[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ceramics Bread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 123.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Haven't worked with clay in forever, trying to make Koryo Celadon type stuff. Tips for custom glaze mixtures? Baking temp?

Pic is old high school project from years ago.
>>
>>1134119
i don't make it a habit to hand out internet compliments but that is bad ass how did you make that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI
>>
OP here, I used pottery wheel thing with a bunch of clay, had a layer of the white stuff then used black glaze kind of like ink wash painting. The pine tree needles were just done with a smallish brush, flicking it slightly. I wish I could describe the process better.
It's hollow on the inside.
*was
It broke about a year and a half ago. I guess I want to replace it.
>>
>>1134119
What types of kilns do you have access to?
>>
>>1134295
Typical university art classroom kilns?
Not taking ceramics course though, so idk if they'd let me use em
>>
>>1134332
Shit. Promising. Are you on campus today? Why don't you go down there and snoop around. Introduce yourself as a prospective ceramics student, that you have a background from high school and ask for a quick tour. Hopefully they'll have a gas kiln. If so, you're golden for celadons. Keep me posted.
>>
I've had success using terracotta and white glaze at stoneware temperature. The terracotta burns because of the high heat and goes a nice dark brown colour. You need to be careful because sometimes it warps and bubbles though.
>>
Took a ceramics class in undergrad was super fun and apparently had the knack for it...

Would love to take it up again.

Anyone got plans for a cheap/easy diy wheel? I'm fine with a kick wheel, whatever is easiest and more importantly cheapest.

Also no access to kiln... ):
>>
>>1134353
Heard of people getting away with this. What's your firing schedule?

>>1134367
http://makezine.com/2012/06/27/the-leach-treadle-wheel/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Country-Pottery-Kickwheel/?ALLSTEPS
>>
>>1134367
And you can make all the most beautiful pots in the world but they're just impermanent sand paintings without a kiln. Start keeping an eye on Craigslist for deals on beater electric kilns.
>>
>>1134586
A seasoned potter's guide to used kiln shopping:

You'd be surprised about how many used home studio electric kilns are out there hiding in garages and basements. There are going to be reasonable people who just want them gone, and there are nuts who think they're sitting on a valuable treasure.

Condition:
Never used/lightly used computer controller, everything works: 25% less than retail.

Never used/lightly used analog kilnsitter control, everything works: 25-50% less than retail.

All weary, but still functional kilns: 50-75% less than retail

Total pieces of shit where nothing works, bricks are crumbling, elements shot, ancient pre-1990's tech: $100 or less. This is about equal or greater than it'll cost these people to have someone come haul this junk away. For you, it'll be a spare parts/firebrick salvage operation.

Be sure to acquire any firing props, kiln shelves, posts, pyrometric cones and kiln accessories. Most of these people don't realize they're worth more than the shitty kiln. Slipcasting molds are shit worth negative money. Old clay is worth slightly more than shit. Raw chemicals (especially frits and colorants) are valuable. Offer to help them clean those up because they're dangerous for kids and pets even though you'll have to do extensive testing to even use them.
>>
Update: Ceramics Professor on campus is super chill, suggests I take the course over Fall
semester.
>>1134600 Thanks for the advice, anon!
>>
>>1134688
Good! Glad it worked out. Did you get to see the kiln room/yard? If I knew what you're working with I'd fish for some good recipes.
>>
>>1134693
It's big?
Some of the larger pieces are almost 2 feet tall.
>>
>>1134125
Thanks for the compliment!!!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.