[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

drum trap update

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: drum_trap-cut_open-20170303.png (1MB, 1011x763px) Image search: [Google]
drum_trap-cut_open-20170303.png
1MB, 1011x763px
Hey /diy/, I got some solid advice here recently on how to open a lead drum trap.

>I tried torching, causing a massive flame leading me to chicken out
>cut off the sides
>fucked that up causing a leak already
>finally just cut the top off

It's clear now there was a 1" bronze cap threading onto bronze. Maybe by grinding the sides of the remaining part of the cap I could save the threads?

Anyway, I'm mostly back for advice because what I found was not at all what I was expecting. It looks like instead of a drum below, there's just a piece of pipe? My first thought was that the drum had filled up completely with sediment, but after a bit of scraping it does seem to be just pipe there. To one side I can stick a stick a bit deeper but maybe I'm just going further into pipe. To what I think to be the sewer side I can't stick that far, so there's at least a bit of asymmetry.

Any thoughts as to what I'm looking at? I have taken video from the hole, if that would help.
>>
File: drum_trap-inside-20170303.png (712KB, 852x853px) Image search: [Google]
drum_trap-inside-20170303.png
712KB, 852x853px
Inside view right after cutting it open. This is not deep at all. From the cut surface it's a little over 2.5". The water level is 7/8".
>>
To clarify, the aim was to fix clogged drains. I suspected the drum trap was the culprit, but... :/
>>
>>1139242
Looks like the perfect size for a plunger. Still you got some major work to do. Why didn't you start with a drain snake?
>>
>>1139248
>Why didn't you start with a drain snake?
Because I'd heard they could easily rupture the sides of old lead pipes/traps and I'd have to rent/buy one. Also I thought if I figured out how to open it, it would mean no more future hassle when things clogged up. So lack of experience and reversed priorities probably :(

Will try plunging.
>>
>>1139248
>Still you got some major work to do.
What makes you say that? Does that mean this is what a drum trap should look like? I can't *see* the problem in these pictures myself...

Plunging doesn't seem to do much. When there's a bit of water in the pipes, it gets it out, but that's about it. I plunged the bath before and a lot of junk came out, but not so much anymore.
>>
Sure it's not stopped up in the yard?
If it's more than one drain, check the yard first.

If it's one drain, use a toilet auger

If that is a toilet flange, its just a bend attached to a tee or sanitee with vent up and drain down. The toilet itself is the trap for toilets.

If it's all drains but it's not in the yard, find a cleanout at the back of the house if it's a slab.
If conventional with crawlspace, you have cleanouts under the house, you'd have to go into the biggest one.

You can run a sink machine through a sink drain connection at the wall after removing the trap that is under the sink.
It's a bitch to get any snake to go down a toilet hole, drop heads sometimes help though.
-And as long as you are running a small snake with an arrowhead, small coil, or drophead, you are ok even with a 1/2 drum machine.

You can chisel out the lead, its soft. then you can pry the inner fitting out. make 2 cuts along the inside of each side of that brass if you want to save time.
You can stuff a trashbag filled with an old tshirt just barely below the floor if you are worried about dropping things into the drain.
REMOVE bag after work is done!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.