[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flooding problems, dumb questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: flood.jpg (13KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
flood.jpg
13KB, 300x225px
This is a long shot but /diy/ has some pretty smart guys. I live in the pacific north west. We've been having a drought pretty much the entire time Ive lived here and never had flooding issues but now all of a sudden some fucking storm has dropped about 3 years worth of rain in my yard and now everything is a foot deep in water. Literally. My green house, my garden, the chicken coup, it's the craziest shit I've ever seen.

As it turns out my property is the low point in which all other properties drain into and now I own a fucking lake.

The previous owner stated that she "installed french drains" by digging some trenches, filling them with gravel, and then covering them with grass and while I dont know much about drains, that doesn't sound like a drain. Coincidentally the deeper parts of the lake seem to be suspiciously where said "drains" are.

We are expecting more rain this week and it already appears that there's half a foot of water under my god damn house and I'm getting paranoid.

I'm not really sure what the hell I should do at this point. One friend recommended running a pump out and dumping it into the highway drainage ditch, but thats a pretty fair distance away, and another brain stormed the idea of pumping it into the sewage pipe. I imagine that would really fuck things up but I'm no plumber. It's way too late to sandbag and it doesnt seem like the water is going to receed any time soon so what the fuck.

Is the diy solution to this to just pray for sunshine and hope the water doesnt start coming up through my floor? I definitely know what to do after this shit clears up, going to raise the fuck out of my yard and erect a barrier by the neighboring fences so shit stops flowing into my property.

To be clear, this is purely rain water/run off from my roof and the neighbors roofs. No rivers or streams. I don't understand at all why the water is content to pool in my property because it isnt even that low. some underlying soil problem, perhaps?
>>
>>1133768
That actually is what a French drain is.... but they are not about draining massive amounts of water. They are designed to provide a patheay of low hydrostatic preasure for ground and normal rainfall to follow away from the foundation of your house.
For right now. If tou are the lowest of the low points your boned. But if your not, and there is some where you can pump the water to (city storm drain would be ideal,) goto harbor freight and buy a gas or electric ( but really gas is best) powered irrigation pump. Preferably one that does not need to be primed. And a discharge hose.

Pump the water out ,but not into someone elses property ( that is asking to be sued ) if there is a city drain or a creek bed, that would be best.

For your home i hope you have a sump pump if you have a basement.

If you just have a crawl space, clear a path for water to drain.

Once this all passes talk to your insurer. You may need flood insurance, as most if not all "flood " damage is not covered under homeowners insurance
>>
>>1133774
thanks for the advice, appreciate it.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.