[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with drawer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: Capture+_2017-03-01-02-41-35.png (547KB, 1439x1322px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-03-01-02-41-35.png
547KB, 1439x1322px
Hey guys, I am attempting to build a slide out tray for a 76 key midi keyboard and have a few questions about doing it.

I have a 1.5 inch thick beech table top, it's the gerton one from Ikea if that helps, it says it supports 100lbs but I'm sure it can support 150+.

Anyway, the keyboard is 45lbs and 47 inches wide plus 14 inches deep plus 6 inches high. It will fit under the table.

What I'm worried about is hot to actually build a drawer like this into a table top.

I have cut two pieces of wood that are long and tall enough to use as the sides but I'm not sure the best way to attach them. I bought some L type brackets to mount the sides under the table but should I use wood screws or would it be better to run bolts all the way through the top of the table?

Will 3/4 inch ply wood support a set of heavy duty side mount drawer slides with 50lbs of weight on them?

I hope this makes sense and someone can help. Even a link to a video where someone is doing something similar.

Here is a shitty drawing.
>>
>>1138131
>it says it supports 100lbs but I'm sure it can support 150+
"Supports x weight" means that you can safely put x weight on it and go about your business without having to worry about it collapsing. The safety factors for dynamic loading alone are substantial (that hundred pound object might apply a thousand or more as you set it on the table). That said, there are other considerations, and exceeding rated loads should be done with caution.

As for the drawer, this depends somewhat on aesthetic considerations. T nuts from the top bolted into steel L brackets on the shelf sides would be plenty strong, but they'd mar the tabletop (counterboring could get them flat though). Wood screws would be individually weaker, but this isn't a very demanding application. A screw at each corner should work so long as they're seated deeply in the table and everything is tight with no wobble. You might consider a panel along the back of the drawer supports to box it in and prevent flexing at the L brackets.

1/4" ply would be overkill for a 50lb load in that setup. 3/4" will be nice and solid
>>
>>1138143
thanks for the reply. The T-nut idea actually sounds good to me. I have a power drill that I could attempt to use for counterboring. I guess I could go pick up one of those drill guides to create a straight hole.

And just out of curiosity, If I did want to strengthen the weight bearing capacity of a table top, what would be the easiest way to do it?
>>
File: Captureu.jpg (17KB, 436x438px) Image search: [Google]
Captureu.jpg
17KB, 436x438px
I was just thinking.

I will just use a cheap corner brace as a jig for drilling straight holes.
>>
>>1138131
>L type brackets to mount the sides under the table - should I use wood screws
they're probably fine - give a pic or part number or both and how many you intend to use
>>1138131
>Will 3/4 inch ply wood support a set of heavy duty side mount drawer slides with 50lbs of weight on them?
It's only 25 pounds per slide so it should be fine>>1138131
>1.5 inch thick beech table top
You can safely use 1" or 1-1/4" screws to mount the brackets to the underside of the top without damaging the top surface.
>>
Thanks for the replies, I'm almost done. Now the question is how to attach the skeet to the drawer slides. I started a new thread but an answer here is fine too.

Do I use cross dowels or just screws to attach the piece of metal that goes into the drawer slide mounting hardware
>>
File: screwplug.jpg (13KB, 432x323px) Image search: [Google]
screwplug.jpg
13KB, 432x323px
I think I'm going to use cross dowels like in this image.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.