[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are snap on tools ever worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

And why the hell do they cost 10 times what normal brands cost?
>>
>>1137379
nigger it's got wheels.

it probably comes with a chafferer to drive you around with.
>>
>>1137379
>And why the hell do they cost 10 times what normal brands cost?

They use high quality materials while paying a living wage to Americans in American factories while at the same time having a lifetime warranty.

You pay out the ass so that they dont go out like Craftsman has.
Raw materials go up?
Stricter EPA guidelines making manufacturing go up?
High taxes with wages going up?

You can start cutting corners on your manufacturing or materials.
You can straight up send your manufacturing over to china
You can remove the warranty.

Or you can just keep yourself as a premium brand and raise the cost of your tools.

Dont like it? Buy chinese wrenches made in a sweatshop. Itll turn a bolt
>>
>>1137400
funny thing is I broke more SnapOn tools than I ever did shit from Harbor Freight. At least HF shit brook cause I took them over the limit, SnapOn shit broke in the dumbest fucking places.
2 ratchet ratches had the little selector knob break
Pliers come apart
Plastic handle come off screw drivers
>>
>>1137400
plenty of their tools are made in China now. the metal is basically the same as any other tool mental from any decent brand. pretty much every brand also has a lifetime warranty now. Snap On is nothing more then a name and they have only survived by fucking over mechanics and government contracts
>>
>>1137400
>>>1137379 (OP)
>>And why the hell do they cost 10 times what normal brands cost?
>They use high quality materials while paying a living wage to Americans in American factories while at the same time having a lifetime warranty.
Lol no

Some /diy/ greybeard from a while back noted they used to work for snap-on

Apparently for the cabinets they used to use Stanley steel (no relation) before they went under. And Stanley steel moved to China before going under, so snap-on began importing the Chinese steel already cut and bent, then they would paint and assemble the tool cabinets in shop.

Harbor freight actually began using Stanley steel in this interim period from the Chinese plant for their general pro line, except they just sent the steel to another plant down the road for the assembly

When Stanley steel went under a Chinese steel company bought the plant and contacts and some companies pulled out from the plant, but snap-on and harbor freight both continued with the new steel plant

So no, your $20,000 tool cabinet is made in the same factory as harbor freight general pro cabinets. The only difference is place of assembly and the logo
>>
>>1137379

They're not better than Knipex
>>
>>1137379
>10 times what normal brands cost
Well these days "normal" brands are made in China. Snap-on USA-made stuff is definitely not 10x the price of other USA-made stuff, although it can still be 2-3x the price compared to companies like SK, Channellock, etc.

>>1137419
Pretty much all stuff that Snap-on ever made themselves is still made by themselves in the USA. Some stuff is rebranded and foreign-made, but they're honest about the COO on the website.

>>1137421
They couldn't legally mark their toolboxes as "Made in USA" if they use Chinese steel to make them, so if they're doing that, they're breaking federal law.
>>
I've got a few snap on tools. I like them. After you get used to using their 1/4" 72 tooth ratchet it's hard to go back to anything else.

The best thing I bought off the truck tho is the set of tap sockets. They don't have any name branding on them but I haven't seen them anywhere else beside the snap on truck. They are a must have imo because you can fit into places where a regular tap wrench wouldn't.
>>
>>1137425
there's a shit load of ways to get around the laws of slapping "made in wherever" on something. the easiest and most common way is to simply assemble something in whatever country you want to say it was made in. another very common way to is not only assemble but just use a few parts sourced from within that country while 90% of the rest if imported. really the only time it's actually hard to get around the laws is when it comes to food but even then there's ways around

as for Snap On you'd be surprised how much of their shit comes from China. a lot of the ratchets are made there now and it's become extremely common for someone to warranty a Made in USA tool only to end up with a replacement that says Made in China. when it comes to ratchets ALL of the gears and shit are from China even if the tool does say Made in USA
>>
>>1137427
The FTC is very clear that assembling something in the USA is not enough to call it "Made in USA". There is some subjectiveness however when it comes to raw materials being sourced from other countries.

