[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

solid state relay question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: $_1.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
Hey /diy/!

I'm a coder with little experience in circuitry and I've got a question. I'm building a relatively simple circuit in which I need to use a solid state relay. Pic related is the one I got, except mine is rated 40A.

If I pass a current through the top that's below 24 volts, what happens? Anything adverse? (Poor conduction?)

Second post will be my circuit, if any of you want some context. Thanks in advance!
>>
File: IMG_20170228_174646229.jpg (825KB, 1000x935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170228_174646229.jpg
825KB, 1000x935px
It's a subpar diagram to put it lightly, but it will work for my purposes.

CCS is a cycle control switch, by the way
>>
>>1138036
It will work with AC only.
>>
>>1138036
Your SSR is for AC which means it's probably SCR based. You need a DC switching SSR which would be FET based.

If you were trying to switch AC below 24 volts the SCR's would never trigger thus the SSR would not conduct.
>>
Note that the chinese SSRs are almost all fake and will catch fire if run at anywhere near their rated current.

I wouldn't put more than 5A though a 40A chinese SSR.
>>
>>1138030
Chinese SSR are rated as twice as much it can actually handle.
So, don't use it with more than 20a

Also, AC SSR only triggers at the beggining of the wave. So it has to start or cross 0V
>>
>>1138091
>Also, AC SSR only triggers at the beggining of the wave. So it has to start or cross 0V
No they don't. An SCR can fire at any non-zero point in the waveform but can only unlatch at zero (when there is no current flow). Maybe that's what you're thinking. That's how SCR based AC dimmers work. They chop the front of the waveform off.
>>
>>1138036
Just use a electomechanical relay.
>>
>>1138099
Thread
>>
>>1138099
or a big mosfet, trigger it with an opto if you need isolation
>>
>>1138099
Isn't there a higher switching delay with EM relays? Also a risk of arcing with high amperage?
>>
>>1138248
You've got a motor in the circuit and you're worried about switching noise?
>>
>>1138252
Not noise. Delay. And damage to the contacts from arcing.

This is a controller circuit for airsoft, and based on my battery and motor, I'm guessing I'm going to hit at least 30rps, meaning 1 round every 30ish ms.

The code on the duino makes it select fire and the CCS needs to be able to shut off the motor with as little delay possible. My code shouldn't be an issue here. I'm worried about the actual shutoff delay of the em relay
>>
>>1138254
I've worked with SSRs and you need a resistor across the input to help with the turn off delay. Some of them have tons more delay than an EMR.
>>
>>1138256
Huh. What's the lifetime on the mechanical relays? Is arcing going to be as much of an issue as I'm making it to be, or am I retarded?

Also, do they make em relays in a small enough form factor that I could actually fit it inside my shell?
>>
>>1138262
don't forget a flyback diode on the relay or you will fry any chips/arduinos when the relay switches off.
>>
>>1138098
Zero-cross turn-on is a common feature in SSRs. Zero-cross turn-off is a byproduct of using TRIACs or SCRs, like you said.

>>1138262
Depends on relay, but 100000 cycles at full (resistive) load would be quite typical. Inductive loads like motors can shorten the life significantly, but with proper arc suppression (snubbers, varistors) the difference to resistive loads isn't that big.
>>
>>1138036
Is this a picture of a screen?...

And you are a "coder"?
>>
>>1138360
Yes and yes.

I'm a software developer. With a CS degree.

And it's a picture of a screen because the company I work for are fascists about copying files to external media or emailing to outside addresses.

Also 4Chan is blocked so I'm on mobile. Fight me.
>>
>>1138360
Go back to /g/.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.