[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making most as efficient LED lights as possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: grow-led-8166.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
grow-led-8166.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
I am planning to make own LED light setup.
What interests me the most is efficiency.
230V 50Hz installation
Highest efficiency possible is what interests me, so LED will be driven with 10-20mA current max and voltage will need stabilization. No transformer, just long chain of LED, might even lengthen chain and use internal diode resistance instead of resistor (known, yet rarely practiced method 70-100 LED chain surely does have some resistance)
Should I replace diode bridge with MOSFET switch? and how to stabilize voltage enough to prevent pulsing, replace cap with something else? use choke instead of resistor?
Or there is other way I have not thought of using? like chain of LEDs directly, instead of diode bridge? however I have no idea how to stop pulsation in this case.
>>
>>1138718
Use a constant current driver like a normal person?
>>
>>1138718
If you are planning on just using led for bud growth you will be very sad.
>>
>>8716103 (OP)
>just long chain of LED

http://www.ledsupply.com/blog/wiring-leds-correctly-series-parallel-circuits-explained/

You really need to hook them in Parallel or at the very least groups of Series-Parallel. A bunch of lights in Series can result in thermal runnaway as well has a few lights hogging all the power from the others.
>>
>>1138791
kek wiring up LED in series without resistor or without careful LED voltage drop selection is suicide!
and in long series chain voltage will be distributed evenly between parts and current most likely controlled by resistor in the end
also there will be thousands of tiny 0.06W lights, hard to get thermal runaway with this scenario
>>
>>1138804
> I have this all figured out. Don't try to change my mind.
>>
File: Mains.gif (17KB, 979x599px) Image search: [Google]
Mains.gif
17KB, 979x599px
>>1138718
Did you consider getting back to school ?
or at least cutting Skunk consumption ? ?

Efficient ? NEW CREE XLAMP is about 60% Energy to Heat.
This is efficiency, normal ones about 50% but that's really good.
20mA per diode .. that's giving about 6,4 W per string of 107 diodes. I'v used 3.0 V as LED voltage but that may wary Red a closer to 2,4V Blue to 3,6V .
20mA at 3V giving about 0.06W ... Typical LED used in lights is a 1W - 3W.
To get decent output of lets say 300W of energy you will need almost 600W consumption 300W will be dump as heat.
to reach this you will end up connecting about 10.000 LED diodes, in your case 107 diode string 10,700 diodes in 1000 strings .. LOL

Calculating at 320V after Bridge and stored on Capacitor ( 230V is a median RMS [ square root of maximum 325 Peak Voltage] )
LED used in grow a tuned to some freq .. I will not get into discussion about magical PAR ... and other Red Neck Theory's about that , there 5 Main Freq of spectrum where absorption and metabolic response is.
But if you asking that trivial question as this .. its a waste of my time to explain what is chlorophyll metabolism types of it etc.
Go to E-bay buy yourself cheap light ... at least you may avoid electrocuting yourself
>>
>>1138959
Rekt
>>
File: p.jpg (23KB, 921x606px) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
23KB, 921x606px
>>1138959
> 230V is a median RMS [ square root of maximum 325 Peak Voltage]
>>
>>1138718
doesn't produce enough lumens, you're better off with cfls and metal halides for growth, high pressure sodium for flowering. But last time I gew was 2008 ish so it could have changed since then.
>>
>>1139268
lumens are completely irrelevant in terms of plant growth. what is important is photon emission measured in moles per square meter per second and in that department the right kind of leds (~470 nanometer and ~560 nanometer wavelengths) literally beat the shit out of oldschool lighting solutions
>>
>>1139273
*µmoles
>>
File: Chlorophyll_ab_spectra_(cs).png (17KB, 640x505px) Image search: [Google]
Chlorophyll_ab_spectra_(cs).png
17KB, 640x505px
>>1139273
470nm is way to High .. 440- 460 everything higher is waste.. 560 .. is to low .. 630 to 670 nm .
take a look on chlorophyll absorption graph .. If you doing thinks do it right..
>>
File: DE_TEST_2.jpg (158KB, 680x366px) Image search: [Google]
DE_TEST_2.jpg
158KB, 680x366px
>>1139327
And that to compare what HPS producing ...

Most of photons produced by it is wasted, and 80% energy is any way dump as Heat.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.