[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fugg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: 20170225_134100.jpg (2MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20170225_134100.jpg
2MB, 2976x2976px
>fugg
>>
>>1136176
Nice vises cost a lot of money for a reason
>>
>>1136176
Stop using pipes for extra leverage, you baboon!
>>
File: IMG-20170225-WA0002.jpg (909KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170225-WA0002.jpg
909KB, 3264x1836px
>>1136182

How did you know?
>>
Yup, guilty of cracking mine like this too. Haven't had a vise since, but i hope to eventually replace it with a structural steel vise like the type ibuildit.ca built.
>>
File: DSCN00162.jpg (3MB, 4081x3061px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00162.jpg
3MB, 4081x3061px
>masterrace steel vise
>>
>>1136176
Ha ha, Grizzly.
>>
>>1136176
get some cast iron welding rod and go to town
>>
>>1136176
OP, i think you've outgrown the china vice. time for a hydraulic press.
>>
>>1136227
>clotheshanger masterrace
>>
I used used have a really nice vice that I picked up on a local classifieds.
English, 1940s, MOD markings, used but in near perfect conition. Smooth as butter.
Almost two feet long closed.
You could use it as an anvil if you wanted to.

It was painted with linseed oil early on in life which pretty much preserved it in bronzed glory for eternity.

Until a week after I got it, when I went into the shop and found weld spatter on it.
Either my fucking Father or Brother tried to strike an arc on it and ruined the non replaceable jaws. Neither of them would admit to doing it.
No amount of careful filing could fix them.

I sold it for scrap out of spite, and from that day forward I started locking away every single tool that I owned.

Now we have a cheap chinese vice and I still get mad everytime I have to use it.
>>
>>1136272
it may be, you spent months trying to fix it, you wasted time and cash, you now hate your inferior work tools as much as you hate your own family and you have slowly become that complete PITA who goes mad when ever someone looks sideways at *his* screwdriver, however..

..you have known the joy of a good vice, if only for a brief few days. Worth the remainder of your life becoming hell for, everytime.
>>
plebs and their cast iron vices

forged steel master race.
>>
>>1136176
Ah yes, thats a common phase of iron known as "chinesite"
>>
>>1136272
was it Record, Woden, Samsonia or another make?
>>
>tfw just finished cleaning up a littlestown vise i got for $10
feels good not using chinese trash
>>
File: Prentiss.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Prentiss.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>1136176
>>1136192
What were you trying to do when it broke?

>tfw recently picked up a Prentiss at an estate sale but living in a condo currently and won't get to mount it or use it until we find a house

>>1136288
Plenty of cast iron vises around that have survived decades of heavy use.
>>
>>1136176
So is every vice with that same light blue paintjob complete shite? Because I have one too...
>>
>>1136334
Green is the superior color for vises
>>
>>1136335
The best vices aren't painted at all.
The shit tier ones I've seen are almost all orange with thick paint to cover any cracks or defects in the casting.
>>
>>1136342
>The best vices aren't painted at all.
I don't know of any at all that aren't painted from the factory.
>>
File: vise.jpg (325KB, 645x960px) Image search: [Google]
vise.jpg
325KB, 645x960px
Any kid who's spent ten minutes in their grandpa's garage knows that this is the hierarchy.
>>
>>1136360
>any kid
Any Australian kid, maybe.
>>
>>1136360
This is a stupid post
>>
>>1136360
That third one is a woodworking vise. Why it's between two bench vises I'll never know.
>>
>>1136389
The first one is a CNC vise
He must have only spent 10 minutes in a garage
>>
>>1136176
I was considering buying a harvor freight vise, you talked me out of it
>>
How can such thing even happen?
>>
>>1136405
chink steel
>>
>>1136407
"steel"
>>
>>1136405
He was trying to clamp adamantium ib the vise and it just shattered. Same thing happened when i owed him money and he clamped my dick.
>>
>>1136403
If you don't need it right away, take the time to look for a good old one locally.

