[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water Heater problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

My pilot light went out this morning.

I tried to re-light it (it's gone out a couple times over the last year) and it wouldn't light. I didn't smell any gas either (I normally do).

After trying to light it over and over I finally smelled gas, but I don't think it was coming from the pilot. I looked around and noticed moisture next to the gas line connection to the water heater. I can still faintly smell gas but I tried lighting the air on fire so clearly it's not too bad of a leak.

Outside my house my gas line is very rusty and if I hold my nose over it for a few minutes I can usually get a faint gas smell, but it's been like this for a while.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1137105
Spray with soapy water and check for leaks
>>
>>1137105
>Outside my house my gas line is very rusty

Time to redo the whole thing, don't nigger this, call the gas company and let them fix it
>>
>>1137108
Tried this, no bubbles at the connection. I suspect the small leak may be inside the housing of the control box thing.

>>1137109
That's my plan (as long as they don't charge me).
>>
>>1137105
i doubt it's anything with the meter. water heater pilot light assemblies do go bad. water heaters don't last forever.
>I tried lighting the air on fire so clearly it's not too bad of a leak.
top kek.
>>
>>1137122
I believe the issue is in the pilot/burner control box.

BUT, I did pour soapy water on my outside gas pipe... lots and lots of bubbles, and it's been that way for a while. pic related. Getting it replaced today.

All that moist looking stuff is gas leaks.
>>
>>1137125
That shit is wreck 300%, call the gas company and tell them to fix it and tell them you can SEE and SMELL leaks, if you are in a first world country they should fix it fast and for free because if there is a explosion and you kill yourself, you can sue their ass off easy.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198KB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198KB, 1980x1080px
>>1137105
>I tried lighting the air on fire
>>
>>1137105
Check thermostat, replace.
>>
Thermocouple
it's what allows the gas to stay on while the pilot is burning. if the pilot goes out, the thermocouple gets cold and moves away from the valve actuator, stopping the gas from coming out unburned.
Burner or pilot tube may also be blocked somewhat

and, yeah looks like some of your gas lines need replacing.

Black steel pipe is not supposed to go in the ground or be covered in water regularly
>>
>>1137138
>thermostat

meant thermocoupler
>>
>>1137125
>Gas pipe touching dirt and not wrapped.
That pipe is fucked. Buried gas pipes are usually wrapped to protect against corrosion.
>>
>>1137737
None of them are wrapped in this area. They are coated with a black paint of some type, but not wrapped in any way.

There are 1000s of gas lines criss-crossing the are and yes, 100s of them are leaky. The companies argue about who owns what gasline and most don't know, but if you call the gas leak hotline and tell them about it, they will usually get to work on it within 2 weeks to fix it. It is different if it is inside a house, the fire department is called, but since most people DIY their stuff they call repair man or DIY it themselves since the gas company doesn't do anything beyond the gas meter. The gas company will come in and make sure your pilot lights are lit for you if they turn off the gas and turn it back on, but that's it.
>>
>>1137406
The thermocouple creates a small amount of electricity due to the expansion of 2 dissimilar metals. This energizes a coil that holds the main gas valve open via a electromagnetic. You need to turn the valve on the gas valve to pilot and press it in manually to allow gas to pass through and light the pilot. Once lit let the thermocouple heat up for 30 secs or so and release. Pilot should stay lit, Turn valve to on and burner should light. If pilot goes out after releasing the valve than you need to replace thermcouple
>>
>>1137105
>I tried lighting the air on fire
Don't you really mean >I tried to commit suicide, but that failed, now I gotta fix this
>>
>>1137105
>I can still faintly smell gas but I tried lighting the air on fire so clearly it's not too bad of a leak.

You could have livestreamed your attempted suicide you selfish prick.
>>
>>1137105
>I normally do
wut?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.