[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternatives for window AC in garage space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: window-ac.jpg (38KB, 289x324px) Image search: [Google]
window-ac.jpg
38KB, 289x324px
S FL here. Have a window AC unit that I use to cool / dehumidfy my 20x20 attached garage. City has asked me to remove it; window / through wall AC are code restricted in my city come to find out.

Unit's around 8,000 BTU and barely keeps up in summer, but it's enough for getting garage comfortable enough in summer... if I need to replace with fixed unit, I'd probably go ~12,000 BTU which is closer to proper size.

I've considered pulling the unit inside garage and making a sheet metal "shroud" to the window. This would allow AC to dump hot air outside, and would make unit flush to window. I'd paint outside condensor flat black and put a screen over it. I've room to do this in garage. Main concern is that city would just write it up again.

Any other options I should consider?
>>
1) Move far away from where you currently reside.
2) Get a heat pump, far more efficient to run.
>>
>>1139631
Naw, I dig S FL, though agree out in country this particular thing would not be an issue.

Looks like I need a mini-split system, which is just a tiny version of what cools the house.
>>
what happens if you dont do anything?
>>
>>1139624
These regulations are really getting out of hand
>>
>>1139633
yeah just get a ductless mini split. im sure lots of people pump them in for super cheap down there.
>>
>>1139624
Ductless mini-split if you have room for the outdoor condenser. this should keep the city off your back.
>>
>>1139624
portable indoor a/c unit. self contained and you just have to put in the window adapter to vent to outside. these come in 1kbtu.
>>
>>1139635
I will get a $150 fine.

>>1139637
Neighborhood codes. Pretty standard stuff; what's irritating is that it's not documented anywhere.
>>
>>1139667
I've yet to see one large enough for my space... all I've seen are 5000 btu or less.
>>
>>1139688
a fine from who? the city?

if it isn't documented anywhere, then tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>1139692
Clarification: the city has provided the architectural guidelines on my request... My irritation is that they aren't posted anywhere you can find them on city site, so I was surprised.
>>
>>1139624
>AC are code restricted in my city come to find out.

Find out who came up with this bullshit and gently place a lead casting next to his abdullah oblongata.
>>
>>1139698
I would fight the fine in court. Sounds like a tax on being poor.
>>
Move somewhere sane holy shit
A ban on window AC units? In Florida of all places?
>>
>>1139732
Only get fined if I don't remove unit. I will remove it bc last thing I need is city watchdogging my house.

To be clear AC units are ok... just not window, and just not my particular city.
>>
>>1139752
>just not window
what specifically about them?
it looks ghetto?
too many idiots drop them?

I don't see how there could be an issue if you did rig something up inside and made it discreet
>>
Are you even trying to find a portable AC unit with 12000 BTUs?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SoleusAir-12-000-BTU-115V-Portable-Evaporative-Air-Conditioner-with-LCD-Remote-Control/198200423?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1129&adid=22222222228051464656&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=152470297141&wl4=pla-264496343485&wl5=9012307&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562632&wl11=online&wl12=198200423&wl13=&veh=sem
>>
>>1139789
... that's perfect... another with 14000 btu.

Why couldn't I find these last year...
>>
>>1139774
Guaranteed it's a looks ghetto issue. Technically you need to submit house colors here before painting...this stuff fell by wayside during recession but expect they're back at it now that all the abandoned places are occupied again.
>>
>>1139624
One thing they cannot ban is a giant TV antenna... Seems like a fair trade off :3 it will piss off the bitch that complained.
>>
Why not build a box around the sides of the unit and put on some matching siding/paint? It would look way better and they'll probably leave you alone.
>>
>>1139752
>not my particular city.
What communist hellhole are you doing time in?
>>
>>1139974
Eh, won't matter in the long run. Outside of the panhandle Florida is flat as a board and but 2.5 inches above sea level. This dude's whole town will be under water by 2030. I say we just give all the wingnuts free land down there and then sell it to Cuba for a dollar. Kill three birds with one stone.
>>
>>
>>1139624
Tell the faggot city you ate not their punching bag
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.