[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK, hear me out /diy/, I just got a roomba and it blows my mind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: images (6).jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
4KB, 259x194px
OK, hear me out /diy/, I just got a roomba and it blows my mind how much housework it saved me.

It really made me think how many other menial tasks robots could save me and I thought, fuck me I hate watering the garden. Even with irrigation, which you have to spend a decent amount of cash setting up and your own time/someone else's time to dig in and sort out the programming, it still takes time and effort.

So I thought 'why not have a roomba-like robot with a tank of water and a fucking sprinkler on it that goes around watering the garden and lawns. Basically one unit would comprise of

>Slow but robust carriage mechanism that can crawl over small rocks and shit
>Small water tank
>Sprinkler
>Sensors

So it can learn the layout of your garden and sprinkle as needed. Fuck you could even give it a little aerial that goes up with another sprinkler to get high level plants and it can learn your garden layout and you can point out pot plants and shit to it.

Then when it runs out of water/power, it goes back to a docking station where it recharges and fills with water. The dock station would just need a mains connection and a hose into it.

Thoughts? Any engineers can put a word in about the feasibility? I mean fuck they already have a mopping robot, how different can it be?
>>
Water is insanely heavy.

Also it's much cheaper to buy a garden hose and poke some holes in it.
>>
>>1138604
It might be heavy, but it can't be too hard to figure out a reasonable balance of weight and recharge time. Obviously a garden hose with holes is cheap, but this is 0 fucking work, especially if you have a complicated garden.
>>
>>1138600
You're trying to solve a simple problem with a complex solution. There's no need for a robot to drive around watering your plants. Too many mechanical parts that don't fair well outside, and water and electric parts don't mix. Why not just run a bunch of garden hoses on the top of each row and poke holes in them. Hook them all up to a faucet and design a robot to turn on the faucet every few days
>>
>>1138608
It'll be running back and forth every minute. It takes a lot of water to maintain a lawn and a garden. You'll also need to find a way to generate pressure (again, water is damn heavy) for any plants above the water line.

It'll be cheaper to hire mexicans to water your lawn, or do it yourself like everyone else.
>>
>>1138611
What about a drone? Then the water level will always be higher than the soil.
>>
>>1138612
A drone is way more complex and would use an outrageous amount of power to keep that much water airborne.
>>
>>1138600
why not just a pressure washer head mounted to a 360 turret and it will water the whole place from a single spot

wait that already exists
>>
File: DripHose.jpg (1MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DripHose.jpg
1MB, 3072x2048px
>>1138600
Robots are cool and all, but I think you're really over-complicating a simple problem. I grew up on a farm and we just had drip hoses running through our plant beds. We could even hook up a tank of fertilizer to them. Very cheap and simple. If you want a project that involves some programming and electronics control them with solenoid valves.
>>
>>1138619
I did exactly this. For the price of a case of beer, I got programmed PLC from my cousin all the other gewgaws I needed. Fun project desu and outside of replacing a cracked box I haven't had to touch it in like 3 years.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzOMUgxHrY

Why not use water pressure to run the machine vs complicated electronics? Why not have the machine follow the path of a laid out hose vs complex machine learning?
>>
>>1138622
>complicated
>complex
So that I have something to tinker with.
If I want something simple and working, there's always >>1138619.
>>
>>1138600
Made a remote control lawn mower.

Hard to drive and since the remote runs on 2.4ghz id have to buy an exoensive camera system to mow from my lazy boy and stare at the tv.

Gutted a roomba and tricked the frankenmower into essentially thinking it was sweeping my flloor when in reality it was a kamakazy bladed deach machine that ran out into the street or got high centered non stop.

Finally broke down and got a riding mower...

Tore the motor off and doubled battery life and also motor power. Its too havy to pick up now but with manual override u can drive it up onto a trailer.

Made it and auto driveway blade.

