hand plane (not cheap either), but at least they exist. For power planes you are basically stuck with buying a good used tool or hoping you got the 1 in 3 Chinesium shit shows that won't completely fail on you the second time you go to use it.
>>
>>1139945
plastic tools that have glass fiber filling can be as tough as cast aluminium FYI
>>
>>1139945
Not all are shit. Mine is glass reinforced nylon and its stronger then any diecast shit and half the weight. With a steel faceplate. And I build boats with it. Use it for scarf joints a lot.
>>
>>1139954
Tougher.
>>
>>1139945
>cheap plastic China trash.

I have a Makita with carbide blades I've used for years.
The cord is getting ragged but the tool is 'good-as-new"
>>
My Bosch is plastic but it kicks ass and the adjustment shows what fraction of an inch is being planed. Strange those Krauts designed around the SAE inch.
>>
>>1140103
Doesn't the bosch only take bosch-specific blades though? I don't want to get jewed by the eternal bosch...
>>
Go with a Makita planer.

Its the one I plane to buy when my 3 1/4" one is too small for timber frame construction.

8 3/4" or 12 1.4" ones
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.