According to Snap-on all of their ratchets are made in the USA, including all of the mechanisms. There was a period during which they were not stamped "USA" but they weren't stamped China either and Snap-on claimed they were always still 100% USA-made. They also reversed that decision and every new one is stamped USA again. Do you have any actual evidence to the contrary that you could share?
>>
>>1137425
>Snap-on USA-made stuff is definitely not 10x the price of other USA-made stuff

Basic example: a #2 hand screwdriver from snapon for $27. https://store.snapon.com/Square-Tip-Screwdrivers--2-Square-Drive-Red-Screwdriver-P737756.aspx

A similar Stanley screwdriver from Grainger, also made in USA for $2 https://www.grainger.com/product/3PY40?gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBGZL5jziuBkce_KviTTzbAdP-yTL-a2hnVALKmy_KSBoC26Lw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Screwdrivers%20and%20Nutdrivers-_-3PY40&AL!2966!3!166592952671!!!g!71852431879!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166592952671!!!g!71852431879!&ef_id=WI-27AAAAEuOw6-v:20170228013009:s
>>
>>1137430
and yet there's still a shit load of Chinese made products that say Made in USA.

complete bull shit from Snap On PR. the mechanisms actually come from Taiwan and China while the rest of the tool is still made in the US.
>>
>>1137400

Yes Yes the high price is because those low level grunts want $20 an hour. It has nothing to do with the top dogs raking in a combined $23,000,000 a year with the CEO making $10,000,000 of that.

The higher price of things is purely because they cant pay dumb button pushers $8 an hour!
>>
>>1137379
strap-on tools are used in Formula1 pitstops, amirite?
>>
>>1137433
> the mechanisms actually come from Taiwan and China while the rest of the tool is still made in the US.
Still curious to see the evidence...

I don't doubt that there's plenty of fraud when it comes to advertised COO. It might be foolish to assume that a company is honest, but it also seems silly to claim that they're dishonest without providing some sort of evidence.

I own very little Snap-on stuff personally, and the only thing I ever bought new at full price was my ratcheting screwdriver, which is such a joy to use that I regretted not buying it sooner. Aside from that I think the only Snap-on stuff I've bought are 1/4" socket sets, but I got them for like 1/6 of new price on eBay. I like their sockets because they have thinner walls and less chamfer than any other ones I've found. I don't think I'd consider paying full price for anything else.

>>1137431
That Snap-on is square drive, but that's really besides the point as I'm sure they get just as much for a #2 Phillips. The Williams branded ones are basically the same as the Snap-on hard handles but much cheaper and fantastic for the price. I do have doubts that the $2 Stanley is really any good though.
>>
>>1137430
>Do you have any actual evidence to the contrary that you could share?

Nobody does. Its literally just the Fox and the Grapes bitterness over people paying extra for a premium tool. Make up anecdotal and retarded shit to feel better about their own tools.

Where are all the people complaining that Acura/Lexus/Lincoln/Cadillacs exist?

>>1137431
Being made in the USA and being quality are two very different things.
Look at Bear and Son cutlery. It doesnt matter that its made in the USA, its complete fucking trash.

The guy that said
>Snap-on USA-made stuff is definitely not 10x the price of other USA-made stuff
Should have been more clear, its not 10x the price of other quality USA made premium tools.

Mac and Matco will run you the same price for their tools
>>
>>1137452
>Should have been more clear, its not 10x the price of other quality USA made premium tools.
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of things like ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc. You used to be able to get those USA made at 1/10 of Snap-on prices with Craftsman, but those are China now, and I can't think of any other USA options that are anywhere near that cheap. The only cheaper USA option left for that kind of stuff is SK, and it's more like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Snap-on, not 1/10.

Screwdrivers are kind of an exception because there are still some really cheap USA-made options, even if they are junk
>>
>>1137425
The cabinets are just stamped USA

they are not stamped made in USA, or even assembled in USA

Again, they do the painting and the assembly in the USA while the steel comes from China

Have you ever ordered steel from China? I know i have. The containers are stamped with origin and the very top sheet is labeled china with a grease stamp.
>>
File: 50-Cent-Workout-Routine.jpg (45KB, 878x842px) Image search: [Google]
50-Cent-Workout-Routine.jpg
45KB, 878x842px
>>1137379
What up, blood?
What up, cuz?
What up, blood?
What up, gangsta?
What up, blood?
What up, cuz?
What up, blood?
What up, gangsta?

