[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

clear coating a cob wall?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0701.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0701.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
hello /diy

I have stripped all the paint of a few walls in my underground workshop (basement)
there are a few small areas that need re pointing with sand and cement.
my question is what can I use to seal the wall once I have finished the cement work.
Every time I come down here the wall has dropped a load of dust all over the desks. I need to coat the wall in something clear and I guess a little water proof as It can get slightly damp down here.

all i can think of is a few coats of watered down PVA glue.
What do you recommend lads?
thanks
>>
Firstly, that ain't a fucking cob wall. Cob is mud, straw, hair and shit. That there is a stone wall.

Now, sealing that cunt:

PVA or silicon waterproofing will do it, but think hard before you do. Walls should breathe and both will, if liberally applied, cause issues later (damp behind for example).

However, if it's just the mortar flaking, then a bit of pva should bind it in - just don't go mad.

The stone doesn't matter - varnish would give it a nice finish, that stuff looks quite hard so shouldn't be causing dust.

As far as re-pointing, make sure it's cement mortar, not lime based. Don't mix the two.
>>
>>1139670
ok thanks. a bunch
we already have a bit of damp that makes the paint flakey and not adhere to the plaster, kind of salty on the other side of this wall, above ground in the kitchen.
the damp patches appear to line up with where the pointing is missing. Its effectively mud in a few places... hopefully a re point will solve this??

in regards to breathing, do you recommend i just PVA the render/pointing? there a 3 more walls just like this that are external walls - would they be able to take up the slack in terms of breathing issues?

thanks for your response mate
>>
>>1139670
sorry me again..

or would chipping out the old flakey render and repointing most of the wall be a better option?
>>
If there's a lot of damage, then repointing is the best way to go - but like I say, make sure it's not lime mortar first. (It's much softer - google for comparisons).

You can mix pva in with the cement if you do, that'll prevent it going dusty.

BTW, salt on the wall is efflourescence - caused by dampness.
>>
>>1139691
ok thanks for the advice lad.
nice one
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.