[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toilet Water Valve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4136.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4136.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I live in a very old apartment and I need to turn off the water valve to attach a T-adapter (so that I can splice it to a CatGenie self-washing toilet). However, there's no standard knob below the toilet cistern (pic).
My supers are pretty much useless and the office even more so (note the stripping). They THINK my studio apartment "shares a water main with another unit"? And they MAY get around to ordering a new valve, "Call back in a few days". After almost 2 years of no maintenance here, I know what that means.
So what can I do? Is the lack of knob like this common? I was of buying and attaching a knob using JB weld to see if that'll give me some control over the water flow. Id be happy to hire a plumber, just want to know if anyone has a workaround.
>>
is that supposed to be a shut off valve on the end?

what about under the sink?

you might not have a choice other than the main shutoff
>>
>>1134217
If u can be quick and wanna take a bath just jerk the old on off and stick the other on on open so u dont fight pressure. Be sure and liquid teflone tape the threads on the nipple and hope it holds. Get it good and tight and turn the valve off. Hook uo your shit. I've done it on a 3rd floor apartment for about the same reasons. Just grab every old towl and blanket you have and throw a plastic sheet down so u dont flood the nighbors. Have fun.
>>
File: 32313633.jpg (47KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
32313633.jpg
47KB, 298x298px
>>1134217
Use a pair of quality vice grips on that nub?
I guess you could file it down to a square shape. Had a outside spigot that stripped. My dad filed it until it fit a handle with a square hole.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (379KB, 1600x956px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
379KB, 1600x956px
>>1134428
If those are too big, gas cylinders have a smaller hole.
>>
>>1134217
The shut off valve appears to be stripped, likely by the previous tenant(s.) Part of the reason why landlords don't want tenants fucking with the plumbing, like what you want to do. Quite frankly, while it is always a good idea to have the shutoff vale working in case of an emergency, it's appears they don't find it a priority to purchase and have a plumber install one just because you're a lazy fuck who doesn't clean after their cat. Clearly, from the look of the floor, you're a filthy cunt.
>>
>>1134422
Yes this is totally a good idea in a property you don't own. I've done this before several times, although not at full psi, usually when a valve doesn't close all the way and it's still a motherfucker. Unless you live in some 3rd world shithole where the water pressure is only 40psi don't do this.

OP, fuck up the float in your toilet so it's constantly running and needs to be replaced. When they call a plumber any sensible should install a new valve.
>>
>>1134217
freeze the pipe. you can buy a spray at plumbing suppliers that you spray the pipe with and it freezes the water inside making a plug. iv done it a bunch of times. around here the brand is arctic spray.

just freeze the coppy pipe, have a replacement valve ready and just switch it quick.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1134541
>OP, fuck up the float in your toilet so it's constantly running and needs to be replaced. When they call a plumber any sensible should install a new valve.

Here's another thing I've never seen: mine doesn't seem to have a typical float. I'm guessing it's the black thing here in this photo. I have the feeling this whole setup is older than I think. >>1134553
That sounds like my next option, it won't damage the pipes?
Right now I got the JB weld and a knob for this and hope I can get it to turn..
>>
>>1134217
Get a knob, get some quick steel, shove quick steel into knob, jam it on the valve. Or quit being a vagina and manage to turn it off with pliers.
>>
>>1134605
That's a pretty standard modern type of flush valve. Old skool is the rod and floater.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.