Using audumower software and sight i choped a hole in my garage so it has a doghouse. It comes outside twice a night for 2 hours and just aimlessly wonders up and down the driveway draging a rake and blade to keep my driveway level.

Short of a few big sinkholes i need to fix my shits perfect.

Dont have any pics atm. New phone and my brother in law had to try it out.
>>
>>1138613
But they have 400 shit drones that auto run a path and land ona charge pad. No reason it couldnt auto fill also. Seen heavy lifter pick up people...

Expensive and pointless yes. But u also would have footage of your plants and can soray pesticides if u want or adjust the watering
>>
>what is a sprinkler system

This is what I hate about /diy/. Half this board is kids who've never been out in the world. They have a thought while taking a shit and run to post here thinking they've come up with a revolutionary idea to change the world.

Fuck you OP.
>>
>>1138684
OP here. I built two houses while holding down a full time job over the course of two years. I can count the number of days off over those two years on two hands. You can get fucked.
>>
>>1138600
A timer, water source and surgical tubing will do all this. No need to over complicate shit with robots

Besides, your robot slave army will never fill that void in your heart
>>
Why not have a drone, like the size of a predator drone? And have it fire water missiles at your garden.

This seems like the simplest solution.
>>
>>1138768
Did you pour the foundation with drones?
>>
>>1138600
What is a sprinkler lol
>>
>>1138800
Kek

>>1138854
I wish, doing foundations fucking sucks.
>>
>>1138612
this was going to be my capstone project. look up farmbot n quit being an ass.
>>
OK OP here, I have another idea. What about a small drone that has a hose going into it, it flies above your garden and sprays it. You just program in a pattern so the hose doesn't get stuck and you're away.
>>
>>1138610
this this a thousand times this
robots are cool as fuck but there are some applications that they'd just be silly for
>>
>>1138610
>Automated mops
>Automated vacuums
>Automated kids toys
Automated lawn mowers
>THIS IS TOO MUCH

You know it would sell like hotcakes at home depot.

A 4 wheeled automatron that just waters plants? Hell, set boundaries by opto and have it water everything with height sensing and color sensing. Park in a charger that has a solenoid that fills the tank on charging.
>>
>>1138924
This guy gets it.
>>
>>1138600
why not design a robot that can seed clouds directly over your garden and create rain when you need it?
>>
I use Rachio to automate the sprinkler system.
Works like a charm, even for drip zones.

You left off the kittylitterbox cleaning robot.
Now that I could use.
>>
>>1138924
OP doesn't want a lawn mower. He wants a gardener. It's called an irrigation hose with an automated timer.
>>
>>1138972
You are dead right anon. What I want is a garden slave. Since I can't have a gimp or a Mexican to water my shit I at least want a fucking robot.
>>
>>1138968
https://youtu.be/EOsMIIMRAQ8

That fucking cat shitter looks fancier than my beatup corolla
>>
>>1138972
What OP wants, and what Home Depot gardeners want is a robot that their neighbors don't have. For the same reason people claw their way into AT&T to get the phone with a model number featuring the next ascending integer than what they currently have, people would buy this device.

Let's be real; you're correct. It's dumb. It could literally be a motorized cart that randomly sprays water, but it's still 'muh snowflake robot.'

Cheap 'robovacs' do something similar.
>Forward,engage vacuum
>Obstructed, turn 45 degrees
>Obstructed, turn 45 degrees
>Forward, engage vacuum
>>
>>1139175
10/10 would poop in it
>>
>>1139180
You honestly think a 100lb water-laden robot randomly wheeling it's way over every square inch of vegetation is what gardeners want?
>>
>>1139329
>Gardeners don't make paths in their garden

Anon, I....
>>
File: catto.jpg (564KB, 2008x1468px) Image search: [Google]
catto.jpg
564KB, 2008x1468px
>>1139175
They go away for a week? Guess the cat likes lots of dry food and toilet water. My C@ only likes wet food but can make it through a couple of days with dry. Plus you have to have a McMansion to hold that dang thing.
>>
What other menial chores could be handed off to a robot?
>>
>>1139339
What does a path have to do with anything? Roombas don't use paths. They do this:

