[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A/C questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Any a/c guys here? I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my 1999 unit.

I am out of state and renting out my house and my neighbor texted me the other day saying the unit is cycling... turning on and then kicking off repeatedly. Texted tenant and he is less descriptive but said it seems to be working.

Sent an a/c guy out there and he advised there is a refrigerant leak and the refrigerant needs to be replaced. But its the original unit from when the house was built in 1999 so it takes R22 refrigerant which is super expensive right now due to the EPA phasing it out or something.

So a/c guy gives me the following options:

"REPAIR OPTION 1
Leak Search. Add R-22 Refrigerant. Repair leak if possible: $1,220.00

REPAIR OPTION 2
Leak Search. Repair leak if possible. Remove R-22 per EPA requirements. Replace Refrigerant with R-22 Alternative. Add leak-stop additive if leak repair not possible: $990.00

Currently the bill for service is : $170.00 – we will waive this with acceptance of either repair option, or the replacement per attached quote."

At this point would it just be smarter to purchase a whole new unit? They say those things last 15 to 20 years and its about 18 years old now. How much should I expect to pay for a new unit and to have it installed? These Goodmans look pretty affordable.

Any help is appreciated. BTW the house is in Texas and the tenants were running the a/c when it was 65 degrees out instead of opening a window.
>>
>>1136251
get another estimate, don't commit to anything yet
>>
You can get r22 for $20 lb new. A typical 3 ton home system would be 10 - 12 lb of refrigerant. Even if totally empty it'd only take ~$200 in gas to charge. I don't want to call that guy out as trying to sell you a system but get another estimate.
>>
>>1136251
You're likely going to be better off replacing it. Make sure you get one with r134a.
>>
File: alut.jpg (89KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
alut.jpg
89KB, 1920x1080px
>>1136328
>r134a
That's an auto refrigerant. We use r410a in residential.
>>
>>1136301
>>1136305

Thanks. I think I will get someone else out there, thats a great idea.

If the second estimate does come in around $1,000, should I just bite the bullet and get a new system?
>>
>>1136336
After 18 years, chances are that repairs will soon outweigh a new system. New system may very well be more efficient as well. It might not save you money immediately, but it seems like a fair investment. Just weigh your options, play it as best you can, and if you get a better price then that's disco.
>>
>>1136449
How much should I expect to pay for an install of a new system? Will most a/c companies let me order it on my own and then install it for me or do they try to purchase it for you and mark it up?
>>
>>1136600
If Texas is like Ohio you can't buy a system. The manufactures won't sell you one. They only sell to authorized installers. AC is something that requires expensive equipment and knowledge to install. Not really a good thing for diying.

Here a new system would run ~3-5k. The biggest variable (the parts all being fixed cost) is labor of fitting the new coils to an existing furnace. If you don't have the needed clearances things go slow but, I think you'll be paying more. Here to find and fix an r22 leak we'd charge around ~$500 including gas so a new system for you could be 5-8k.

Whether you need a new system or not depends on the state of the current system. You should have one of the tech's go out and do an inspection. See how rusty or damaged the condenser is and what state the coil and line set are in. We service plenty of r22 systems that are 35+ years old running strong but again, we only use them 4 to 5 months out of the year.
>>
>>1136600
It's federally illegal to work on hvac equipment without certification. You should be able to find an installer that will do it for $5,000 or less.
>>
>>1136634
>federally illegal
citation needed.
>>
>>1136637
>>1136634
Its illegal to not properly recover refrigerant, you can buy recovery machines and do it yourself perfectly fine
>>
File: epa reg.png (33KB, 1041x339px) Image search: [Google]
epa reg.png
33KB, 1041x339px
>>1136634
>>1136637
>>1136641
https://www.epa.gov/section608/refrigerant-sales-restriction
>>
>>1136641
What if you are just cleaning it and accidentally on purpose fall over onto connection and it all vents?
Fuck the ozone, it's a myth.
>>
>>1136251

You A/C guy is correct about the R22, Thanks Al gore etc... The SEER number on it must be laughable and I would suggest you replace it with a more efficient unit.
The best thing you can do (electrically) is to get a heat pump, they're the most effecient A/C units and they can heat too. They're also tiny as fuck and aren't loud and don't hum. The only downside is their initial cost.
They use R410A refrigerant which will most likely never be banned since the EPA is in a bottleneck right now.