They say I walk around like I got an S on my chest
Nah, that's a semi-auto, and a vest on my chest
I try not to say nothing, the DA might want to play in court
But I'll hunt a duck nigga down like it's a sport
Front on me, I'll cut you, gun-butt you or buck you
You getting money, I can't get none with ya, then fuck ya
I'm not the type to get knocked for D.W.I
I'm the type that'll kill your connect when the coke price rise
Gangstas, they bump my shit, them they know me
I grew up around some niggas that's not my homies
Hundred G's I stash it, the Mac I blast it
D's come we dump the diesel in battery acid
This flow's been mastered, the ice I flash it
Jux me, I'll have your mama picking out your casket, bastard
I'm on the next level, Breitling baguette bezel
Benz pedal to the metal, hotter than a tea kettle, blood
>>
I just wonder where the hell the money is going into making some of this shit. Like: https://store.snapon.com/KEXE603A1-Epiq-Roll-Cabs-Epiq-Extreme-Roll-Cab-with-Ecko-Remote-Locking-System-Stainless-Steel-Top-P887865.aspx

$25,090 for a fucking tool cabinet? It's just some stainless steel drawers! How the fuck does that cost so much? It's more than several new cars!
>>
>>1137457
It's been a while since I read through it, but I'm pretty sure the FTC law considers a simple "USA" mark to count the same as stating "Made in USA". If it's not at least mostly made in USA, it has to be labeled as Made in USA with global components, or foreign components, etc. That's where the subjectivity comes in, but the way the law is worded to me implies that making a toolbox out of Chinese steel would not legally be "Made in USA" and the company would have to add with global/foreign components to the label.

Again I'd be curious to see your evidence that Snap-on's toolboxes are made from Chinese steel. Even Waterloo claims that their toolboxes are made from USA steel, and those are even still marked as "with global components" because of other parts.
>>
>>1137461
Their toolbox prices are really hard to stomach.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced small used one for years without any luck. Just don't want to give in to the Chinese and buy a Harbor Freight 44.
>>
SNAP ON IS MADE FOR CONSIGNMENT
they also have p sick warranty, thats only if the asshole on the snapon truck still comes around to your shop

otherwise
>read snap-on flyer
>read matco flyer
>read princess auto flyer
>see litterally all the same tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Avcln--0u4

american channel "how its Made" sucks, i like the canadian how its made lady

>>1137426
i guy at my old work had a set of these, such a good set

>>1137467
i dont live in america,
but all day long at work, we make parts that say "MADE IN USA"

sometimes we make the same part but change the text to say "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" instead

i dont live there either
>>
>>1137461

Does anyone actually buy this kind of stuff?

I'm convinced these products are just marked that high for marketing and they don't actually sell them.

I bet they wouldn't even be able to fill an order without making one.
>>
>>1137484
>but all day long at work, we make parts that say "MADE IN USA"

>sometimes we make the same part but change the text to say "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" instead

>i dont live there either

Well that's disturbing. I understand if you can't say, but what do you make?
>>
>>1137485
If the toolbox thread on Garage Journal is anything to go by, many people do buy them.

They are often sold for lower prices than the full MSRP on the website, sometimes as low as half or so, but that's still a lot of money.
>>
>>1137487

Even a quarter of msrp is unrealistic

I can understand hand tools, which are subjected to hell on a job, but that are literally just tool boxes

Have you ever seen a stationary drawer tool box "fail"? It just sits there and holds tools.

One of the few pieces of harbor freight I own and it still looks new after almost 10 years of sitting there and holding my tools for $300
I don't understand how they get to that price for these or how those yards pay for it.
>>
>>1137488
Slides/bearings can fail, and thin drawers can warp from weight put into them. They're legitimate concerns, but that doesn't mean it will happen with all toolboxes cheaper than Snap-on.

HF toolboxes are known for being among the best Chinese boxes. The only reason I haven't bought one myself is that I try not to buy Chinese products if possible, but if I don't find something good used soon I might have to give in.
>>
>>1137486
>but what do you make?

Every hand tool you can imagine
>>
>>1137495
What brand?
>>
>>1137434
It actually is if you're fond of something called math.

