[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suggestions on bracing roof better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

Recently I have tried to put solar panels on my house but the company said they won't do it because my house had a minor ridge sag. I was told that I could brace my attic more and then have an engineer come in to approve that my roof could hold at least an additional 3psf over it's current load and I don't have to push the ridge back up to level.

Any suggestions on bracing my attic better or do you think it's good enough as it is. Or is this something I should call a contractor for. If so how expensive do you think that might end up being if I pay someone to do it.
>>
>>
>>
>>1133866
>>
>>1133866
>Recently I have tried to put solar panels on my house but the company said they won't do it because my house had a minor ridge sag
Fuck that shit. Hire a different company.
>>
>>1133866
Anon, don't worry, every old house has a minor ridge sag

First thing I see that I don't like is the ridge-beam. It looks like just 1 board, hopefully a 2x.

You could try jacking-up the ridge, but risk damaging the walls in the rooms below.

I would use Hurricane Clips, to "tie" your rafters to the ridge-beam, and down where the rafters meet the wall top-plate.

Then "knee wall" down the lengths of the attic.
The braces that are there now are BAD, done wrong.

Run 2x4's down the length of the attic, on the floor and up on the rafters, join these 2 plates with vertical 2x4's and more Hurricane Clips.

ALL WORK TO BE AFFIXED WITH LAG SCREWS.

You'll have several hundred dollars in hardware, but your house will be about as strong as you can make it without extensive reworking of the structure.
>>
>>1133866
just put the solar panels up yourself
>>
File: CollarTies.jpg (42KB, 504x378px) Image search: [Google]
CollarTies.jpg
42KB, 504x378px
>>1133866
>>
>>1133866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNsHgsUstw
>>
>>1133866
ridge board is fine, the walls in the center of the house have bowed slightly over time. collar ties is your best option. triangles mah nigga.
>>
File: 20170215_133047.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170215_133047.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I'm doing the flooring for an attic and these beams are in the way,what are they for?
>>
>>1134051
>what are they for?

they're angle braces to make it stay square (the ceiling)
>>
>>1134078
Thanks for getting back to me,so I should just leabe them well alone then,so how do I even put down flooring then?
>>
>>1134085
If you're going to jack up the ridge you'll need room for supporting braces and/or legs.
You won't have much room for a floor anyway.

If there is a wall directly below the ridge you can use the wall as a base for members to remove the sag from the ridge.
>>
>>1134051
Are those 2x4's or 2x something else?

Don't floor over 2x4's
>>
>>1133866
I'll take collar ties for 500 Alec.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.