Failing that, you'd be surprised what you can get a good one for on eBay, even with shipping.
>>
>>1136405
Cast iron is shit and gets even worse with age.
>>
>>1136272
>No amount of careful filing could fix them.

Then you were doing it wrong (using a file) and got mad at yourself then vented by scrapping the vise.

Any iron or steel surface on a vise can be repaired. Where jaws are integral, it's simple to have them milled for replaceable jaws by a local machine shop. If poorfag, a flap disc in an angle grinder will remove weld spatter and can level surfaces pretty well with some practice.

You can make removable vise jaw covers of aluminum or copper with very simple tools.

End your emotional reactions. Every metalworker , mechanic etc has to learn to master emotions so they make fewer dumb mistakes. Scrapping the vise was dumber than striking an arc on it. Stop acting like your relatives.

As for OP, now he knows a vise is not a press! Everyone breaks a cheap vise or two. Perfectly normal. OTOH I've a cheap vise like OPs that lives outdoors for welding etc and works fine. I anti-seized the screw and dump waste paint on the exterior every now and them. About fifteen years so far with no problem.

The most god tier vise is a Kurt milling machine vise. Self and bro scored several for fifty bucks each at a liquidation sale including four rotary bases.. Rebuild kits are cheap.

https://www.kurtworkholding.com/

If someone knows what they are, Kurts are expensive. Lookee da pics so you may score from someone who doesn't know what they have. Ignore oil, filth etc. That cleans off. Mine were so covered in chips they looked like iron granola bars and were coated with old cutting oil which preserved them.
>>
>>1136176
Today in shop class we are going to learn the difference between vises and presses.
>>
>>1136574
came here to post that OP needs press, not vice

Or ghetto, put 2 chunks of metal, strap it all together, then put between floor jack and frame of heavy truck
>>
>>1136550
Having the jaws milled and jaw inserts made would cost far more than the vise is worth unless it were particularly huge/rare/collectable.

Aluminum and copper jaws would absolutely blow unless you specifically wanted them to be soft metal. Generally people use temporary caps to serve that purpose. Usually when the jaws aren't replaceable there is actually hardened steel cast in to the ends.
>>
>>1136176
chinesium + i got this = failure
get a dake press, they're only like 500 bucks. or make your own screw press, dealers choice
>>
File: 1484155816350.jpg (59KB, 500x366px)
1484155816350.jpg
59KB, 500x366px
>>1136324
[Heavy breathing]
>>
>>1136324
motherfucker that's an anvil
>>
>>1136324

Thats hot anon. Can you open it wide for us pls?
>>
>>1136797
>machinist's vise
>anvil
Careful, that kind of talk can get Vise Protective Services after you.

>>1136840
It's stored at a relative's house because I have no place for it here. I'm really looking forward to cleaning it up and mounting it once we move into a house.

Someone should make a /diy/ vise thread.
>>
File: thick.png (24KB, 210x156px)
thick.png
24KB, 210x156px
>>1136324
oh boy oh wow
>>
>>1136182
Cheater bars are love, cheater bars are life
>>
>>1136176
You'r harbor freight vice is not an anvil anon. Cast iron shit...
>>
>>1136192
Cause we all have done it. Surorised yiur handle isnt bent to fuck like all mine.
>>
>>1136213
Mutherfucker i been 5 months hunting a leg vice for blacksmithing
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 228x222px)
images.jpg
6KB, 228x222px
>>1136395
Some of us only had a grandpa for like a year. Then he got caught cheating on grandma and moved away.

>mfw not biological grandoa marries grandma 10 years before i am born.
>mfw 16 i can drive. Go 30 miles to mow the grandarents.
>mfw all the mowers and shit are gone, grandoa is gone. And just usnt grandoa anymore.

What fresh hell is life...
>>
>>1136324

I was trying to remove a union from a tie rod end.

I am for sure spinning it the correct way. Bitch is just SIEZED. Been soaking in brake fluid for 2 days and still doesn't want to come apart. Might just have to buy one.
>>
>>1136176
shity chink vise and you using a fucking pipe thats the problem
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.