[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lockpick/locksmith thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: bobby pin lock picks.gif (917KB, 700x286px) Image search: [Google]
bobby pin lock picks.gif
917KB, 700x286px
Lockpick/locksmith general. Here's a good video on picking a standard pin-and-tumbler lock using bobby pins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuT_63Ioig

Anyone here into locksmithing or lockpicking? I used to go to a lockpicking club on occasion, but it dissolved right before I left the city. I had a lot of fun, though, and think that there's strong potential here for a tinkering hobby to keep me sane when I go back to school and back to the city and no longer have time or workshop space for larger projects.

Who makes a good set of picks available to a hobbyist? What's the current lockpicking community like? What should I be thinking about if I'm interested in delving more into the locksmithing side of things, whatever that should entail?
>>
Locksmith reporting in.

We rarely pick locks, though. Atleast modern Scandinavian locks are just too difficult to pick. No problem to pick bicycle locks. We use high speed grinders to remove the pins in the lock. Takes 2 minutes.
>>
>>1136740
>Locksmith reporting in.
What skills does your profession entail? How did you learn your trade?

>We rarely pick locks, though.
One of the lockpick club members was a safe cracker who had cornered the market on antique safes and vaults in the region because he actually cracked them instead of drilling a hole and ruining the piece of history like the lazy competition.
>>
>>1136719
never picked a lock in my life, buddy found a lock pick set that wasn't too different than your pic related... took me all of 30 seconds to unlock the double deadbolt to my house. scary shit honestly. I was aware of the tensioning technique prior to trying though. Now i have a latch bolt in addition to those.
>>
>>1136820
not op locksmith or a locksmith, but i was planning on doing it for my union and pick locks for fun.
the locksmith in my union basically said you have to know all manufacturers parts and what parts go where and what parts are a part of sets. Shit is easy though, mastering locks is a simple math equation that a 5th grader could do. If you are interested in going into this profession, look up bosnian bill for lockpicking and pick up a locksmithing book somewhere. It would also be a good idea to get a couple of catologs from major manufacturers, because you are going to have to remember a lot of parts, cant be looking shit up every 5 mins.
>>
>>1137418
>pick up a locksmithing book
Any specific recommendations?
>>
>>1137745
Look of Marc Tobias who an expert on picking high security locks and safes and Bill Phllips who is the author of many locksmithing books and physical security books. There are also a lot of free books and pamphlets all over the web. Google and youtube are your friend.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.