>>Forward,engage vacuum
>>Obstructed, turn 45 degrees
>>Obstructed, turn 45 degrees
>>Forward, engage vacuum
>>
>>1138600
I need a robot that picks up dog shit. I'm sure it's possible and talk about a million dollar idea...
>>
>>1139716
M8 now you're talking.
>>
There already are computer controlled watering systems for gardens, no need to make it more complicated.
>>
>>1139716
Shutup and take my money
>>
>>1138924
automated lawn mowers exist and sell like hotcakes. the problem is that people steal them
>>
Okay I'll pretend this is not retarded [spoiler]and pretend I'm not retarded[/spoiler]
Gotta start somewhere so here we go. Point out the flaws for me.

Basic stuff
>it should not be too big that becomes unpratical to have it neither too small that will have to be refilled every 10 sec. maybe 0.5 to 3 times the size of a gasoline lawnmower?(idunno)
>battery for circuits, water deployment and locomotion, because gasoline will be expensive in long term, nuclear will be expensive in short term, besides being too heavy
>it should not be too heavy to the point of killing the grass where it steps. If necessary use additional wheels to distribute pressure. Like a truck or a train if gets too big (if it's the case imma call this the "splashy choo choo Project)

What do you guys think of raspberryPI?
We could just put a thin, unobstrusive black line on the grass to give it a path, add a sprinkler, a waterpump, adapt the circuits to a bigger load, a cart and some gear to make it plug itself/self recharge at the end/start.
>>
>>1138600
two problems:
- water is too heavy
- you dont water your lawn just by passing the water machine around, you actually have to soak the ground, It will consume all the tank in minutes and you will get tired of filling it over and over
>>
>>1138608
Good idea but impractical
>>
>>1138612

A drone filled with water? Water is heavy as fuck. Just plan your garden out that its easy to irrigate.
>>
>>1138600
>tape hose to bottom of drone
>have it fly over your garden once a day
>make sure nozzle is pointing straight down so drone doesn't overbalance

Voila, you have your overly expensive and needlessly complicated alternative to running a hose through your flowerbeds.
>>
>>1142715
>Voila, you have your overly expensive and needlessly complicated hose with angry spinning blades at the end of it flopping around the ground.

FTFY
>>
>>1142729
>what are gyroscopes
>what are kill switches
>>
>>1142739
The beast is too angry. Your attempts to kill it have only fueled its insatiable rage for blood.
>>
>>1138600

Now you're talking, but lugging around water is inefficient

>roomba like machine
>attach garden host to machine with a mechanism that gives slack and retracts so the robot doesnt get tangled in it
>spray attachment at a desired level 90° from direction
>drive by plants with cool jets of life giving water

It could be complicated organising the hose mechanism but with a little work at the start one could have a lightweight water drive by machine. Probably not too practical but thats why I just water my garden when it needs it.
>>
This post man...it really goes beyond being a lazy fuck
>>
>>1138600
Why not just divert your waste-water into pipes that will water your garden?
>>
>>1138600
You should embrace the tiny amount of physical labor you can still do, instead you want to obtain the same level idle leisure as royalty but without the high-cultured activities. You are scum. I hope you choke on your cheetos and cheese dip you chillaxing piece of shit.
>>
>>1138600
OP is a roomba shill
>>
I want a tiny robot that patrols uteri and does abortions.

I'll call it Woomba.
>>
>>1138608
It'll either kill the battery from so much back-and-forth or be as big as the curosity rover just to carry enough water
>>
>>1146795
KEK!
underrated
>>
>>1138924
Add in stuff like this.
>>
>>1139716
Just have a robot that shoots dogs on sight. Problem solved. Make one for cats too.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.