[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

used milling machine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: $_84 (2).jpg (23KB, 374x498px) Image search: [Google]
$_84 (2).jpg
23KB, 374x498px
Hello my dudes, I'm on the verge of buying an old milling machine. What should I look at before buying it?
Pic related, the mill
>>
>>1137316
Youtube chan: AvE
>>
>>1137316
Hey some of us have tits, it's "dudette"
>>
I'd check if your domestic grid has enough power to run it first. Old machinery tends to be quite hungry.
>>
>>1137326
I have 380V at home so that's not a problem
>>
File: 1487545862593.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1487545862593.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>1137325
>claims to be a woman
this is the internet. you know the drill
>>
>>1137327

The fuck do you live?
>>
>>1137346
The Netherlands, why?
>>
>>1137330
>you know the drill
DeWalt or Makita ?
>>
Do you happen to live in Tilburg ?
Because I know exactly who you are.
>>
>>1137359
>Neitherlands
fucking consanguineous jergs
>>
>>1137316
>what should i look at before buying

what do you plan on doing with it
how many weeks pay is it worth to you
>>
>>1137316
ask if you can turn it on then autofeed crash the head hard in multiple axes
>>
Lonk

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/doe-het-zelf-en-verbouw/gereedschap-overige-machines/m1138744083-freesbank.html
>>
>>1137357
going to have to see pictures to know what type of tool to use.

REKT
>>
>>1137390
So now it's a /diy/ck rate thread ?
>>
This machine is only useful if you have a Zeiss universal measuring device nearby.
>>
>>1137316
OP on a machine that old the first thing i'd check out is the play in the ways. See if the gibbs still have adjustment or if they're at their limits. I'd bet that thing's saddle is looser than a $5 whore in Vegas. Then check the ball screw's threads for damage. Use a light and check the entire length of all three! Then the same thing for the liner slides. Bring a magbase dial indicator and check backlash. It'll let you know how much the ball bearings in the ball screw's have worn. Turn the collet by hand and note any sticky spots or bumps. Probably means the gearing has severely worn or busted teeth. Run the motor(s) if you have the option. Really a mill with a burn out motor but good tight ways would be worth 100x more than a mill with a good motor and worn ways.
>>
>>1137357
kek
>>
>>1137327
I don't think that that thing socks too much juice, it is just on e motor running, right?
But anyways, I have at home a 10A 380V outlet, but at my build site a 16A 380V outlet. My welder technically needs a 25A 380V outlet but it won't mind a 16A if you don't put it out to the MAX!

Anyway, the standards over here go from 16A->32A->64A probably more also but I haven't seen the plugs for bigger ever.

So to the point, finally. Check out that your three-phase system can give out the juice. Sometimes you can technically run a machine but the starting of the motor will be too much for your breakers. Big compressors come to mind...
>>
>>1137579
>>1137422
Thanks my dude(tte)s, these are the comments I was looking for
>>
Bring along someone who KNOWS these machines.
>>
>>1137316
Ziet er uit als een erg veelzijdige machine. Ook leuk setje extras dat erbij zit. Ik heb een dergelijke machine. Beste koop ooit, en mits alles werkt is alles beneden de 1500 een erg goede koop!
>>
>>1137674
unlikely but if it does have a high intial current draw you'll just need a D curve breaker on your board. also bring a mag base dial indicator, adjust the gibs to give about a thou play at each far end and then move it to the middle and check the max possible deflection,
>>
>>1137674
>>1137840
Also you can wire it either in a star or delta fashion. One of these draws less current (star?) but usually older motors are in delta (I might remember this wrong, feel free to correct).
There are certain thingies for sale that start the motor in star, then switch to delta. The current spike isn't that big then.
But these are details that can be found on the plate on the motor....
>>
>>1137349

Wondering why you'd have 3-phase 380V in a domestic setting.
>>
>>1139286
Because it's pretty normal in eurofag countries.
>>
>>1139289
>>1139286
I was just looking at my 3~ extension and it said 11kW. Most eurofags have 3~ in houses. It's really noice as you can use one extension and then have 3*16A schukos (or equivalent) taken out from that. And 3~ 32A isn't that uncommon, depends on your main breakers. That's 22kW. I have 25A main breakers so I only have 16A 3~.
>>
>>1137316
There are a lot of easy to do checks, but unless you are familiar with machine tools it will be hard to evaluate.

First thing I would do is turn the spindle by hand to see if the bearings are smooth.

Make sure the amount of force needed to move the table is similar across the entire travel. If the axis is loose in the middle and tight on the ends you know it is worn. A little bit of tightness at the ends is normal, but anything extreme and the ways are fucked.

If you are more experienced, put a dial indicator on the spindle taper to check for runout.

Also if any of the sliding surfaces are rusted the machine is probably fucked.
>>
File: metalocalypse dr rockso.jpg (34KB, 421x476px) Image search: [Google]
metalocalypse dr rockso.jpg
34KB, 421x476px
>>1139718

As much as the US did right with its infrastructure, split-phase 120V was a gay decision. I mean, it's not like it makes much of a difference for 99% of the population, but for the few it does...

>MFW I need $60 worth of 10AWG extension cable and a special outlet/plugs to run a 220A welder.
>>
the deal is almost done, but how the fuck am I supposed to move it?
>>
This mill is too old, unless you are paying super cheap and intent to make crappy things that require more no more than 0,5 millimeter precision.
>>
>>1141148
it's 750 euros and felt alright when I saw it
>>
It may do good work, but were you forbidden to post MAKE and MODEL in English in this English-speaking forum?

Now go to hobby machinist and machinist forums. Not here. If you didn't know, the internet is full of shitloads of hobby machining and vintage machining information.

Old mills are getting harder to find. 750 is reasonable for what I see but you REALLY need to get hooked into hobby/vintage machining forums. Some have archives of manuals and parts diagrams.

You will love having even a basic milling machine! It shits all over hobby grade ChiCom garbage. You can learn to compensate for a considerable amount of backlash using dial indicators.

While not large, that style is a very rigid design.

Youtube has many good manual machining videos well worth your time to view.

>This machine is only useful if you have a Zeiss universal measuring device nearby.

KYS fuck off leave now go shitpost elsewhere.
>>
>>1137579
A mill that little won't strain power available at most homes. Mills are surprisingly low horsepower. Much less than welding machines, of which I have several.
>>
>>1142705
Don't worry my m8 the Zeiss thing was a meme a friend of mine posted. It's personal
>>
>>1142899
try look on the auction sites, marktplaats is usually overpriced

this showed up on my radar.
https://www.bva-auctions.com/auction/lot/26261/8722140
25k is a steal
>>
https://www.bva-auctions.com/auction/lot/26239/8777958
this should be more for you though
>>
>>1142902
that looks more like a drill press with cross slide
>>
>>1142953
Except it isn't It's a compact mill like what Hardinge used to make. The design is surprisingly capable and rigid.
>>
>>1142902
yuge
>>
>>1139770
>220A welder
that's some serious current my man
>>
File: 1483873986556.jpg (64KB, 640x431px) Image search: [Google]
1483873986556.jpg
64KB, 640x431px
>>1137325
>Hey some of us have tits, it's "dudette"
no one gives a flying fuck if you bleed from the gash between your legs.
for all intensive purpose, all users online are either a-gender or men.
No Exceptions.

that being said.
i'm looking for a mill too but i'm a broke bloke.
>pity me
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.