[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm off the Grid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: cms1020.png (14KB, 422x359px) Image search: [Google]
cms1020.png
14KB, 422x359px
Just rented a cabin off the Oregon coast. The owner is interested in selling it to me, but he wants to see if I'll keep it clean and provide the upkeep needed to the property.

That being said, I need help on maintaining a certain standard of living for myself, my wife, and my kids. The cabin comes with a couple of generators, and a water heater that runs on propane. Our water is a gravity system that come from a nearby creak. Is there another option besides generator to at least keep the fridge running and lights on? I really don't want to pay out the ass in gasoline for the generator, and that shit gets loud. Any machinery I need to invest in?

Of course tv and game system is a wanted luxury, but it's not necessary. money isn't a problem. But I prefer to keep it as cheap as possible.
>>
>>1139064
Solar panels and battery.
>>
>>1139072
On that note, there is a basic solar panel setup there, but it's not fixed yet. I think they got used power cells and built a makeshift one.

Now, what id like to do is get a power pack inverter to use. Maybe use it for the fridge and lights, and keep it charged using the generator. would there be an issue keeping the power pack running constantly, and charging it as needed with a generator?
>>
>>1139072
yep

not necessarily cheap, but better than using gas

depending the are some small wind turbines might be useful
>>
Solar panels are be the best idea if they stay clean and there's enough sunlight.
>>
>>1139064
Generally propane is the cheapest way to run a fridge.
>>
Make wife and kids pedal stationary bikes to provide your power
>>
>>1139081

Usually inverters include a special input for a generator, is very common to use them as backup source.
>>
Is a geothermal well an option? It can provide your heating for "free" and contribute towards your electrical needs too.
>>
>>1139169
It's an option, but not needed. It has a wood stove for heat.

>>1139140
This was actually a thought I already had. Not only as a source of power,and but as a form of punishment.
>>
>>1139152
Yes, but would the inverter battery be able to handle staying on indefinitely? Id like to have a constant/ semi constant power supply for the fridge, and just charge the inverter with the generator while it's still active. Will this damage the battery eventually?
>>
>>1139064
>The owner is interested in selling it to me, but he wants to see if I'll keep it clean and provide the upkeep needed to the property.

If you buy it, you can do with it what you want. Tear it down and put in a trailer park even. Everyone knows this. He is wanting you to do free work for him. Don't. Anything you do to the property like installing permanent things, you need to be paid for the parts and labor. Not in trade, in actual money.
>>
>>1139188
No, not free work. I'm being charged 300 a month in rent, and he's paying me for the more labor intensive work that's needed. General upkeep is on me though. He's hesitant to sell it because he originally planned on it being his own personal getaway spot, but he has made a mess of it. There's lumber everywhere.

I think he just wants to make sure it goes to the right person.
>>
>>1139190
That's stupid. People disappoint me with their stupid attachments to things they're going to get rid of anyway.
>>
>>1139064
Enjoy turning your kids into weirdos
>>
>>1139345
Like father, like son
>>
>>1139190
Hooe you got more than a handshake agreement.

If not

He's going to wait til you clean it up, "decide" he wants to keep, bump your rent up since you won't be working on ot as much, and hope you can't keep up or just get tired of paying that much.
>>
I have visited a couple of places off the grid..
Google Cold Creek Nevada
>>
>>1139350
this is exactly whats going to happen. landlord is chumping you.
>>
>>1139091
depending on where you are, Wind and water might be a better source of power than solar.
>>
>>1139350
No, I got a contract and agreement for renting the property. But to be honest, even if he doesn't sell it to me, I'm not losing anything. I'm still getting paid for the work done and materials used.

And bump my rent up? I doubt it, but even if he doubled it in still making out like a bandit. No electric, water, or gas bill, and its still a fracrion of the rent i we paying in California.
>>
>>1139064

You can solar, even if solaring during the day w/o batteries and not opening the fridge at night will decrease your gas bill quite a bit.
>>
>>1139187

Solar deep cycle batteries are prepared basically to nearly fully charge and discharge cycles with no damage using even a cheap charge and discharge controller, normal car lead batteries will be damaged if used like that specially if you un them dry on a daily basis.

Household solar installations are prepared to run non stop, if there's no power in the batteries the inverter will cut the power to protect the batteries, and if is a good one can start the generator by himself, the only question is "I will have enough Kw/h to keep the frdge running trough the night".

Also, which type of batteries are you planning to use?
>>
>>1139190
I think you are being taken for a ride
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.