[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Fan Power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

So I am running 2 coolermaster 12v .16a fans off an old radioshack 500mA ac adapter, so far it runs cool when left on 24/7.

I was thinking of adding another fan, possibly with a 100ohm resistor.

Would this cause any problems with my power supply? kill a watt says it uses a .7 power factor and 400mA from the outlet.
>>
2 @ .16A = .32A = 320mA for the two existing fans
The adapter is good for 500mA so you have 180mA to spare.
if the new fan also draws .16A (160mA) , you're just under the limit of 500mA, so that's fine.

>possibly with a 100ohm resistor
>12v .16a
R = V/A = 12/.16 = 75 ohms (assuming the new fan is the same as the old ones)
adding a 100 ohm R would drop the fan voltage to (R/Rt)*V = (75/175)*12 = 5.14Volts, and reduce the current to 12/175 = 69mA.

12V, 160mA = 1.92watts
5.14V, 69mA = 0.35 watts
Don't know how well thet would work.

>kill a watt says it uses a .7 power factor and 400mA from the outlet.
Meaningless. It includes the power consumed by the adapter which is unrelated to the output current capability of 500mA.
>>
File: wire-to-5v.png (3KB, 446x300px) Image search: [Google]
wire-to-5v.png
3KB, 446x300px
>>1133968

If in a pc just wire the fan to 5v
>>
>>1135429
5V may not be enough to spin some fans, an alternative is to wire it between 12 and 5, so you get 7V
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.