[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy graphing calculator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 71RH7Vj8FUL._SY355_.jpg (17KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71RH7Vj8FUL._SY355_.jpg
17KB, 355x355px
For some reason, I've been wanting to make my own graphing calculator as my TI 84 is starting to slow down and become a potato. Any tips?
>>
I mean.. a raspberry pi would set you straight
>>
>>1133709
Making how? Like putting the internals of an 89 in an 83 case?
>>
>>1133709
Reformat it's hard drive.
>1mb flash
Put a 512 gb pcie ssd in it.
>128 k of ram
Put 16 gigs of ram in it.
>>
>>1133709
Install Gentoo
>>
So you want to make one like take it apart and then put it back together or get the CPU, ram, screen, and put in the graphing software if so just buy a new one
>>
File: 1487098333483.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487098333483.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>1133709
>slow down and become a potato
its probably because of all the grease and soda you got inbetween the keys you disgusting pig
>>
You must start by creating the universe.
>>
Just get an hp prime and learn rpn
>>
You could install Mathematica on a raspberry pi, hook up an LCD, wire it into the keypad of a ti-84 or something, and power it with a little li-ion cell.
It could make a functional graphing calculator with more power in the same form factor and potentially be worth the effort.
Otherwise just fix the one you have or buy a new one. You're not beating a purpose built device like this without going all out.
>>
>>1133709
you can easily speed it up by taking it apart, brushing the circuits with a toothbrush and putting it back together. small tin nano crystals grow from the solder and short the circuit. I speed up computers by doing this
>>
>>1133709
Can you even code?
If yes you can easly do this.
I gues its totaly doable on 8bit, personaly i would take xmega run it on like 24Mhz no need to have much of ram (the biggest xm128a1 have 16kb and external ram posibility)
and no need to have frame pic ram, this is not supposed to run movies on it.
So basicaly you need to have taht micro, lcd and keyboard, aku li-ion and ready to use charger popular tp4056.
It is easy and cheaper to use some popular color lcd, but would be better monochromatic 128x64, then you could make that pic frame buffer in mcu without extra ram, 128x64 is just 1024 bytes of ram but color lcd 320x240 is so much better looking. But propably useless in calc. The rest is code. xmega like avr may be coded BAScom, but C would be pro and little bit better. Schematic would be easy like fuck.
>>
>>1135151
me again.
I can see that 16kb could be too little, and 128x64 to, and there is no popular small 128x240, so would be easyer to use that color, there are popular easy to use qvga based on SPI, it is 4 line bus for communication. But no pic frame then.
>>
>>1134982
This times a thousand. Once you learn how to use an RPN calculator and they are not bad at all every other calculator is just a toy
>>
>>1134982
>>1135163
You realize that is DIY board, right?
>>
>>1135165
Always the worst justification for unnecessarily reinventing the wheel.

If he had the means to actually do it, he wouldn't have made this thread
>>
>>1135173
It's retarded anyway to wright on DIY board to "buy".
>>
>>1135165
And part of diy is knowing what things are appropriate to do yourself.

He wants a graphing calculator that's better for actual use than the 84, it's not going to happen. As a fun project, sure, but unless he's got an absurdly large budget, he's just going to end up with a calculator that's worse in every conceivable way (save for maybe the screen) than what he already has.
>>
>>1135178
Really?
At what point does it end?

A calculator is a tool.
You are trying to build your own tool, but you need to use other tools to build it. Under the same logic he should be /diy/ing to tools to build the tool to be */diy/*

He would need to "buyfag" the lcd and and other chips. Using your logic that isnt very /diy/ at all.
Its a slippery slope at which point he is sitting with a pile of silicon and no means to do anything with it.

The buyfag argument is retarded. You cant be surprised when people give you shit for retarded ideas.
>>
>>1133709
Dont listen to them. It is not that hard. But the coding may be. It is about how well you can code in C. Schematics is easy depending on what display you need and wish to use.
>>
Just get an hp 50g
>>
>>1135178
>wright

No, wanting to make stupid choices instead of learning where your /diy/ work can be productively educational vs. a waste of time is retarded.

Shooting down stupid autists is a duty of any board participant because otherwise more people would be fucking misdirected by autspergers.
>>
>>1133709

OP perhaps you should start by writing a calculator program, do it in C so it can be ported to what ever microarchitecture you wish.
>>
>>1135272
But this would teach OP something, if he is interested in programable electronics at all. If not then yes your right.
>>
>>1133709
My 10 year old TI 83+ still works perfectly fine
maybe get rid of all the bullshit programs and applications first
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.