[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blacksmithing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: forge.jpg (66KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
forge.jpg
66KB, 800x539px
So I'm looking for some simple and fun forging projects. I've done a bottle opener i've made some roses and a pair of sub-par railroad spike knives. Does anyone have any suggestions for projects to help me improve my skills without being bored out of my mind.
>>
>>1139468
hammer or tongs. would be a good next step.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.jpg (40KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
40KB, 480x270px
>>1139468
clean that fucking anvil surface jesus christ
i don't even smith and even i know to wipe that scale off periodically
>>
>>1139470
do you have a good info-graphic or vid for tong making? it's a project I've wanted to try but didn't want to waste time and material fucking up till i get it right.

>>1139474
it's a stock photo i pulled off google but yea that anvil needs a sweep and a little TLC with a welder on the edges
>>
>>1139476
http://www.blksmth.com/tong_article.htm
literally the first result to "making tongs"

yw guy
>>
>>1139476
http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=jd_tongs/demo

Twist Tongs are the easiest to do. But you'll eventually want to do some other methods which will make more versatile tongs. Tongs are actually a great project because you'll be practicing isolation and drawing out. One thing I recommend is while you are working tongs is not to forge each half of the tong all the way through separately but instead forge one section on one half, then forge the same thing on the other half that way you can match them against eachother and they won't deviate too far from one another.
>>
Make some tavern puzzles.
>>
>>1139468
A froe
>>
File: DSCN01372.jpg (3MB, 3710x2325px)
DSCN01372.jpg
3MB, 3710x2325px
Hello I made pickaroons. They work
>>
>>1139882
ok, cool. but here is the blacksmithing here?
looks liek you cut a pipe, bent it oval then welded cut steel onto it.
>>
>>1139468
I'm trying to figure out how to cut a foot or 2 of train track without getting caught
>>
>>1139468
my god that dust on that anvil is triggering, might as well forge the scale and shit right into the steel!
>>
>>1139468
Ironwork pot plant holders, stands and the like are pretty easy to make-sell, women go nuts for them.
>>
>>1139944
yea it could done by taking flat bar shaping the hook/bill/whatever-it's-called then wrap it around a form to create the eye and forge weld it
>>
always wonder how the damascus steel was made
>>
>>1139468
Try a hot dog fork.
>>
>>1139955

Go to the nearest railway office and just ask them. Typically they will sell you a section for a low price so they have a record of it and you don't get in trouble.
>>
>>1139988
All it is is layers of steels folded x amount of times until you have the correct number of layers.
>>
>>1139988

Wootz ore turned into steel. There were specific techniques that gave damascus steel it's unique look and improved strength, but after the one mine that had that particular ore with that specific set of impurities ran out the techniques stopped being passed down, as they just did not work anymore.

Damascus steel is a meme metal, so you'll find lots of false information about it, but dig around and you'll find some actual historians that have written all about it.
>>
>>1139988
not blacksmith at all but isnt todays damascus steel just a buzzword describing the layered steel with the unique look and has nothing to do with the original steel from damascus
>>
>>1140566
"damascus" has been used to describe pattern-welded steel gun barrels since at least the late 17th century.

its hardly a modern thing
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.