[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: welding.jpg (212KB, 1129x729px) Image search: [Google]
welding.jpg
212KB, 1129x729px
Totally effed up and posted this in /Out/. Was not well recieved, Lol. I guess this is the place for this discussion. Any welders on here? I'm interested in it as a hobby and have a few questions.

1) Is it fun?
2) What can you do/make with your skills?
3) How dangerous is it?
4) How dangerous is it to do drunk?
5)What the hell is mig welding?
6) Is this the proper hobby that could eventually lead to black smithing?

If Welding is too crazy and dangerous, I might just take up wood working. Even though that is pretty dangerous too. I hope I'm not too retarded to do these fun, hands on activities.
>>
Nice try, Satan
>>
>still doesn't know blacksmith is one word, not two
>oh yeah, this will go well
>>
1) it can be
2) i can't really make shit, i just fix shit
3) mostly depends on the materials you're working with
4) go fuck yourself
5) metal inert gas
6) no
>>
1. depends on the person. some hate it some love it.
2. everything
3. if the fumes dont fuck ya, the grinders will
4. 1-2 drinks dont harm. more than that and you'll either fuck up your welds or yourself as said above.
5. point gun at place you want to weld and you threaten it to become welded. bitch to setup if noob thou.
6. no. if you want to blacksmith. you should do blacksmithing as a hobby, not welding.
>>
1. No, it's not fun. It's work
2. Money
3. You will get burned. Welders generally don't live long
4. Mig (gmaw) is a process where a metal wire is feed through the cable in your hand and makes a weld. Google it for more detailed explanation.
5. No

Its not crazy or dangerous. You'll be able to make shitty welds in a couple hours of trying. It'll take more time to get good at it. Look into Tig if you're serous about it.
>>
>>1137405
>6) Is this the proper hobby that could eventually lead to black smithing?
you start with pottery then research metallurgy
>>
>>1137405
it's called google you lazy fuck.
>>
>>1137405
journeyman welder here...6 years total experience
1) depends on the job, i've only had a few jobs that i actually really enjoyed doing, (specifically, ones where the boss wasn't over my shoulder the whole time, and Tig jobs are fun In my opinion...
2) i can weld everything from mild carbon steels, Stainless (Austinetic and ferretic), aluminium, High carbon steels, IE: cast irons..(mostly brazing), i can make more or less anything with a blueprint, but i like to be given a "wing it" type of deal. also i really enjoy doing metal art, such as flowers, and other things like that.
3. Depends on the job, industrial settings in the field, can get pretty dangerous,- (H2S gas, in the oil industry), -obviously getting burned, but you get used to that, -Welders flash, (Make sure to wear 100% UV safety glasses),- the fumes are also bad, USE A FUCKING SMOKE EATER, USE A FUCKING RESPIRATOR!!!
Even a p100 pancake filter will do, trust me, you're be thanking yourself later on in life that you wore one. - Electrical shock, especially when you are doing HF TIG(High frequency) welding aluminium for example. if not grounded properly can give a shock, same as being inside of a metal room, welding the floors, the walls ect, can get you a shock, especially if you're sweating.
4. Very, i wouldn't do it drunk or high, unless you're doing the same god damn repetitive task over and over and over.
5. Mig welding (METAL INERT GAS) also known as GMAW (Gas metal arc welding) is one of the easiest and faster ways of welding, its a wire feed process that has 3 transfer methods, (1.Short circuit, think of the arc starting and stopping very rapidly, 2. Globular, think of gobs of metal being taken off the wire, this means a higher deposit rate and more penetration. 3. Spray transfer, Basically the metal filler wire. "1/2"))
>>
>>1137405
>>1137515
5. part 2... the third transfer of MIG welding is spray transfer, Which is the fastest, and hottest way's of welding MIG, the metal filler wire basically spray's off the end of the wire, onto the parent materials, BUT requires a 90% MINIMUM argon/c02 mix (Normally you'd only need a 75% argon 25% c02 mix for Short circuit and Globular.) mig is a good place to start, but you should learn the appropriate WPS (Wire Per second) or AMPS and corresponding Voltage, the ideal Amp/Volt ratio differs from machine to machine, and what you want is to hear a "hissing" or "bacon sizzle" noise. look on the inside cover of your wire feeder for that machines info, and recommended ratio. Again a great place to start, but the gas cylinders, and moving parts, can make it difficult to trouble shoot if you are new to welding. if you're just getting started, i'd recommend stick welding, just for the sake of simplicity.
6.) If you interested in black smithing, become a blacksmith, you wont be doing much in the way of that as a welder, however during my apprenticeship i learned quite a bit about metallurgy, and different compositions of metal, and what makes it soft, malleable, vs. hard and brittle. ect. which could be a way to get into it i suppose.

