[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

House improvments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

i bought for me and my family recently a house, a quite big one but old and mainly wood.
There is 2 apartments on the upper floor (i live in one and one is rented out).
I would like to build a third apartment on the bottom floor, where is now more or less just garage and storage places.

Now the problem is that the house itself is very noisy, i assume that its from the old insulation?
If i walk upstairs or even dare to pull something over the ground, its too loud to live downstairs!
So what do i do?
Rip the ceiling down and replace old isolation against a better one?
Ripping up the floor on the top floor is not an option!
Pic related
>>
>>1139544
carpets go a long way towards noise prevention.
do you have bare wood floors upstairs?

soundproofing relies on air not being able to move between walls.
this means really packing tight insulation into the walls or ceiling and filling any gaps, i.e. where pipes run between rooms or laying board under floorboards to seal the gaps.

then you have vibrational noise, you can somewhat limit this by limiting the contact area of your boards to joists. you can achieve this using metal runners.

I'm no way an expert but have watched a fair few videos on recording studios.
there are tons of videos on youtube and they all seem to be to do with air flow and vibration.

hopefully another anon can tell you more.
good luck
>>
>>1139544
>>1139570

oh and you can use fire board or even sound board rather than plaster board.
im not sure which has more density out of the fire and the sound but the denser it is the better.
although it will make it harder to fit the boards as they are damn heavy
>>
>>1139544
>Rip the ceiling down and replace old isolation against a better one?
this, use a sound deadening insulation such as quiet batt, or roxul
>>
>>1139602

Prob the best way to go. You cant get silence by magic. Rip the floor, fill with rockwool/glasswool (eurogay here) and make it good. Dont pack it tight but leave no empty pockets behind possible water, elecricity etc lines either
>>
>>1139570
pic related is my floor
i will never really get it airtight, its around 100 years old.

>>1139602
you might have link for said stuff? im not sure if i can get the same stuff here in europe

>>1139618
you mean the ceiling? floor must stay intakt.
>>
>>1139720
of course i forgot pic
>>
>>1139720
have you started to remove the ceiling downstairs? do you know what is in there?
take some pics when you do
>>
>>1139747
no i havent, its still in use as guestroom and office. (at least the rooms in question for renting out).

But there is a wierd hole in the ceiling going up to my sleeping room, ill take a pic of this so you can see whats in there.

pic related
its some yellow insulation, on top my Wood floor and on the bottom its old gips sheets
>>
>>1139544
When concrete floors are impossible, one would use a large amount of drywall (5 sheets maybe) in the 1st floor ceiling.

What kind of area is that? I bet that first floor could make for a better retail space than apartment.
>>
>>1139756
looks to be a old vent opening for either a heater or fireplace. Check it out to the end with a camera on a stick. If nothing important needs fixing/access to like a electric/gas panel or pipes. Seal it up from top to bottom.

As for the floors making too much noise when walking/moving things. Pry up the floor boards, replace/install fire/electrical rated insulation boards, and put rubber matting/insulation inbetween the floor boards and any wood surface they come in contact with. Reinforce every joint you can with metal joint brackets(will strengthen the floors too) don't forget to do the same rubber layers for those. Now your floor will hopefully be both more insulated/sound proofed and just walking moving things will not cause such a ruckus. If pressed for money, use window gaskets for the floor joints/boards and spray in foam insulation(again fire rated) to deaden sound/make things better.
>>
>>1139879
f i would take up the floor boeards upstairs, i most likely never get the in so nice again, not possible to fix from the bottom floor?

>>1139831
back in the day it was a shop, you can still see the 2 big windows. i would love to have a Little shop, but here in the small village i live you cant really sell much... im open for ideas so
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.