[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help diagnosing a problem with my clutch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6061.jpg (99KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6061.jpg
99KB, 640x960px
So, my truck has been parked up all winter.
I start it every other week to keep the battery topped up but I dont move it.
The clutch was nice and crisp before I put it away.

Yesterday the weather was good enough for a drive.
But as I put my foot on the clutch while I was waiting for the glowplugs to heat up, my foot went right down to the floor.

There is no resistance in the clutch pedal whatsoever.
It does not feel soft or spongey. It feels like its not connected to anything except a small return spring.
At no point does it actually disengage and I cant get it in gear while the engine is on.

The pedal springs back easily though. It doesn't remain on the floor.

It feels like a cable snapped, but when I inspect the pedal, I see no cables.
Only a rod going into the top of what looks like a master cylinder so its obviously hydraulic not a mechanical system.
The master itself is somewhere outside the cabin and I can't locate it to inspect it properly at the moment.
I can also see a slave cylinder on the transmission as well.

I was not able to physically inspect either slave or master cylinders for oil residue.

The fluids in the brake reservoir were are a bit low so I topped it up.
No change. And also no air bubbles when pushing the pedal down or anything like that.

Any ideas?
>>
your reservoir should be on your firewall, check if it's low would be the first thing, you'll probably have to bleed it if it has an airlock.

best to check that for leaks before you do anything else, it's pretty much gonna be that..
>>
>>1139519
>my truck
that certainly narrows it down
>>
>>1139519

That reeks of a fluid leak in the clutch hydraulics. As has been pointed out, check the clutch reservoir. If it's empty, odds are you had a leak and it dumped all the fluid out.

Just hope it isn't like mine, where it's a "sealed assembly" and almost impossible to do anything with.
>>
>>1139532
That sounds horrible. All five cars I've owned with hydraulic clutches have developed a leak at some point. It's unconscionable to design a sealed clutch.

OP simply needs to bleed the clutch at the slave cylinder. Of course, you can just pump the hell out of it when you have a slow leak at the slave. That's all I did for my old Nissan pickup for years. I'd just top up the reservoir every 3 months after it went flat, and pump it back up.
>>
What they have said. I have worked on a lot of hyd in my life and it tends to leak in the cold. The system should be able to bleed itself fine after several goes at the clutch pedal though
>>
Sure the clutch plate hasn't rusted onto the flywheel? That's really common after it's been standing.

Rocking it violently back and forth can free it.
>>
>>1139671
>Sure the clutch plate hasn't rusted onto the flywheel?
I thought that made it almost impossible to push in the clutch pedal - not make it flop loosely.
>>
Im not OP but have a Clutch question too.
I have a 99 s10.

Occasionally, when the clutch is fully depressed it will grind and clunk when I put it into 1st or reverse.
Its just makes noise, it doesnt actually catch hard enough to jerk the vehicle.

My clutch engagement point is halfway through the long pedal stroke, its always fully depressed. Its not like I have a pedal with a really short stroke and im not depressing all the way. Happens randomly maybe once a week or so.

I only know how to change my oil/spark plugs and stuff, never really looked into much else. Where should I start to look?
>>
Well if you see the slave on the transmission then look around it for a bleeder. Open the said bleeder and keep it open till liquid gets out. You prolly have some air in. If you do this and the clutch is still soft, get the master out, you prolly have worn gaskets inside and they let the fluid pass them. They are easy to change usually.
>>
>>1139682
Usually when the transmission cranks when you put it in 1st or reverse it means you have a bad pressure plate. Or it may be some hydraulic problems. It depends on your car. Im not familiar with american cars so i cannot say for sure for your model.
>>
>>1139671
>>1139681
Nopeydopey.
My ducato no. 2 stands most of the time. If it goes into gear but the clutch doesn't release you need to start it with the first gear so that it starts moving. They you just keep the clutch depressed and try to loosen it by braking. The engine might stall several times and you need a downward slope so that you won't fuck up your battery and/or starter. Usually the clutch breaks loose. Then you need to slip the clutch to "sand" away the rust. And drive it more often. It keeps the clutch in a better condition....
>>
>>1139710
and during this time how does the clutch pedal feel compared to when it's operating normally?
>>
>>1139519
Look for fluid on the inside of your firewall may have to look under the carpet behind the clutch pedal
>>
>>1139684
Listen to this guy, OP. A bad seal doesn't always mean external leaks like some posters are suggesting.
>>
>>1139725
It feels normal. It's a 91 ducato (talento = RV).
>>
>>1139819
>It feels normal.
>>1139519
>There is no resistance in the clutch pedal whatsoever.

yep. sounds like the same problem to me
>>
This sounds like a hydraulic leak. At least you've access to the slave cylinder and maybe a bleed nipple. My slave cylinder is inside the housing of the gearbox near the thrust bearing and requires disassembly to access. All I'd be able to do is check levels, check hoses, check and bleed at the master cylinder and hope for the best. A really common failure on my particular car is for the gaskets to fail on the secondary cylinder and for it to start weeping fluid, though usually this is a gradual failure identified by constant slow fluid loss rather than complete failure of the clutch.

The car should still start in neutral even if the clutch is seized Are you able to manually shift the gearbox? On my car you can actuate the selector forks manually.
>>
>>1139519
rodents have eaten through your clutch hose.
>>
>>1139519
Specify your truck brand/type/year specifications first. check the clutch fluid. Can't do much without the info mate.
>>
>>1139829
You are aware that these are comments from two different people? You are, aren't you?
>>
>>1140101
>You are aware that these are comments from two different people? You are, aren't you?

Does it really matter?
They are both suggesting a rust-frozen clutch is OP's problem when the symptom is entirely different.
>>
>>1139519
Likely a failed seal in the slave cylinder. Unscrew it from the bellhousing and have an accomplice depress the clutch pedal while you watch for fluid spraying out.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.