Take whatever the CEO of snapon makes and figure out what kind of raise you could give the factory floor employees if you gave 100% of his money to them. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but id bet you my left nut it would be closer to $12/week, if not $12/month, than $12/hour like you implied.
>>
>>1137485
the average guy working in his garage doesn't buy them and if he does it's used. the tool trucks go around to mechanics and such where they will sell them tools and tool boxes. they are generally financed and Snap On actually does have a decent payment plan but that's also where they get you. basically the goal is to get you paying a few hundred every month for years or even decades and those expensive tool boxes will certainly last that long unless abused. each week the tool truck comes around and you'll exchange any broken tools for replacements plus buy a few more which are simply added to your tab.

really it's like anything else these days, you're expected to go into debt and pay interest. cash doesn't mean jack shit these days, ever buy a new car? they don't give a single fuck about cash and will give you a far better deal if you finance
>>
File: fzAdbAd[1].png (102KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
fzAdbAd[1].png
102KB, 630x630px
>>1137495
I'm looking for a decent copy of the Preston Type 3 or Type 4 router plane that doesn't cost $100+. Show me what you got.
>>
>>1137505
i also forgot to mention all the massive government contracts along with pretty much all industry involved with military contracts. i think we all know how little government gives a fuck when it comes to spending our money on dumb expensive shit
>>
>>1137503
You're pretty fucking close. After some quick googling, Snapon has ~11.5k employees that I found. Just leaving out the CEO that's like $16/week extra all employees would get.
>>
>>1137508
I worked in the federal government for several years. I saw zero Snap-On tools. While we did purchase tools that were only U.S. made, they were mostly brands you never heard of. None I had ever heard for either, for that matter. From what I understand they sell almost exclusively to the government and to other companies as contract work. Kind of like how Craftsman/Kobalt/Husky is just a brand and they hire another company to actually make the tools.

Basically, we got a catalog a few times a year and we could order out of it. The brands changed every now and then depending on who had won the last bid on the contract. Believe it or not, the price to us was not excessive. The days of the $12,000 hammer are long past. They were good quality and had a "no questions asked" return policies. Very handy when the mouth breather in supply couldn't read his own notes and ordered 120 sets of screwdrivers (960 total) instead of 20. All we had to pay was return shipping.
>>
>>1137512
Does snap-on trade publicly?

Often ceo's will give up traditional salary for stock options and often make MUCH more
>>
>>1137517
Yes they trade on NYSE under symbol SNA: https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ASNA&ei=OQe1WJnEOtSZmAHPg6yoBw
>>
>>1137512

So what you are saying is snap on has a CEO and 11,500 factory workers with no office jobs at all?
>>
>>1137486
autoparts

its what the customer wants
>>
>>1137379
Yes 100% of the time.

Soent my 31 years of life amassing a shop full of crastsman tools.

Crasftsman sells out.

Doesnt hold up to their lifetime warrenty now.

My sears credit card is useless and all my stores closed so i either buy walmart shit online or cancel and ding my credit...

Fuck my universe.

U really want raped buy some s-k shit.

Worth every penny but fuuuuug.
>>
>>1137426
Matco makes a 3/8 88 tooth... laughed my ass off at the $120 when the matco truck showed up at the shop. Changing an old 7.3 liter turbo. Matco guy goes "yall take them tranny bolts out yet?" Lol no retard we havent even got the drive shaft and linkage shit out of the way. *walks over to truck and throws a 3/8" tatchet and socket on it and hands it to me. Tosses one of those dvd screens with an led light and snake camera on the motor. Hands me the ratchet. Wtf ever.

1/10 of an inch of soace and i can see what im doing and wriggle that bolt out...

Handed him over 300 bucks on the spot and told him he was a hell of a salesman.

He said its pretty easy when the shit sells itself.

Litterally every penny of his check goes into his tool collection. He has a full mechanic shop and like 6 employees at his house...
>>
$30 walmart
>>
File: Screenshot_20170228-100539.png (549KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170228-100539.png
549KB, 1440x2560px
>>1137716
45 atwoods
>>
30 bucks walmart
>>
>>1137379
Even Wera, Wiha, Klein, Knipex, and other very high quality German or US brands are less expensive than Snap-On. And, IMO, often better quality.
>>
>>1137709
What? SK is way less expensive than Snap-On. Still expensive af, but less than Snap-On.
>>
>>1137718
Gave that as present to my dad a couple Christmas ago. Sturdy as fuck.

