[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently bought a new window ac and getting a bit frustrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: window-air-conditioner.jpg (52KB, 579x425px) Image search: [Google]
window-air-conditioner.jpg
52KB, 579x425px
Recently bought a new window ac and getting a bit frustrated with the noise it makes. The sound doesn't seem to be indicative of a problem with the unit, as far as I can tell its the proper amount of sound to expect, but its still annoying to listen to all day.

I was wondering if it would be possible/advisable to attempt to dampen the sound by hiding the unit behind some kind of screen? I'm concerned that doing so will either reduce the effectiveness of the unit's cooling or be too thin to make a noticeable effect on the sound.

Any advice?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 224x172px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 224x172px
>>1138302
Would putting rubber feet under it help to quiet it down?
>>
>>1138312
No, the noise isn't coming from vibration, its the fan and air flow. Just a powerful wind-noise, nothing mechanical.

Currently found a hilariously ghetto solution of putting two chair backs to either side of it with bathroom towels draped over them, so that the noise is dampened to the sides (where we sit) but not directly in front of it (where the cold air is directed into the room).

Look ridiculous but did make the noise better.
>>
Turn selector switch for HIGH-COOL to LOW-COOL
>>
>>1138302
>Any advice?

System of a Down. Turned up to eleven.
>>
>>1138435
while uncouth this solution does indeed work
>>
>>1138484
If it looks like OPs pic, Get that thick pink insulation foam board and some nice wall panel pattern board, glue the two together and cut to cover the two sides of the unit with them/over that expanding plastic window stuff. Then cut a larger "FACE" plate with several vented opeings for the air intake and a solid opening for the control/power cord and of course the actual cold air vent. Will cut sound down to almost nothing AND make it look good. Will also leave you with something that can be used on both sides of a window/closet/door etc for privacy and heat/cold retention.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.