[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wooden Blacksmithing shop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: workshop.jpg (55KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
workshop.jpg
55KB, 720x540px
Good day fellows,

I have been blacksmithing on a homebuilt forge for quite some time now. The annoying thing is, I can only do it outside (much to love of the neighbours, of which I don't care - the ones I'd care about have hearing disability already and the other ones are yuppie fucks) which is pretty shitty because I can't work when it rains. Water and furnace are no good combination.
Also prying eyes are sometimes a nuisance when you just wanna work in peace.
Now I've done some research, and hell, there's a lot of shops out there whoms exterior was built from wood. Now I understand that fire and wood is a very bad idea, but it got me wondering on how they did the insulation.

Read somewhere that they'd run a mixture on the ground which would get very hard after setting (sounds like concrete to me, but it was stated that it had to be sprinkled with water after every day). More interesting though is the walls.

I have a big space readily available at home. Problem is, it's a wooden barn. I don't wanna burn the place to the ground.
The to me most obvious approach is to line the walls with bricks and cement. Could work quite well. But then there's still the ceiling. Of course, most forges have this thing to keep the sparks from flying to far and to direct the smoke. But there is still sparks and they could get the wood of the top floor to burn, for it is dry. Is there some kind of fire insulation that can be screwed onto the ceiling and then never be messed with again?
Certain types of insulation wool are a mess because of the fibres.

I mean, after I fireproof the whole place it shouldn't be a problem. Just gotta keep the ventilation in check. Heck, I even have more than one of them old wood burning stoves/oven, I bet it'd be hella good a furnace if converted right.

Is lining the floor with concrete, the walls with brick and mortar and the ceiling with gypsum panels a solid plan for building a blacksmith workshop?
>>
Chimney and spark cover is the most important part once you get the rest tidied up and anything flammable out of the roof
That'll be the place sparks go, stops you gassing yourself, burning down forests etc
Windows are 'optional' in the sense that if they're covered over and keep the light out its easier to judge the temperature of metals
>>
solid wod even has a certificate to be fireproof for a certain time.

Ever tried to burn a log with a lighter?
>>
>>1134371

While greatly time consuming that is not impossible.
>>
If you tried to light a fire you would know that wood does not just burst up in flame unlike what many people think.
The main risk in a wooden shop would be a spark going into some fissure and instead of going out it starts smoldering slowly. It can keep smoking for hours and turn into a fire in the middle of the night. But if you find a fireproof substance to protect the wood it should be ok
I wonder if whitewashing would be a good solution
>>
>>1134799

That's exactly what I am worried about. Might not have phrased it right. The wood is pretty dry though, has been drying for ages.
There is flame retardent paint, but it probably is not enough to seal.
Found this link, but I don't really feel like playing with chemicals in my free time.
http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Henley-s-20th-Century-Formulas-Recipes-Processes-Vol2/Fireproofing-of-Wood.html

Fuck it, the best way probably is to take sheets of metal and apply them to wall and ceiling area, sealing all the gaps with some kinda non-flammable sealent. Should I end up doing that I'll post a picture...
>>
>>1134802
Sheet metal will cost you a fortune you could use drywall which will not burn.
For the floor why don't you cover it with concrete or cheap tiles/brickwork?
>>
>>1134804

That's what I'll end up doing. Concrete floor is nice and level if done right, after all.
Drywall seems like the best option really. It's gonna take a while until I'll be back home, but certainly drywall seems appropriate.
>>
>>1134814
Sheet metal is probably tough but it would be a sad place to be in. Also when it's summer and you get the forge going it'll be like being in an oven
>>
>>1134316
Are sheets of rockwool out of the question? Think its pretty standard for this kind of shit.
As it both insulates and fireproofs
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>1134814
Drywall for walls and ceiling is okay but for the floor you would need tough concrete reinforced with rebar.
I have put my anvil on a stump on 10cm concrete with a rebar mesh in it but I found it works much better when the stump is sitting on dirt because it absorbs the blows instead of giving them back like concrete. A springy wood floor is even worse unless you have a really massive stump
I think a brick floor would look awesome like in old factories
>>
We just built a blacksmith shop at work, brought in a whole bunch of Amish and everything.

We just have wood walls and a dirt floor, the Amish dude in charge was very clear that we had to leave it dirt because the dirt will smother out any sparks better than concrete.

Also, you are way over thinking it, your forge won't burn your shop down if you install it correctly, it's a glorified fire place. If you are really worried about it, you could always brick up the wall around it. What will burn your shop down is a messy floor around your anvil, keep it clean and watch your sparks.
>>
>>1134818

They are a fucking bitch to install. And you have to cover em up somehow.

>>1134845

Sadly, I know of no amish community in my highly regulated country. Keeping the floor dirt is kinda unconventional I guess but it makes sense.

We'll see in a month or so.

>>1134819
That would look amazing. But not very level.
>>
>>1134316
Are you the ausbro that inherited the shed?

If so, fucking great to see you're still at it man. If not, well, carry on, and bask in my jelly.
>>
You don't need to cover the walls. Mine is a 20x20 workshop with wooden walls, wooden shelves, barrels of oil and transmission fluid, canisters of propane, sheaves of paper, and a dirt floor.

In the 5 years I've been doing this shit I've never had a fire in my workshop that I didn't start.
>>
>>1134316
There is probably some sort of code where you live. In my country double drywall means 60 minutes of fire resistance, it takes an hour of fire (or 30 min? Can't really remember) to burn through. So you can do heat and sparkproducing work in that area. To work with heat and sparks (burning, welding, grinding and the shit) you need to have a certification over here. On the short and quite silly course to aquire the certification they made it quite clear that fires start because you have something flammable around you (duh!) and its easy to avoid them. Keep the area clean and don't store flammable shit around fire. Designate an area for you hot work (welding, grinding) and keep it there. Have shit around your anvil clean.

Don't be like anon below...
>>1135757
Such an argument.
>>
>>1135777
>To work with heat and sparks (burning, welding, grinding and the shit) you need to have a certification over here

What kind of fucking nanny state requires certification to use a grinder?
>>
>>1134316
Put furnace away from walls
Keep fire extinguisher nearby
Don't live in a dry climate/burn stuff on dry days

I know a guy who has a tiny ass shack with barely enough space to stand in and he has a bigass forge in there. You'll be fine
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.