>all those notifications
That really messes with my ocd.
>>
>>1137391
>chafferer
yes, probably.
>>
>>1137379
the brand name thats all, also custome shit is custome shit
>>
>>1137434

reddit pls go back
>>
>thinking tools make the mechanic
>>
>>1137801
No, but they sure make a job a lot more pleasant.
>>
>>1137801
They sure as fuck can make it easier which also means faster. Getting a job done faster means you can now do more in a day so you can make more money.
>>
My friend has one hell of a nice tool collection.
I hooked 2 wrenches together for leverage
>don't do that anon, these are expensive tools
Really? What's the point?
Guess I need cheap tools for those extended capabilities.

I have some snap-on wrenches and they're nice and lighter than other wrenches have, but any ol' quality american made wrench will get er done.

Take pride in your work, not your tools that any idiot can buy.
>>
>>1137811
>>1137827

There is a difference between the right tool and the brand of the tool.

>>1137841

>Tfw hooked crescent spanners together hundreds of times and broke a shitty vise with a 22mm crescent spanner and 8 feet of 3inch schedule 40 pipe.

If those basic tools can stand up to caveman activities then what is the point of expensive shit you are afraid to use?
>>
>>1137861
>>1137841
if your going to spend the money on expensive snap on tools then you have no excuse for not having the right tool for the job and using a breaking bar or whatever else
>>
>>1137801
>thinking tools don't matter
you can be the best goddamn mechanic/machinist/whatever in the world but when your chinesium shit snaps or grenades while using it, its a fucking problem.

people who all buy snapon brand snapon are kinda dumb but hey, if they got the money, w/e
I only invest in tools I'm gonna use all the damn time and it serves me well.

>>1137865
>if you have good tools you cant use breaker bars
>REEEE LEVERAGE IS FOR POORFAGS
>>
File: img60070754.jpg (29KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
img60070754.jpg
29KB, 500x267px
>Are snap on tools ever worth it?

The answer to that is Yes. In case of one special product.
>>
>>1137738
Really? I thought it was the other way around.

Yrt 1 more reson to dickpunch myself for buying craftsman for 39 years
>>
>>1137908
>>if you have good tools you cant use breaker bars
>>REEEE LEVERAGE IS FOR POORFAGS

its more like,
only idiots use the wrong tool for the job (ie using cheater bar on ratchet ) and show a lack of respect for their equipment

its more like poor is a result of stupid
>>
>>1137865

Snap-On markets/sells breaker bars.
>>
>>1138487
yes and your dumb if you dont use it when the job calls for it
>>
>>1138492
>your dumb

Okay then..
>>
>>1138492
Guess I'll just wait until next Tuesday when Mike comes around with his truck so I can buy a 48" breaker bar since my 36" one can't put out enough torqueage. I'm sure this guy with the rusted to fuck subaru will wait 4 days so we can break a nut loose.
Or, just hand me the cheater bar.
>>
File: 1488251326867.jpg (54KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488251326867.jpg
54KB, 900x900px
>>1138504
>>
honestly snap-on offers nothing other major brands don't (sidchrome, kincrome, SP) just they are the only ones to advertise lifetime warranties. but yeah they are twice the price and truthfully often break easier. If you can find them try bluepoint (owned by snap-on but cheaper) or CAT tools. (snap-on without the stamp) or just buy stahwille (german) or sidchrome (all i use in an underground coal mine).
>>
>>1138097

You know, a lot of brands make ratcheting screwdrivers now-a-days. My lead has milwaukee. Its a pretty nice tool.
>>
>>1137412
2nd This
>>
>>1137531
What every one else does is kind of irrelevant unless you're trying to be an even larger communist.
>>
>>1138097
You can get one for under $10 at fucking Walmart
>>
>>1139363
yes but it wouldn't say Snap On on it. how in the fuck can i brag about my tools to everyone when it doesn't say Snap On?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.