[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Attempt at DIY Armchair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: render_10929347801293.png (2MB, 3500x2160px) Image search: [Google]
render_10929347801293.png
2MB, 3500x2160px
Hello /diy/, I'm new to this board but thought I'd share something you guys might find interesting. I normally work as a mason and have barely done more than cut 2x4s and plywood with a circular saw or reciprocating saw yet I found great interest in building my own armchair after seeing how outrageously expensive they are in furniture stores.

Pic related was built with nothing but 5/8" plywood and 2x4s cut in half lengthwise all drilled together by drywall/decking screws.

It doesn't feel as comfortable as most chairs so I'm guessing I fucked up some dimensions but overall I'm kinda proud of what I made desu. It does the job though I know it could be improved which is why I came to this glorious board for help.

Anyway comments, tips, suggestions, and general feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>>
I would think it's uncomfortable because you made it out of fucking plywood.

Like you can't even pass that off as trendy hipster etsy pallet and pipe furniture, that just looks unpleasant.

I mean good on you m8 for building something you're proud of but maybe don't post about it here.
>>
>>1136944
why u try to reinvent the wheel?
>>
>>1136944
I'd maybe understand making a table, but you do realize a chair is supposed to support a human being?

Point being, a chair is generally expected to be more frail, have less material than a table, and support up to 240 pounds of flesh without shattering and causing grievous injury - unlike a table which will at most times not hold that much weight.

There is a reason why chairs are made in a particular way, and from particular materials, buddy.
>>
File: imige.jpg (415KB, 926x1076px) Image search: [Google]
imige.jpg
415KB, 926x1076px
>>1136944
>I normally work as a mason
then you shoulda made a thread about that

there are threads all the time that could benefit from specialized advice >>1136415

>>1136944
>It does the job though I know it could be improved
it's made out of plywood and 2x4s, you can't expect a whole lot

see image for a chair design with basically the same materials, plus cardboard from a book I just got
>>
>>1137321
>>1137328
>>1137332
Yeah well I only made this puppy with $3 worth of 2x4 and some scrap wood. No way I'm paying $100- $200 for a fucking armchair, I'll build it myself even if it kills me.

Anyway I would love advice on how to improve it because next thread will become a DIY tutorial since I can dance around with inkscape and gimp on my computer. My goal is to make a relatively simple and cheap armchair with around $20 worth material at most.

>>1137324
Because it's too fucking expensive to buy pre-built. An improved version of my chair would probably be more than enough for most people.
>>
Sorry forgot to mention my goal is function over form so I'm not too worried about how pretty it looks.
>>
>>1137341
>No way I'm paying $100- $200 for a fucking armchair, I'll build it myself even if it kills me.

no one should pay anywhere near that price for a simple chair.....go to a thrift store, habitat for humanity, or goodwill type place

you might have to re-finish it, but good solid items can be worth it

>>1137341
>My goal is to make a relatively simple and cheap armchair with around $20 worth material at most.
that's what I posted >>1137332

replace with the cardboard with plywood that has the edges rounded
>>
>>1137358
>no one should pay anywhere near that price for a simple chair.....go to a thrift store, habitat for humanity, or goodwill type place
I could do that but now I've grown too attached to the idea of making a DIY tutorial for a simple and cheap armchair now.

>that's what I posted >>1137332
>replace with the cardboard with plywood that has the edges rounded
Nah m8, I want to build an armchair not a simple chair. But I'll take your word on sanding down the edges, they look like a hazard if someone accidentally falls on them.
>>
>>1137363
so just cut of several arm pieces and screw them to the side

use something like this as a starting point for a plywood only chair: https://www.instructables.com/id/Kids-Activity-Chair-and-Table/?ALLSTEPS

or this one for just 2x4s: http://www.instructables.com/id/Adirondack-Style-Deck-Chair/?ALLSTEPS
>>
>>1137378
Thank you anon, for the info and not shooting down my dreams.

The second instructable seems the most helpful.
>>
>>1137383
as long as it's not for some BS anime story you're writing....yes, people sometimes come to 4chan to ask for advice, leading people to think they need actual help when they're really just writing some nonsense garbage

why, I have no idea....

>>1137383
>The second instructable seems the most helpful.
you might have to tweak the layout depending on the type of chair it's supposed to be, but it should be pretty doable...if you can rip the 2x4s down into 1x4s you'd have even more options
>>
last bump
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.