Just remember this, if you go into wood working, Wood is A LOT less forgiving, if i fuck up with metal, (accidentally cut into a piece, ect. i weld it back together. you can't do that with wood.
>>
>>1137405
>1) Is it fun?
Yes.
>2) What can you do/make with your skills?
Weld and fit steels and aluminum. Would like to get into fancier metals eventually but gotta start building experience in the basics.
>3) How dangerous is it?
Let's say I don't expect to live past 70.
>4) How dangerous is it to do drunk?
I guess it depends on what kind of drunk you are. Pretty sure I'd be able to make more or less acceptable but wobbly welds.
>5)What the hell is mig welding?
Glue gun but for metal.
>6) Is this the proper hobby that could eventually lead to black smithing?
Not really. It helps to know how to weld for some blacksmithing jobs but they're two different animals.

>>1137472
>1. No, it's not fun. It's work
what the hell is wrong with you
>>
File: IMG_1830.jpg (42KB, 425x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1830.jpg
42KB, 425x400px
Aluminum is one of the hardest metals to weld. It requires a high frequency machine and you can make some big bucks if you learn to do it. Although it can be a challenge, don't let that distract you from the fact that in 1998 The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
>>
>>1137405
So I took blacksmithing in high school, and spent three weeks working in a production forge for my senior project. Welding is not going to lead to blacksmithing, but it is an essential skill if you're going to be forging. You don't have to be able to lay down picture perfect TIG beads, but you will need to be able to make decent welds in order to build tools and jigs
>>
Looking at getting my first welder - Hobart 210 for $800.

Pros? Cons?
>>
OP here, thanks for the responses, I enjoy this discussion and all of the input. There is something admirable about man manipulating his environment
>>
>>1137589
Have the same one and no issues. Easy to setup and chart on the door is pretty good to get you started. Only real complaints would be that the gun is only 10ft combined with a short power cord
>>
>>1137405
1. It can be alright i guess. Never really had proper tools or equipment. I hate sweating and grew up doing fucking headstands in the dirt and mud without auto dark helmat trying to weld rusty shit. So i have a bad tast in my mouth from it even though i dont mind most shit. Kinda like working on your car. Its not bad putting a blower on it for fun but pulling the tranny after it blows sucks ass. In both cases yar working on a car.
2. Most welders will say anything. With a cutting torch, a welder, enough metal u can do anything...
3. Its not real dangerous. Try and stay out of water and not touch shit often bare handed. Aside from grabbing hot shit the only real danger is being in a tight area and the welder shocking or grabbing u. Alone it can be dangerous. But i have welded in waste deep watter and been shocked 200 times. Its unpleasent but hurts about half as much as being shocked by 110. Dont know anyone thats been seriously hurt from it.
4. Not sure. Been drunk when not at work for 15 years and did okay. But at that level of alchaholism i was pretty much more normal drunk than sober.
5. Mig welding is god of welding. Dont bother with a cheap pos mig welder from harbor frieght. Iflve had several. After 19 years of stick welding my bro got a $2500 mig welder. Used it to fix my exhaust and put back 399 bucks towards one that next payday. Itll spoil you.
6. I guess? I mean, ive never really had it as a hobby but i have built a few forges and foundries. If u want to blacksmith i highly suggest finding you a small propane forge and railriad track piece instead of welding to get to that.

Just skip welding as u mostly dont need it. Currently anvil hunting...
>>
OP, if you wan't to do blacksmithing do blacksmithing, not welding
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.