>>1136634
yeah...without a permit

>>1136641
"Ehahahahahaa" - t.every sole proprietary HVAC technician ever.
>>
>>1136634
>EPA
>2017

get real, like anything even happens. EPA doesn't have partyvans patrolling for people fixing their own AC units
>>
>>1136634

>OMG it's illegal guys

I know a lot of tradies who do work without the certification.

No one gives a shit.
>>
A 410A heatpump is your best bet. A heatpump is literally a regular A/C unit with a reversing valve.

Heatpumps are not efficient in low outside temperatures (under 40 degrees) which is why they are not popular up north. But they are basically the only real option down south (you only have like one week of cold temperatures).

R22 is being phased out in 2020
R410A is scheduled to be phased out around 2024

***If you noticed your supermarket getting renovations in the past year or so, its because they needed to upgrade their old refrigerators to ones that can accept new refrigerants.
>>
OP here with an update. I got a recommendation for a second a/c guy from a friend. He went out yesterday and explained the pressure level doesn't indicate a leak to him and he said the filters were dirty. This is interesting because the first tech saod the filters were fine. The tennant also said that the first tech who came out "didn't seem too happy that he had to drive out from" a town about 45 mins away. The second opinion a/c guy explained he believes all I need is for him to do a routine service and top off the refrigerant for $150.00.
>>
>>1137755
go for it - routine service if it includes coil cleaning is worth $150 and a fair price for it.
>>
>>1137755
That sounds right to me. Now comes the unpleasantness of having to call the first guy's boss and find out why he was trying to con you out of a grand. He basically came out and charged you $170 to misdiagnose a leak. I'd probably raise hell until they dropped that bill.
>>
>>1136251 you're keeping it right up the rectum no lube..... if the system has a leak all the refrigerant R22 will leak out not some. the filter that is clogged is called a filter drier. look it up it removes moisture and impurities from the system.
it should cost you about 200 to replace.
finally there are new refrigerants on the market that are called drop ins. it's cheap and mixes with R22 and gives no problem
>>
>>1137755
Refrigerant isn't like gasoline it should never need to be topped off. If you need to be "topped off" you have a leak and since it's R22 it's not worth fixing because 99% chance its in the evaporator coil or condenser coil and it's going to cost a fuck ton to repair. It's like you have a car with 200,000 miles on it and the transmission just went do you want to put in a new trans and hope the 200,000 mile engine doesn't go? No of course you don't, be smart get a new unit.
>>
>>1139451
continued
Also I see a bunch of idiots in this fucking thread that know nothing about HVAC.
>>1138750
OP said Filters not filter. A dirty filter would make a low suction pressure and probably make the first tech think refrigerant leak. The second tech screwed up by saying he needs to be topped off of refrigerant. No such thing as needing to be topped off if you're low on refrigerant it's because you have a leak or the tech blew a bunch of the refrigerant out.
>>
>>1139453
There is not such thing as a perfect seal or a perfect vacuum. An HVAC system will always leak. There is nothing you can do about it. The question is about the rate of leakage. If the unit was filled in 1999, it is entirely plausible that the unit could use a couple of pounds of refrigerant while not having "a leak".
>>
>>1139505
I've yet to find a system that was low without a massive leak. I've found 3 systems that were leaking in the line set and not from the evap or condenser.
>>
>>1137065
there are models that deliver rated output down to -15 degrees, but yeah I would want a backup gas heater for the really cold days.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.